Have you seen Gods and Kings?

Tools    

I am the Watcher in the Night
And is it worth a watch? There's some mixed reviews out there and most of them are around the 7/10 mark which isn't a bad movie but is it worth my hard earned cash in cinema receipts?

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

Master of My Domain
Haven't seen it but a stiff, white Moses and a Sunday school story that we all know sprinkled with Hollywood fairy dust to make it into a LOTR style 'epic' movie? Don't think its worth it but that's up to you...

If you see it remember to tell us how it was, or even better write a review on the site.

Ridley Scott's best film since Gladiator...

seeing it next week

That's okay. Nobody's perfect!
First I wasn't going to see it, then after it was banned in Egypt I thought maybe, then I thought no after a watching a few negative reviews on CNN and MSNBC, then there were a few generally positive reviews by MoFo members and now I probably will see it. And I agree with Gunslinger, DeMille's 1956 The Ten Commandments is excellent. (Which was remake of his own 1923 film of the same name.)

I was going to see it, but then I heard it wasn't that good, and my money was tight around that time, so I decided to skip.
“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what." - Stephen Fry, The Guardian, 5 June 2005

I wasn't, because it's called Gods & Kings. Then I saw it was directed by Ridley Scott and that made it even less likely. But then I saw Christian Bale was in it. Yep, definitely not going to see it.

First I wasn't going to see it, then after it was banned in Egypt I thought maybe, then I thought no after a watching a few negative reviews on CNN and MSNBC, then there were a few generally positive reviews by MoFo members and now I probably will see it. And I agree with Gunslinger, DeMille's 1956 The Ten Commandments is excellent. (Which was remake of his own 1923 film of the same name.)

Yeah, DeMille's "remake" is pretty awesome, there are very few examples of historical/Biblical epics which live up to the hey days of the 1950s. Gladiator....maybe Kingdom. Can't think of any more.

I wasn't, because it's called Gods & Kings. Then I saw it was directed by Ridley Scott and that made it even less likely. But then I saw Christian Bale was in it. Yep, definitely not going to see it.
lol

well Bale is pretty good at times.

Hmm I've not read up about it but didn't realise Christian Bale was in it. I'm not keen on him, but I do like a bible story, so may go and see it

Hmm I've not read up about it but didn't realise Christian Bale was in it. I'm not keen on him, but I do like a bible story, so may go and see it
damn, not many Bale fans here. I for one like him, not the most versatile but still pretty good.

I don't really like how Christian Bale constantly acts as Christian Bale ever since The Dark Knight. Terminator: Salvation and, as far as this movie's trailer seemed to be, are probably his worst performances.

Props for The Machinist and American Psycho though. Lots of props.

I don't really like how Christian Bale constantly acts as Christian Bale ever since The Dark Knight. Terminator: Salvation and, as far as this movie's trailer seemed to be, are probably his worst performances.

Props for The Machinist and American Psycho though. Lots of props.
Agreed! His work in The Machinist really defines him but I think he's sort of fallen down the type cast hole of being tough and unrepenting. It's what both Salvation and Batman asked of him.

wanabe movie critique
Glad someone started this topic. I'm holding back on watching this one due to some negative reviews about it.

Agreed! His work in The Machinist really defines him but I think he's sort of fallen down the type cast hole of being tough and unrepenting. It's what both Salvation and Batman asked of him.
Disagree completely. American Hustle he was great, and The Fighter may have been his best performance ever. Played completely different characters in both. Both were after The Dark Knight and Terminator also.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Yesterday
Couldn't pass on any movie by Ridley Scott.
He is a Legend.
As for movie...?
One of his bests.
Sequence with candles as symbol of dying.

Yesterday
Couldn't pass on any movie by Ridley Scott.
He is a Legend.
As for movie...?
One of his bests.
Sequence with candles as symbol of dying.
I haven't liked much of Scott's recent work but I am leaning towards may be watching this at some point, probably on BluRay or something.

A lot of friends have said that its actually a decent movie and not as bad as people have made it out to be. then again, no one has gone so far as to say its exceptional either lol
Interesting to finally see someone who ranks it among his best work.

Disagree completely. American Hustle he was great, and The Fighter may have been his best performance ever. Played completely different characters in both. Both were after The Dark Knight and Terminator also.
Ok, I gotta give you the American Hustle performance, my bad, I totally forgot about it.

But I didn't like his turn in The Fighter, not a bad performance but not as great as it was made out to be, it felt like a caricature of a pretty complex character in real life.