MoFo Movie Club: Rashômon

Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I got your victim thing, once you said it, but thanks for 'splaining, Lucy.
I was saying it's interesting that my first reaction... the first layer I saw... was so different from the layer you mention. The thing that suprised me in their stories was that each claimed to have been the person who actually pushed in the dagger.

I found that interesting because we are adding a level to the truth/reality postulations that Kurosawa advanced:
A thing happened.
The people involved have their perceptions of the thing.
The people in the film who hear the story have their perceptions of the tales they hear.
And we have our varied perception of the film.
Freakin' cool.

Roll your eyes at me again, mister, and it'll be spanking time.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Roll your eyes at me again, mister, and it'll be spanking time.
LordyLord loves that sort of stuff, here borrow my whip.

Originally Posted by nebbit
LordyLord loves that sort of stuff, here borrow my whip.
heh! There isn't a man alive that nebbs doesn't know how to handle! You should write a book.

A system of cells interlinked
Very cool quote Sammy. I am just getting around to watching all the Altman stuff....

Originally Posted by Sedai
Very cool quote Sammy. I am just getting around to watching all the Altman stuff....
I loved it when he said that about art, Seds. I used to chat a lot with a bunch of artists on AOL and people were constantly asking for a definition of art. In ten years in that chat, no one offered anything that touches Altman's definition, IMO.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Blockbuster.com has shipped Rashomon to me! Excellent!

oh and LA Confidential too, but not to get off topic....

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Go figure! I finally sit down to watch this film, get 50 minutes into it, and it kicks off at this point every time because the disc is scratched like a mofo. Block. Buster. Sucks.

A system of cells interlinked
Rashomon?? O man, bummer. You are having some bad luck with that one. Maybe check your library? They have many classics to borrow sometimes....

there's a frog in my snake oil
Yay, bit late, but yaaay. I finally get to read these comments (I snuck a look beforehand, but they didn't spoil nowt - just covered and whipped me with light-dappling branches, and intrigued me)

I'll start again...

Rashomon

Can't really add much to what's been said - and i'm gonna have to buy the blessed thing now, coz it so is worth multiple viewings

All i'll say is...

Brian/Slay's point that the Rashomon is actually an outer gate/first line of defence made me think of the lies that've been told. That seems to ring true as a theme for the film - the defensive purpose of lies - as much as the subjectivity that is also intimately involved.

lines's point about each scene being presented in ways that are not entirely modelled on the narrator's subjectivity is an intriguing one. I had a similar feeling at points - but looking back i feel each story does mirror the subject well. The woodcutters 'intro' walk could almost be seen as him getting caught up in the lie - a well meaning man finding himself entangled in a far-ranging problem, which envelops/over-awes him for a while. The thief is just, what can i say, a Mifune pirate-bravado display which works all the way. And on and on. I liked the way the wife got a lot of time weeping and sighing to the invisible judges as well - just as Mifune's image-projecting bad-boy did. It helped suggest a certain desire to 'present' themselves.

What a bizarre twist-n-turn the medium is tho. Felt almost like there was an neat little jab about the role of lies, pride and norms in religion there (just as there was in the law court too) - with both aspects given a second representation in the straight-arrow priest and the highly-subjective lawman too. I'm almost certainly adding too much symmetry here, but i like the way both religion and law have an inner world to protect as well, which may be defended by lies - but both can also be seen as groups that seek to overcome those human frailties and wiles.

Slay's comment about the husbands 'In the forest, i heard a weeping' just sums up that bizarre, isolated, tortured 'testimony'. And at this point i'd also say that the S's egos/victims-of-circumstance assessment of all the protagonists fits well n'all. Both aspects are in play.

I think, to stop myself, i'll just comment on Seds point about the way the peasant pulls the Rashomon gate apart so unreflectively. Seeing the gate now as a representation of our defensive lies, it makes sense that he does so - because for him lies are merely practical things - and perhaps he has no decent human aspect left to protect. He has been stripped of as much human frailty as possible already - what does he, the nihilist, care if his actions ultimately destroy his last hopes for warmth and sanctuary.

Or some such thing

Anyways, great movie

Oh, PS - i took the woodcutter's second tale to be the closest to the truth. He was standing more before the 'lawcourt' of his conscience at that moment - or at least, he was presenting his first case

Oh, and the baby - yeah - perhaps a bit too sweetly wrapped, amongst the rags - but ultimately it worked for me - with the woodcutters face leaving the priest sillouetted in the storm-dawn-lit gate.

I really enjoyed this film a lot and if you haven't seen this film, I would recommend it since this is one of the best Akira Kurosawa films out there. That is all I what for the movie club discussion besides a little mini review that I have put on the Asian Movie Challenge and I will do this so the conversation can stay alive.

This film is memorizing to watch and this easily one of Akira Kurosawa's best film that he directed besides The Seven Samurai and High and Low in my opinion. The acting was fun to watch, but Toshiro Mifune easily outshined the rest of the actors in this movie. If you haven't seen it yet for the Asian movie challenge, I would recommend you see it right now.
Rating: 10/10

As a cynical person, I absolutely loved this movie, and also as a movie person I loved this movie. Great story that grips you and leaves you thinking when its over.
Fire walk with me.