The Alien Mythology: Watching Alien and Prometheus Back-to-Back

Tools    

I am the Watcher in the Night
A couple days back, I watched Aline: the Director's Cut and Prometheus back to back and while I'm still not a fan of the prequel of sorts (Ridley Scott at first wanted to keep the Alien comparisons to a minimum but he is absolutely loving it now, probably because of the money involved), it's interesting to see how it fits into the "original" Scott mythology for the universe. There are some continuity errors and the planet landscape just isn't as hell-ish as the 1979 original, in fact everything in Prometheus feels cold, sterile...clean, like a lot of modern blockbusters with over reliance on CGI. The soul is lost.

Having said that, I quite liked the mystery of the "Space Jockey" from Alien and it's nice to see who he was and why he was where he ended up. The Architect is not the most original idea, powerful beings who come to Earth to give or take life is a concept as old as sci-fi itself but it's a great story element none the less. And having watched Alien directly before Prometheus, it was nice seeing how the movies complimented each other. I repeat, this hasn't made me a fan of the prequel but I understand that movie better now.

What do you guys think of the two Scott features?

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

There are some continuity errors and the planet landscape just isn't as hell-ish as the 1979 original...

It's not the same planet we saw in Alien.

Having said that, I quite liked the mystery of the "Space Jockey" from Alien and it's nice to see who he was and why he was where he ended up.

It's not the same character we saw in Alien. The Engineer seen in Prometheus was just one of that species. The Jockey in Alien is a different guy.

The way it goes is that The Company learns about the Engineers in Prometheus and learns about their capabilities in genetics...

... if you remember, The Company already knew about a crashed ship in Alien, which is why they sent Ash with the crew of the Nostromo at the last minute, much to the chagrin of the rest of the crew.

The Company obviously has much more dealings with these creatures, Aliens, Engineers etc etc than just a single storyline going from Prometheus, to Alien, to Aliens, to Alien 3...

The thing to realise with Prometheus is that it's not a direct prequel.
It's based in the same Universe, but is a side story that happens to be based before Alien.