Can mistakes and "goofs" ruin a movie?

Tools    

Zeiken, I can understand what your saying. If I saw a few boom mics sneak in the camera in Signs, it would kill the reality and the feel of the movie. If I was so into a movie and glued to my seat and I caught I glimpse of a boom mic, it would just take me back to reality and kill the mood. "Oh yea, I forgot. It's just a movie *sigh*."

One that always gets me is in Speed - the second greatest of Keanu Reeve's many masterpieces - when the lift thingy beeps an extra time; I have no idea why but it drives me nuts.

have no fear, CPMan is here..
Yes there are goofs in a certain movie but i try hard as hell to avoid it. but if im making a review of that movie, i wont avoid those things..

WE COME IN PEACE AND WITH GOODWIL
Originally Posted by 7thson
Top Secret had so many mistakes, I mean that cow was obviously a real one in some scenes and fake in others.
I know.. can you believe they used a fake cow!

it most certainly does bother some people...like when I notice an error...I jump up out of my seat...yell out loud "they f'd up!" then proceed to rewind, play, pause, rewind, play, pause, until I am confidently proud of myself and continue on with the movie, forgetting where we left off

my girlfriend HATES that

Horrorphiliac

Originally Posted by JBriscoe
it most certainly bother some people...like when I notice an error...jump up out of my seat...yell out loud "they f'd up!" then proceed to rewind, play, pause, rewind, play pause, until I am confidently proud of myself and continue on with the movie, forgetting where we left off

my girlfriend HATES that
Um so would I

If it's a good movie the goofs and mistakes don't really bother me(being a good movie meaning good story line and such. If it's already a good movie with no mistakes or goofs then obviously they don't ruin it). I can't think of one movie where the mistakes ruined it though, so I guess the question "Can mistakes and "goofs" ruin a movie?" is no.

Originally Posted by nebbit
Um so would I
I would've guessed that my informative rant would only warrant gratitude and appreciation!

You ready? You look ready.
I usually don't see mistakes or goofs until a repeat-repeat-repeat-repeat-(you get the picture) viewings. Usually, my dad and I only notice things that are impossible in real life and not production mistakes.

Ex. In Armageddon, the two shuttles take off within less then half a mile of each other. Yea, right. (Then again, it wouldn't be a movie if it was possible)
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I realize this thread is older than some of my grandkids, but . . .

Continuity mistakes can be immensely entertaining, especially in a really cheesy guilty-pleasure B- (or C- or D-) movie. So I'm sorry to say I almost never notice even glaring continuity mistakes,
WARNING: "Classic Goof Example" spoilers below
such as Bruce Willis's T-shirt changing color halfway through Die Hard
no matter how many times I watch the movie (and no matter how funny I think the mistake is, once it's pointed out to me).

Factual errors are a different story. For example, I'll either accept or reject wild historical inaccuracies depending on how seriously the movie takes itself. On the other hand, an anesthetized patient moaning while intubated (in Happy Birthday to Me) is really jarring. And, as common as it is, hearing sound in outer space has always driven me up the wall! (A couple of other common ones in horror movies are translucent blood, and killers attacking people with the blunt edge of the machete.)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Going to film school, you tend to notice these things a lot more than not. I would point them out to my wife and now she notices them. I've ruined movies for her.

Like in Mrs. Doubtfire when Williams grabs the fruit and throws it at Brosnan. It reappears after he's thrown it.

It gets funny when it happens in something like LOST and people are thinking it has some sort of deeper meaning.

Suspect's Reviews

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I dont go looking for them like some people do but I do notice sometimes. Doesnt ruin a movie for me, though. Just makes me think someone looking after continuity is lazy. I mean how hard is it to get right how much wine is in a glass or what shoes the actor is supposed to be wearing. I really liked it in Sharknado though. It was like one big homage to continuity errors.

Chief cook and bottlewasher
Continuity errors make me nuts but I can usually set them aside. Don't they pay somebody to look out for that stuff?

movies can be okay...
If they're excessive and noticeable then yes.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

They would have to be REALLY noticeable to ruin an entire movie...I know whenever I looked at the "mistakes and goofs" section of a movie's IMDB page, if they hadn't written about it, I never would have known about it...I don't know why, but some details I'm very picky about and others I don't notice at all.

I hate continuity errors in editing, they distract me from the movie. When you pick up on such errors, they're impossible to forget. If you know that a certain film is packed full of editing mistakes, can you still call it a good film? I know of lots of great movies with obvious mistakes (I don't want to mention any in case it ruins someone's viewing of the film), as I'm sure you do too.

So when you notice any mistakes or "goofs", do you try to ignore them? Or do you take them into account when judging the movie?
It's terrible really but I can't think of any proper goofs or errors, and certainly not ones that are bad enough to ruin something.

The only one that comes to mind is a 'repaired' mistake in the 1996 Doctor Who TV Movie. Paul McGann delivered the Doctor's scripted line "I have twelve lives" when it should have been thirteen. This was post-synched but, as it's a fairly big close-up, he's obviously saying twelve.

I Enjoy Working With People
A mistake has irked me significantly in a few movies, even though I try to ignore them. An example: in a scene in Goodfellas that takes place in the early 60's, a DC-10 is shown in a shot of an airport. There were no DC-10's in the early 60's. That is a mistake that I felt a fine filmmaker like Scorsese, with a big budget, should not make. It has irked me all these years, but I still admire the movie.

When I was a kid, I wrote to the makers of "The Six Million Dollar Man" television show about a continuity error in the program. They sent me an autographed photo montage of Lee Majors leaping, running, etc., that I still have somewhere.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
A mistake has irked me significantly in a few movies, even though I try to ignore them. An example: in a scene in Goodfellas that takes place in the early 60's, a DC-10 is shown in a shot of an airport. There were no DC-10's in the early 60's. That is a mistake that I felt a fine filmmaker like Scorsese, with a big budget, should not make. It has irked me all these years, but I still admire the movie.
Would most people notice or even know that? Things like that tend to be very specific to the viewer. It's not like they have iPhones running around.

I don't tend to notice those things unless it's very obvious. Like the iPhone analogy.