The Mofo Top 100 Television Shows

Tools    

I seriously considered MNF when we had a conversation about it towards the beginning of the list. Nothing was can't miss TV for me like MNF through the 90's. I don't know why I don't feel that way anymore. Maybe my love for sports has died down a bit, maybe because they put so many games on TV now. It used to be local teams at 1 and 4 on Sunday, and then MNF was the big game. Doesn't seem like it is that way anymore for better or worse..

Ultimately I stuck with narrative TV because, kind of similar to Cricket, that was a slippery slope I didn't want to start down as ESPN was about the only channel my TV was on for a decade or so.

Let the night air cool you off
I love football, but I decided not to vote for Monday Night Football. There have been some really great moments though. Cosell announcing Lennon's death to an American audience who didn't have the luxury of finding out on social media, Tony Dorsett's 99 yard touchdown run, Brett Favre's big game the night after his father passed, and a bunch more. Your enjoyment of the show relies on what you think of football of course, so this show was always gonna be the most polarizing on the list.

Hmmm. When we talked about it, I thought me and you might be the only ones to vote for it and neither of us did.

My most memorable MNF game is BO literally running over the Seahawks and Bosworth. The Favre game was pretty great too.

That one's good. I also like rookie Earl Campbell going for 4 tds against the Dolphins. The last one coming with 2 minutes left, he went 80 yards to clinch the game for Oilers.

That one's good. I also like rookie Earl Campbell going for 4 tds against the Dolphins. The last one coming with 2 minutes left, he went 80 yards to clinch the game for Oilers.
Damn. How old were you when you started watching? Dorsett was my first football hero but I don't think I was watching that MNF game. I only remember Campbell from clips.

I wasn't alive then.

I consider myself a bit of an (amatuer) football historian though. Luckily for me though, I've seen a bunch of old games on youtube and various other streaming sites. The NFL usually pulls those games from youtube though, sadly.

Dorsett only played three years later then Campbell but that must have been just enough for me. Campbell's career ended when I was 8, that would have been right around when I started watching with my dad. Raiders-Redskins is the first Super Bowl I remember watching, that was '84 I think.

I wasn't alive then.

I consider myself a bit of an (amatuer) football historian though. Luckily for me though, I've seen a bunch of old games on youtube and various other streaming sites. The NFL usually pulls those games from youtube though, sadly.
That's cool. I love listening to guys my dads age talk about the old days. I really don't have a mind for stats though. I remember games I have seen and can kind of guess on stats I have read and heard.

Campbell didn't have a very long career, his running style combined with the volume of carries he received combined with being the only real offensive weapon Houston had led to his early demise. He is an example of that saying about stars that shine the brightest.

The earliest things I remember about watching football come from the time when the Cowboys dynasty of the 90s were coming to an end. It must have been around the time Troy, Michael, and Deion were all fixing to leave.

I wish every football fan had gotten to see Montana-Rice together. I am sure every generation has that thought about the players they grew up with though.

Re: "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson"

The first time I watched this show I was sat in the audience. It was a few months back, I saw two shows being taped, the one with Simon Pegg and the one with Daniel Radcliffe. The interviews weren't the greatest but Ferguson, Geoff and the horse had me in stitches. I wasn't expecting that kind of goofy humour at all. Great stuff. Shame he's leaving.

Raiders-Redskins is the first Super Bowl I remember watching, that was '84 I think.
That was my first Superbowl, too. They'd started to show the play off that season and I had the Cowboys, while my mum took the Redskins. I think they met in the Conference game, Cowboys lost, so I took whoever the Redskins played next. It was the Raiders. A Raiders fan was born. I've not watched it seriously for a good 15-20 years now, though. Which is a shame, because we've gone from one highlight show a week and the play offs, to 3 live games on a Sunday, the Monday night game and league games at Wembley. My 10 year old self would've loved all that.

Who voted for Supernatural? I saw the first two season and some of season 3. I have upto season 5, I think, on dvd, but I've not watched them. Season 3 already felt like it was starting to go off the rails a little. One day I'll watch it.

As for the other one, I'm assuming Guap has struck.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I watched Monday Night Football religiously from 1970 to about 1975 and through the '80s when the Rams were on. Haven't had much use for it since. But it was fun entertainment when I was younger. Frank Gifford seemed a little straight as an announcer, but that was partly a put-on, I believe. Dandy Don Meredith was flaky and funny and a perfect foil for the Human Mouth, Hohw-ward Co-sell. Of course, Howard was the first person to sometimes report on some breaking news while the game was going, like John Lennon's death.

Well, I have never watched any of the shows that are on the list so far.
Me neither apart from Dragon Ball Z which my kids watched back then. It's pretty interesting tho

I guess I'm one of the people who will be "bitching" about these two shows.

I hate football, so I would never watch any football games, and it screws up the TV schedule for "real" shows.

And I've never even heard of the second show.
GBG, I thought you liked sports? or do you like other sports TV?

Me I've only seen 1 football game on TV in my life and that was in the 70s when I was a kid.

Oh and so far I've seen ZERO TV show on the list. I wouldn't be surprised if I ain't seen any of 'em.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
GBG, I thought you liked sports? or do you like other sports TV?

Me I've only seen 1 football game on TV in my life and that was in the 70s when I was a kid.

Oh and so far I've seen ZERO TV show on the list. I wouldn't be surprised if I ain't seen any of 'em.

I like watching baseball, bowling and figure skating. I like playing basketball and bowling, but I'm not very good at either.

I hate football and hockey.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I guess I'm one of the people who will be "bitching" about these two shows.

I hate football, so I would never watch any football games, and it screws up the TV schedule for "real" shows.

And I've never even heard of the second show.
That was a joke gbgoodies because I figured football would illicit a strong reaction from either camp. I don't like football either but I live in a college town, so this time of year is hell. Thank god I have a place in the country to get away from it all.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
That was a joke gbgoodies because I figured football would illicit a strong reaction from either camp. I don't like football either but I live in a college town, so this time of year is hell. Thank god I have a place in the country to get away from it all.

I lived in Arlington, TX for a few years. and I was only minutes away from Texas Stadium where the Dallas Cowboys played at the time. I think I was the only person in the state at the time who wasn't a football fan.

If you think your college town is bad, try living in the Dallas Cowboys backyard, and not being a football fan. I think that's the textbook definition of "Hell on Earth".