Favorite Comic Books/Graphic Novels

Tools    

I enjoyed reading A Dame To Kill For and Batman: Year One, and have recently been reading various Hellboy and Conan comics. But I want to find a decent comic that hasn't been made into a film yet.

So what are your favorite comic books that haven't been turned into films?

The People's Republic of Clogher

As you can probably tell, I haven't read a comic in some years...

Rogue Trooper, ABC Warriors, Halo Jones, Strontium Dog, Ro-Jaws & Hammerstein etc etc etc. I'll overlook the Judge Dredd film, if I may.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Heheh. I'm in the same boat. Dipped in and out of 2000AD when i was a kiddling (and the Transformers mags aswell, to my shame ). Haven't read nigh on anything 'graphic novely' since.

You reminded me of this Aeon-Flux stylee 80s classic that i loved tho. The ludicrously named... Machine Man.

Erm, it's in Italian there, but it was dead nostalgic reading the synopsis. It had some decent dystopian dabblings, mixed with grimey optimism. Meliked .

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Preacher is probably my favourite comic series ever, it's so messed up and hilarious, but I would also say check out the original Authority series. All of the ones by Warren Ellis or Mark Millar, then after that, stop, cause DC comics totally ruined that series later on. Then read every issue of The Ultimates, which is a Marvel comic, but it's also the most twisted thing I think I've ever read, a scathing political satire on the past 5 years in the form of a super-hero comic.

Oh, and do yourself a huge favour and read Batman: the Dark Knight Returns. Best Batman comic EVER.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Golgot
Heheh. I'm in the same boat. Dipped in and out of 2000AD when i was a kiddling (and the Transformers mags aswell, to my shame ). Haven't read nigh on anything 'graphic novely' since.
I got bought my first copy in the late 70s (can remember Starlord too vaguely) but was far too young to appreciate anything more than Talking robots!!! and Huge guns!!!. I started to get into 2000AD a lot more in the early 80s and didn't miss a prog for 7 or 8 years when rock music and girls began to inhabit a higher shelf in my conciousness.

My prized Prog 500 got lost along the way but I've got the 1980 & 81 annuals in the loft.

Zarjaz!

I used to read the beano as a kid i bought all the comics, and sometimes the dandy.

In the Beginning...
To anyone who likes true story murder mysteries, I'd recommend Torso, by Brian Michael Bendis.

It tells the story of Eliot Ness' hunt for the "Torso" killer in 1930's Cleveland. He was obviously already known as the man who put Al Capone away, but he faced some harsh scrutiny with this serial murder case (and almost lost everything). Thrilling read, and a very dynamic black-and-white visual style. Check it out.

Four absoulte must-reads, for comic fans and non-comic fans alike, are....

WATCHMEN
Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons

THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS
Frank Miller with Klaus Janson & Lynn Varley

BLANKETS
Craig Thompson

MAUS: A Survivor's Tale
Art Spiegelman
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

there's a frog in my snake oil
Just think of all the forgotten forerunners to these modern classics tho. The ones that no-one cherishes anymore... the ones that went that extra mile to explore...

...racism...

...sexual exploration...

...colour-blindness...

...and even...

...moon-headedness...

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
WATCHMEN
Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons
By the way, you mentioned in another thread the Absolute Watchmen being a "must-own" for fans of the book. Well, I recently shucked out the cash and bought it, and boy am I glad I did. The huge hardcover collector's book is incredible, with the traditional parchment paper and tons of extras I'm still reading through. Really impressive. While I wouldn't recommend it to someone who hasn't read Watchmen (because sitting with this huge, heavy book in your lap could become a chore), I MUST recommend it to anyone who enjoyed Watchmen enough to own.

I was thinking of starting a comic thread, but I found this old one to resurrect instead.

Some of my favorite current comics:

The Lone Ranger (only one issue to go )
Atomic Robo
Project Superpowers
Warlord of Mars (only one issue so far, so they could still screw it up)

New from Dynamite. First issue is out now for only $1.00. They're doing a 2 issue "prelude" story, then an adaptation of "A Princess of Mars." Written by Arvid Nelson with art by Stephen Sadowski. Each issue has like 4 covers, but Joe Jusko is doing the best cover work, IMO. Here's his cover for #1...