ash_is_the_gal's Top 100, 2nd edition

→ in
Tools    

This Is England (2006)

"Honestly mate, you look sterling."

Shallow Grave (1994)

"They went up there alive and came back down dead! Did you notice that? The difference, I mean: alive, dead, dead, alive, that sort of thing?"
A great inclusion

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
12 Angry Men (1957)

"It's always difficult to keep personal prejudice out of a thing like this. And wherever you run into it, prejudice always obscures the truth."

Wolf Creek (2005)

"I'm going to do something now they used to do in Vietnam. It's called making a head on a stick."

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

"Look what your brother did to the door! Ain't he got no pride in his home?"

A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)

"There was a girl under the kitchen sink."

Sophie's Choice (1982)

"Don't you see? We are dying. I longed desperately to escape, to pack my bags and free, but I did not."

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)

"What is it you want, Mary? What do you want? You want the moon? Just say the word and I'll throw a lasso around it and pull it down. Hey. That's a pretty good idea. I'll give you the moon, Mary."

The Wrestler (2008)

"When you live hard and you play hard and burn the candle at both ends... in this life, you can lose everything you love, everything that loves you. Alot of people told me that I'd never wrestle again, they said "he's washed up", "he's finished" , "he's a loser", "he's all through". You know what? The only ones gonna tell me when I'm through doing my thing, is you people here. You people here... you people here. You're my family."

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (1974)

"I don't sing with my ass!"

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)

"I swear, if you existed, I'd divorce you."

Welcome to the Dollhouse (1995)

"Dawn, you do not leave this table until you tell your sister that you love her!"

I didn't like Wolf Creek either... but I love The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Just out of interest Ash, with such a large turnover of films do you really think all these films are better than those from your previous list? Or do you think a lot has to do with the freshness of them in your mind?

Just I struggled at times trying to work out if I wanted to put a film on the list either because it deserved it, or did I just feel it should go on because I've seen it recently and it's nice and fresh. If you know what I mean

I managed to stop (most) of this by making two rules for my list. Firstly, there isn't a film on my list that I saw for the first time within the last year. Secondly, there isn't a film on my list that I've not seen at least five times.

I felt this meant that the films I had on my list were films that I truly loved, rather than one I was just impressed with or one that I didn't feel held up to repeat viewings.

Just out of interest Ash, with such a large turnover of films do you really think all these films are better than those from your previous list? Or do you think a lot has to do with the freshness of them in your mind?

Just I struggled at times trying to work out if I wanted to put a film on the list either because it deserved it, or did I just feel it should go on because I've seen it recently and it's nice and fresh. If you know what I mean
to answer your question, no, i don't feel that all the movies from this list are better than those that were bumped off the other one; but i do think some of them are. there are various reasons for this. it could be like you said, the "freshness" of having just seen it. sometimes you change your mind on things on repeat viewings.

it also is because i've watched a lot of movies in the past 3 years that i'd never seen, and there's still so many visionary films i've not seen. it's so daunting thinking about it, but i try to watch as much as i can. this is why it'd be hard for me to judge things based on how honeykid does it - for one thing, i rarely watch movies more than once in a short period of time. sometimes i'll rewatch things a couple years later, but the only things that get repeated viewings from me are movies i've loved a very long time.

maybe i should make a list after this is over of all the films that were bumped off, explaining why.

nah, forget it. sounds tedious as hell.

Welcome to the human race...
I managed to stop (most) of this by making two rules for my list. Firstly, there isn't a film on my list that I saw for the first time within the last year. Secondly, there isn't a film on my list that I've not seen at least five times.

I felt this meant that the films I had on my list were films that I truly loved, rather than one I was just impressed with or one that I didn't feel held up to repeat viewings.
*takes this into consideration, delays publishing of revised list by another six years*

Thanks for taking the time to give me an answer Ash. I was just wondering both with the large turnover, and also looking at my list now there are some I've seen or re-seen recently where I either wonder if it should be that high, or even be there at all.

Five times?!!! Wow there are some films I absolutely adore and are definite stick-ons on my list that I've maybe not seen that many times. I seem a lot more like Ash in terms of how often I watch and rewatch films. I just don't like to watch films or TV shows over and over in case I get bored with them, or at the very least my love for them dips.

i don't mind that there is a large turn over. i like having lists of things i loved during certain time periods to look back on.

The Sound of Music (1965)

"Oh, there's nothing wrong with the children. Only the governesses."

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

"My crotch is still here, just as you remembered it."
"Yuck!"

The Princess Bride (1987)

"Tyrone, you know how much I love watching you work, but I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped."

The Big Chill (1983)

"The last time I spoke with Alex, we had a fight. I yelled at him."
"That's probably why he killed himself... What was the argument about?"
"I told him he was wasting his life."

The Descent (2005)

"What about you Holly, got a man?"
"Oh I'm a sports **** like Juno."

The Iron Giant (1999)

"Superman."

Kikujiro (1999)

"You're a farmer, huh?"
"No, no. I'm a banker."
"You're kidding. With a face like that?"

The Ice Storm (1997)

"On the self-abuse front - and this is important - I don't think it's advisable to do it in the shower. It wastes water and electricity and because we all expect you to be doing it there in any case."

Dark Victory (1939)

"I think I'll have a large order of prognosis negative!"

King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters (2007)

"I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs. I play video games, which I think is a far superior addiction to any of those other ones."

Couple of great films there but I won't go into detail as they may soon appear on my list as well.

Baby Face (1933)

"Yeah, I'm a tramp, and who's to blame? My Father. A swell start you gave me. Ever since I was fourteen, what's it been? Nothing but men! Dirty rotten men! And you're lower than any of them. I'll hate you as long as I live!"

Paper Moon (1973)

"You already got bone structure. When I was your age I didn't have no bone structure. Took me years to get bone structure. And don't think bone structure's not important. People didn't decide to call me "Mademoiselle" until I was seventeen and getting a little bone structure."

Sideways (2004)

"Betcha that chick's two tons of fun."

The Secret Garden (1993)

"You've got tigers and elephants in India, but have you not got skipping ropes?"

Little Women (1994)

"Well, of course Aunt March prefers Amy over me. Why shouldn't she? I'm ugly and awkward and I always say the wrong things. I fly around throwing away perfectly good marriage proposals. I love our home, but I'm just so fitful and I can't stand being here! I'm sorry, I'm sorry Marmee. There's just something really wrong with me. I want to change, but I - I can't. And I just know I'll never fit in anywhere."

Aladdin (1992)

"Do not be fooled by its commonplace appearance. Like so many things, it is not what outside, but what is inside that counts. This is no ordinary lamp. It once changed the course of a young man's life. A young man, who, like this lamp, was more than what he seemed. A diamond in the rough."

Jezebel (1938)

"This is 1852 dumplin', 1852, not the Dark Ages. Girls don't have to simper around in white just because they're not married."

Muriel's Wedding (1994)

"I could see your wheels."

Spirited Away (2001)

"You don't remember your name?"
"No, but for some reason I remember yours."

Pretty in Pink (1986)

"Love's a bitch, Duck. Love's a bitch."

You know, the mother often recommends The Big Chill, but I've not got around to seeing it. That good huh?
sorry, i must have missed this before.

anyway, The Big Chill is one of those nostalgia/quintessential 80's films. it's kind of impossible not to like, really.