Dr. Jones's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

It was good, just not oscar worthy. I also thought The Hateful Eight could have replaced The Revenant.

I haven't seen The Hateful Eight yet, but I'm not a fan of Tarantino movies.
But in all seriousness, if you don't like Tarantino movies, you won't like the movie. It is the kind of film that if you love Tarantino, you'll love it, if you don't, you'll hate it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
But in all seriousness, if you don't like Tarantino movies, you won't like the movie. It is the kind of film that if you love Tarantino, you'll love it, if you don't, you'll hate it.

I've been told by several people who know my taste in movies that I won't like it, so I have no desire to see it. His movies are too violent for me.

Thanks. I have not seen Last of the Mohicans, but I will review the others in the next few days.

Good reviews keep it up ... Im looking forward of seeing more of them. The rum diary and the hateful eight.

The Hateful Eight

I apologize for my absence, but I have returned!

The Hateful Eight is directed by Quentin Tarantino, and stars Kurt Russell, Samuel L. Jackson, Walton Goggins, Jennifer-Jason Leigh, Bruce Dern, Tim Roth, and Channing Tatum. There are others as well, but I'm doing this off of the top of my head, and do not want to look it up. It is a very good movie, with strong performances from everyone in the film, the standouts being Samuel L. Jackson and Kurt Russell. The only person in the movie I didn't think was great was Walton Goggins in the first act. He seemed more like a character out of Blazing Saddles than a Tarantino film, but in the second act he takes a bit of a darker turn, and gives a very good performance. Another complaint I had was the narrator in the second act, which I think was forced in, to make it like an old western. The major complaint about the film is that it is boring, which it may be to the normal viewer or someone who doesn't like his movies. To someone like me, however, the film is incredible, and every word of dialogue is perfection. The score by Ennio Morricone is great, more than deserving of its oscar. All in all, The Hateful Eight is a great movie, and deserves to be added to Quentin Tarantino's legacy. It receives an A.

X-Men: Apocalypse

X-Men Apocalypse is directed by Brian Singer, and stars James Mcavoy and Michael Fassbender. This is not among the best of the X-Men films. It does have some very ambitious story elements, including the psychic fights, which were some of the best scenes. However, the new cast members were hit or miss, Cyclops being a miss. Nightcrawler was a hit. Storm was a hit. Psylocke, who is a glorified sex symbol in this, was a miss. Jubilee was a hit, although she had nothing to do in the film. Wolverine was good, simply because of the awesome action and straight out of the comics look. Apocalypse? If we are talking dart board terms, it hit the opposite wall. Oscar Isaac, who is normally very good, was not good at all. His accent fluctuated throughout the entire film. The way he looked was simply awful. He looked more like Archangel should have han Apocalypse. Oh, yeah. Archangel. Hey Fox! A blue face tattoo does not make the character have a blue face! That said, one of the other horseman, Magneto is the best part of the movie. His scene leading into him becoming a horseman is beautiful and heartbreaking. Okay, moving away from the characters, the action in this film is very good, apart from the first scene with Apocalypse, which just looks like it is from the mid-90s, especially the block of stone sliding down the tunnel to knock down the walls. Is the movie as bad as people say it is? No. But is it a lesser X-Men film? Yup. X-Men Apocalypse gets a B-

Labyrinth

Labyrinth is directed by Jim Henson and stars David Bowie and Jennifer Connelly. It is about a girl who has to rescue her brother from the labyrinth, from the goblins. It is a good movie, with a very good performance from David Bowie and a not-so-great performance from Jennifer Connelly. However, Jim Henson wildly inventive directing elevates the film. The animatronics are great, apart from the red head throwing guys, which are just plain bad. Half the time you can see the green screen behind them. The music in the film is bad, apart from Magic Dance, which is a very good song. Ludo is the best character in the movie, the animatronics mixing flawlessly with the real life. A problem with the movie is the painted backdrops, which stick out like Bowie's... you know. Anyway, Labyrinth is a great send-off to the great Jim Henson and worthy of David Bowie.

You have some good reviews going on here. I have only seen x-men apocalypse and labrinth so far.

I found x-men good but not the best in the series and labrinth was good and David bowie played the goblin king really well.

The Good Dinosaur

The good dinosaur is directed by Peter Sohn, and stars Raymond Ochoa, Frances Mcdormand, and Jeffrey Wright. It is not up to Pixar's usual standard. While a decent movie, it screams "Lion King With Dinosaurs". Even some of the shots were straight out of Lion King. Other than that, the film is mostly good, with some breathtaking animation, which does clash horribly with the cartoony dinosaurs. Arlo, our protagonist, is a whiny a-hole, who is hard to root for until the latter half of the movie. Spot, while cute and funny, does not really make sense. There is no reason for humans to get wolf-like tendencies just because an asteroid missed the earth. However, the action between Arlo and the T-rexes, and the Pterodactyls is awesome, but it cannot save a basic story with logic problems.

Hush(2016)

Hush is directed by Mike Flanagan, and stars Kate Siegel. It is about an author, who got meningitis when she was a teenager, and is a deaf mute. She lives a solitary existence in the woods. When a man in a mask kills her neighbor and comes after her, she needs to figure out what to do. Hush is one of the best horror films in recent memory. Its suspense is comparable with Hitchcock films of old. The action is incredible, and it does not let up. Going into the film, I was worried that it would drag, because of the premise, which does not seem to warrant a full-length feature. My fears were unfounded. I was on the edge of my seat the entire movie, which sounds clichéd, but if you watch the film, you will see that it is completely true. The killer, I will not tell you who he is played by, because it is apparently a surprise, gives a great performance.You can just tell that there is something off about him. Chilling small details add to the atmosphere. This is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. It is available on Netflix streaming, if you want to watch it.(You should.) Hush is the best movie of 2016 so far.

Crimson Peak

Crimson Peak is directed by Guillermo Del Toro(My favorite director) and stars Tom Hiddleston, Mia Wasikowska, and Jessica Chastain. It is about an aspiring writer who can see ghosts, who marries a man and moves in with him and his sister in England. Crimson Peak is two movies. There is a bad movie(The first 45 minutes), and a great movie(The last part). One is about an aspiring writer girl, and one is about a girl who marries a mysterious stranger and sees ghosts in his creepy-ass house. The only good part about the first 45 minutes is the incident with Ediths father and her mother's ghost. This stuff could be in flashback. The editing(the iris outs) was frankly annoying. Okay, time to talk about the awesome part in the house. The second half is extremely suspenseful. It does not go for cheap jump-scares, it allows the creepy vibes and the film's atmosphere to envelop you. However, the entire film is directed very well by the master Del Toro, and the production design is oscar-worthy. The ghosts were creepy, the three central performances were good, Tom Hiddleston being the best, and the directing is superb.