2013 BAFTA Award Winners

Tools    

The 2013 BAFTA awards were on tonight. Below is a list of the nominations for the main 11 categories, with the winners in bold.

Best picture
Argo
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Zero Dark Thirty

Best British film
Anna Karenina
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Les Miserables
Seven Psychopaths
Skyfall

Best director
Ben Affleck, Argo
Kathryn Bigelow, Zero Dark Thirty
Michael Haneke, Amour
Ang Lee, Life of Pi
Quentin Tarantino, Django Unchained

Best actor
Ben Affleck, Argo
Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook
Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
Hugh Jackman, Les Misérables
Joaquin Phoenix, The Master

Best actress
Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
Marion Cotillard, Rust and Bone
Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
Helen Mirren, Hitchcock
Emmanuelle Riva, Amour

Best supporting actor
Alan Arkin, Argo
Javier Bardem, Skyfall
Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln
Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained

Best supporting actress
Amy Adams, The Master
Judi Dench, Skyfall
Sally Field, Lincoln
Anne Hathaway, Les Misérables
Helen Hunt, The Sessions

Best original screenplay
Paul Thomas Anderson, The Master
Wes Anderson and Roman Coppola, Moonrise Kingdom
Mark Boal, Zero Dark Thirty
Michael Haneke, Amour
Quentin Tarantino, Django Unchained

Best adapted screenplay
Lucy Alibar and Benh Zeitlin, Beasts of the Southern Wild
Tony Kushner, Lincoln
David Magee, Life of Pi
David O. Russell, Silver Linings Playbook
Chris Terrio, Argo

Best foreign film
Amour

Headhunters
The Hunt
Rust and Bone

Untouchable

Best documentary
The Imposter
Marley
McCullin
Searching for Sugar Man
West of Memphis

So like the Globes, Argo wins Best Picture and Best Director. I'm thinking Argo will win Best Picture at the Oscars now, even though Affleck isn't nominated for Director, which I still find odd.

Someone knows who was this girl with DDL last night?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
So if Argo wins every award for best picture, except the Oscar....is it still the Best Picture?

Suspect's Reviews

The strange thing isn't that Affleck didn't get an Oscar nom, it's that he didn't get an Oscar nom, yet is winning Best Director awards left, right and centre. The Academy cocked it up in a big way.

Academy always cocks it up, that's why I never take them seriously. Anyways, I have yet to see Argo, but based on the strength of Affleck's first two films, I think it's safe to say that Affleck is probably a deserving winner.

Had I not seenKiller Joe, I would have wondered why Juno Temple got an award. Not that's she's anything special in the film, she's alright, performance wise, but she's got a surprisingly perky bum for a girl of her stature.

Best documentary
The Imposter
Marley
McCullin
Searching for Sugar Man
West of Memphis
Nice.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Wow I must say I'm really digging the love for Argo in these shows. But since the academy didn't give Affleck a director nomination, I doubt it'll get picture at the Oscars.

Whilst I did enjoy Argo a lot and would give it a solid rating of
I didn't think it was anything special and suffered to me in the same way that Zero Dark Thirty did in the fact is was pretty much just a well told and executed straightforward story in which we knew what was going to happen, Argo was better though. Probably is the strongest film from the nominees that I've seen though, looking forward to watching Life of Pi soon hopefully.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Life of Pi is good, but I'd take Argo by an inch over it. Then again, I also thought personally Silver Linings Playbook, Django Unchained, and Les Mis were slightly better than Argo. But I'm rooting for Argo over Lincoln.