My Favourite Directors

Tools    

I am the Watcher in the Night
wow ive been terrible at keeping this thread going, my bad guys! but thank you for all your responses and terrific lists by some people.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

My current top 5 is :
1.Steven Spielberg (Jaws,Saving Private Ryan)
2.Stanley Kubrick (The Shining,A Clockwork Orange)
3.David Fincher (Fight Club,Se7en)
4.Darren Aronofski (Requiem For a Dream,The Wrestler)
5.Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight Trilogy,Inception)

From page 1:

David Fincher

Seven

Fight Club

Zodiac

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Alien 3
+

I'll forgive him for turning the Aliens into some kind of werewolf creature - it was early in his career I like him and hope he continues the way he is going - even though I didn't love BB I liked the concept.

John McTiernan

Die Hard

Die Hard: With a Vengeance
-
Predator
+

I'm not much of an action movie fan but his generally are a level above those of his peers.

Fincher is amazing. Social Network!!!

This is just a few of my favorites

Louis Malle
Jean Cocteau
Marcel Carne
Jean-Luc Godard
Catherine Breillat
François Ozon

Anders Thomas Jensen
Antti-Jussi Annila
Lars Von Trier
Thomas Vinterberg
Aleksi Salmenperä
Susanne Bier

János Szász

Roberto Rossellini
Pier Paolo Pasolini
Michelangelo Antonioni
Liliana Cavani

John Woo
Ang Lee
Guillemo del Toro
Ridley Scott
James Wan

Damn, thought I posted this earlier but it didn't work AAAARGH! Now I have to re-write it.

So here it is:

Paul Thomas Anderson
Best Film: There Will Be Blood
Worst Film: The Master

Paul Thomas Anderson is a cinema fiend, as much a fan of the medium as the audience who watch his movies. He has devoted much of his life to studying the great directors, feeding off of their brilliance and in the process building his own resume of cinematic classics. The phrase "if I have seen further it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants" describes PT Anderson perfectly. This is a man who is a self confessed film buff and like Spielberg and Scorsese before him, he has studied the best of the past to become one of the best directors of the present.

All great directors have their trademarks, for Spielberg it is his close up on the surprise of his characters, for Peter Jackson it is his large, vast spanning visuals and for Anderson it is an almost constant movement of the camera. This suited his masterpiece, There Will Be Blood perfectly, the desert landscape was as much a character as Daniel Plainview, HW and Eli.

As I have already mentioned, I find 'Blood to be Anderson's greatest work, his masterpiece, the crowning jewel of a slowly growing empire in film. Everything that Anderson had ever done before culminated in his 2007 classic. The pacing, the lighting, the scope, the ability to coax Daniel Day Lewis greatest performance, out of an actor who was his generations best and to give the new kid Paul Dano his chance to shine against such a veteran. These are all shines of a man at the top of his craft.

In recent times, Anderson has faltered a little with The Master, which is by no means a bad movie but it lacks the breath taking splendour of 'Blood, the cool ease of Hard Eight or the emotional depth of Magnolia. PT Anderson is still a director to watch, with his upcoming movie a crime mystery set in the 1960s. PT Anderson is a student of the arts, who understands his product because he understands what it means to be a fan.
Daniel Day Lewis is superb in There will be Blood, but as for it being a great film, I don't know. I had a hard time getting through it. The film felt like it was 45 hours long.

I just don't change my estimate of the director no matter how many bad movies he or she makes as long as he has a good reservoir of movies. Like, James Cameron is among my favorite director no matter how many Avatar sequels he makes because I like his early movies.
I think Spike Lee and Joel Schumacher are way more hit and miss than Robert Zemeckis. JMO.

Love those incredibly long, slow-moving scenes in Panic Room.
Fincher is completely awesome

-Fight Club
-Se7en
-The Social Network
-Zodiac
-The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
-The Game
-Panic Room

what an incredible Filmography !

Current favorite directors:

Live action (top 10):

- Stanley Kubrick (2001, Barry Lyndon)
- Kurosawa (Ikiru, Seven Samurai)
- Ozu (Late Spring, Tokyo Story)
- Tarkovsky (The Mirror, Stalker)
- Coppola (The Godfather, Apocalypse Now)
- Ridley Scott (Blade Runner, Alien)
- James Cameron (Aliens, The Terminator)
- Steven Spielberg (Schindler's List, A.I.)
- Sergio Leone (The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Once Upon a Time in America)
- Scorsese (Taxi Driver, Shutter Island)

Animation (top 5):

- Junichi Sato (not Juniti Saito !!)
- Miyazaki
- Takahata
- Hideaki Anno
- Kunihiko Ikuhara

Though 3 of these are here mostly because of the TV series they directed although all 5 directed critically acclaimed TV series and began their careers there before making films. I only included directors who directed multiple works that belong to my favorites. Shimbo, for instance, who directed PMMM I did not include because I didn't love anything else he directed.

Fight Club - this film legend!!!

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Ridley Scott
Ingmar Bergman
Peter Jackson