Favorite Comic Books/Graphic Novels

Tools    

That looks really cool.

Also wasn't Dynamite supposed to start publishing Phantom comics, was really eager to see what they do with it. Didn't care much for Moonstone's take on Phantom.

They are currently publishing a series titled "The Last Phantom." It's set in the jungle and the Phantom costume is composed of some kind of berry juice. I haven't read it myself, but I've seen mixed reviews of it.

Zombie Survival Guide

Could be. Sounds like the premise involves the Lone Ranger investigating the events of Zorro's death, though. One story told over a span of years involving the two characters rather than a direct team-up/crossover. Regardless, I'm just glad there's more Lone Ranger comics on the way since the regular series is ending next month.

I have left Dynamite's Zorro & Lone Ranger halfway.
It's been a long time I haven't read any comics.

Anyway I am glad they're experimenting with this.. I have to pick up the new Phantom as well..

Sometimes I wonder, will this lifetime be enough to experience all this goodness.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Just to let you guys know..I have an online buddy that has virtually any and every graphic novel and comicbook ever published available to d/l.

Chris and Mofoland frowns on this practise, so i won't link here, but feel free to pm me with your needs and wants in this area.

Ok, so i'm trying to brush up my comic knowledge with some of the more seminal stories. I've obviously got Watchmen, some guilty Army of Darkness vs Marvel Zombies, Ash Saves Obama, Freddy vs Jason vs Ash etc. Then recently got some Batman classics (so i've heard) - Year One, Dark Knight Strikes Again, Long Halloween, Knightfall Part 1 + Part 2. I want to get into Walking Dead which seems quite daunting (and expensive) at this point, some Sandman, Preacher etc or other classics.

What would you recommend reading, though without much prior reading of the original sources?

Craig Thompson's Blankets is one of my all-time favorites, and Art Spiegelman's Maus is a must-read, for sure. Check out THIS existing thread.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Quick shout out for Uzumaki. It doesn't have much of a plot and can't exactly be called thought provoking, but the visuals are unforgettable, and the finale is chilling.

Besides Watchmen, my essentials list would have to include

Elektra: Assassin by Frank Miller and Bill Sienkiewicz
Jimbo - Adventures in Paradise by Gary Panter
Believers and Arigatou by Naoki Yamamoto
Ode to Kirihito by Osamu Tezuka

Second Tier would definitely include:

Akira and Domu by Katsuhiro Otomo
Nausicaa by Hayao Miyazaki
Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller
Gyo and Uzumaki by Junji Ito
From Hell by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell
The Death Ray by Dan Clowes
The Incal by Alejandro Jodorowsky and Moebius
Parasyte by Hitoshi Iwaaki
Red Colored Elegy by Seiichi Hayashi
Ed the Happy Clown by Chester Brown
Hate by Pete Bagge
A Distant Neighborhood and Walking Man by Jiro Taniguchi
Cola Madness, Invasion of the Elvis Zombies, and Jimbo (Zongo miniseries) by Gary Panter
Rough and Touch by Mitsuru Adachi

I'll think of some others.

Thanks. That post definitely just went into a word document for future reference. I mean, Jodorowsky comic wtf.

i was fortunate to find a reprint of cinderella, and lenore..love these..

The Incal looks good but heard to track down!

Ordered the start of Akira, Lone Wolf and Cub, Battle Royale and The Walking Dead. Slowly gonna try and make way through them.

Next up I think are gonna be Preacher, Sandman, Y: The Last Man and generally anything Moore's written.

am reading Runaways

The teens who became the Runaways found that some family secrets are bigger than others when they witnessed their parents, part of a cabal known as the Pride, murdering a young girl during a secret sacrificial ritual. Running away from their homes, the group banded together and began a journey of discovery, both of their parents' origins and of their own inherited powers. Arsenic found she could control her time-traveling parents' dinosaur, which she named Old Lace; Sister Grimm took her mother's magical Staff of One, with which she could cast any spell, but only once; the mutant Bruiser found that with puberty came super strength; Lucy in the Sky learned that she was an alien with energy powers; Talkback took several of his mad scientist parents' weapons; however, Alex Wilder, possessing only his own natural genius, retained use of his real name.
Forced to fight their parents at various points, the group was even framed for the murder of the girl whom they had earlier witnessed their parents sacrificing. Taking an old abandoned mansion which they called the Hostel as their new home, the Runaways set about clearing their name. Breaking up a robbery, the group welcomed a new member, a teen named Topher who claimed his parents forced him to help them with their crimes. Topher, in actuality a vampire born at the turn of the 20th century, set about seducing both Sister Grimm and Lucy in the Sky, but was killed when he attempted to drink Lucy's solar-irradiated alien blood. The Pride then exposed his followers to sunlight, killing them as well.

Using their more legitimate connections the Pride convinced Cloak and Dagger to come to California and collect their kids. After a misunderstanding, most of the Runaways ended up inside of Cloak's cloak dimension, leaving only Bruiser and Arsenic to rescue them. Upon explaining their situation, the Runaways convinced Cloak and Dagger of their innocence, and the duo promised to call Captain America to help them, although their memories were erased by the Pride before they could do so. The discovery of the Hostel by the police, whom the Pride had in their pocket, forced the Runaways to take the battle to their parents once more.

Nico Minoru aka Sister Grimm
Discovering their parents served ancient beings known as the Gibborim who intended to re-create the Earth using the Pride as their catalysts and repopulators, the Runaways found the location where the Pride intended to sacrifice the soul of the girl they had murdered. Confronting their parents, the Runaways were shocked when Alex Wilder revealed his alliance with the Pride. Despite the defection, the Runaways were able to free the young girl's soul, causing the Gibborim to attack and apparently slay Alex and the Pride. Narrowly escaping, the group met Captain America, who had them placed in foster homes and orphanages; Bruiser was enrolled at the Xavier Institute.

Missing each other, the group again ran away and agreed to stay together as Runaways. Rescuing Arsenic's dinosaur, Old Lace, and taking Talkback's parents' giant vehicle, the Leapfrog, the group set out, determined to make something more of their new family.

With the death of the Pride, Los Angeles' 'protected' status was ended, and super-villains began flock to the unprotected city. With no one else to do the job, the Runaways returned to L.A. to protect it. They have fought Swarm, the Wrecking Crew, and, perhaps in their biggest struggle to date, a new Pride formed of Alex Wilder's online friends, led by a resurrected Geoffrey Wilder.

http://marvel.com/universe/Runaways