Halloween Horror Challenge

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Birds

It's a creepy concept but not a great film. It's actually pretty badly made in places, really obvious fake backdrops, very fake looking blood. That main character is pretty annoying, she starts off by basically stalking some man she meets in a pet shop then makes a series of bad decisions like taking children out from the school into the open where the birds can get them and then going up the stairs when she really shouldn't. Once the bird attacks step up the film does get really tense, the scene where they attack Rod Taylor through the window is really quite horrifying. But a lot of it came off as just silly.

Movies: 1

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) -

Holy f*ck. This is absolutely masterful filmmaking. Not only does it succeed at disturbing, shocking, and getting under your skin, it's also executed and shot superbly. The acting is convincing, the tension is built expertly, and the pacing is spot-on. The first chase scene was deliciously intense, and Leatherface is one heck of a villain. What took me so long to see this, I'll never know. I'll probably post my rating for another extremely popular film one of these days, and that should make y'all scratch your heads. Hell, I'll probably even get a ban for not seeing it yet.

What drugs are you fanboys taking?
Whatever it is, it must have a sedative effect. That's the only explanation for not being driven mad by that woman's constant screaming.

Also, TN, I think your rating for The Birds is about right. I pretty much agree with most of what you said. Horribly overrated film, IMO and, if it wasn't Hitchcock, one that I doubt would be thought of anything like as well as it is.

I'm honestly not surprised at all, because let's face it, you guys only like fun, entertaining films.

Aww, just discovered this topic. My October horror viewing so far according to my online ratings page I keep:

Nothing Left To Fear -

La Horde -

The Wicked -

Chrome Skull: Laid To Rest 2 -

Movies = 4
Points = 5

Freddy was a child molester in the original, too. You didn't see any of that, of course as there wasn't any of Freddy's backstory beyond what the parents told Nancy.
Ah, I see. I can't remember it well, but I remember not liking that one either. I figured it may have only been suggested, whereas this remake made it very clear, and immediately killed any fun I was having.

I just don't care for amateurish films, so when one's said to be "executed and shot superbly" I have to wonder. But i've been wondering for 40 years.
Popcorn-munching ≠ amateurish. I get it.

What the f*ck is going on in here?

You can't even enjoy a movie without someone disliking it and has to call people out for it? "fanboys" lol I'm far from it... A film with a low budget and such can still look good and I didn't think it was amazing or anything but I do feel it captures the atmosphere and where it takes place.

If you think low budget = amateurish than you know absolutely nothing about movies. End of discussion.

You can't even enjoy a movie without someone disliking it and has to call people out for it? "fanboys" lol I'm far from it...
That's right. Welcome to the internet.

You can't even enjoy a movie without someone disliking it and has to call people out for it? "fanboys" lol I'm far from it...
That's right. Welcome to the internet.
Hah oh I've experienced way worse. Stalking, hacking, treats you name it. I just felt like this forum was a lot more mature. At least do it in a reasonable and/or fun way if you really gotta do it, instead of that boring ********.

Anyways, whatever it's all good. I'll let the idiots be idiots if they want to lol.

The Orphanage (El Orfanato) (2007) - J.A. Bayona (Foreign)
- GREAT. really love it ! A brilliant movie with a beautiful cinematography and great acting. I love the ending and A new movie on my Top 150.
-

[Rec] (2007) - Jaume Balagueró, Paco Plaza (Foreign)
- Really scary movie with a very ''realistic'' scenario. Awesome and highly entertaining.

Martyrs (2008) - Pascal Laugier (Foreign)
- I don't know if I'm the only one who find this movie very boring ?! The First 25min of the movie was nice and entertaining but after it turn into an incredible snoozefest ... overrated...
+

Movies: 19

I agree 100 with what you said about each movie Derek. Great viewings there...

I also absolutely love The Orphanage! I think I might give it a re-watch during october!

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Julia's Eyes ~ This movie gets a lot more credit than it deserves, but I love me some Belén Rueda. It's not that it's a bad movie, it's just predictable. It's still worth watching. It's well-acted with some tense moments. However, if being able to figure out who did it to eAsily is a big problem for you, you may want to pass.

12 movies 18 points

Hallowed Ground -

Yikes what a rubbish, cheap and lazy horror... film with early roles from Chloe Grace Moretz and Jaimie Alexander(took me ages to figure out where I had seen her before, in the Thor films!). Sorry you have this film in your filmographies.

Movies = 5
Points = 6

Martyrs (2008) - Pascal Laugier (Foreign)
- I don't know if I'm the only one who find this movie very boring ?! The First 25min of the movie was nice and entertaining but after it turn into an incredible snoozefest ... overrated...
+

Take it back!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Madison County (Eric England, 2011)
Students try to find the author of a serial killer expose but find a serial killer instead. Inane, borderline-incomprehensible gorefest.

Hideaway (Brett Leonard, 1995)
- Silly but fast-moving sci-fi horror about Jeff Goldblum dying, being revived and then seeing through the eyes of a serial killer who has those eyes on his daughter Alicia Silverstone.

John Carpenter’s Vampires (John Carpenter, 1998)
- Carpenter is slumming again but he still provides some suspense and laughs in a modern-day tale of a vampire-hunting posse led by James Woods.

The Hunters (Chris Briant, 2011)
- Overlong, mostly-boring story of a cop, plagued by nightmares, who finds a "gun club" where they hunt humans.

The Ghost of Yotsuya (Nobuo Nakagawa, 1959)
+ A poor samurai sets in motion a murderous plan which leads to the death of his first wife who returns and haunts him. Stylized period ghost story is short and interesting. Too much crying though. (Foreign)

35 Movies
39 Points

Aww, just discovered this topic. My October horror viewing so far according to my online ratings page I keep:

Nothing Left To Fear -

La Horde -

The Wicked -

Chrome Skull: Laid To Rest 2 -

Movies = 4
Points = 5

I've been putting off reviewing three of these films on my horror blog (the link for which is below ) because they look turd, and after seeing your ratings of them my fears have been comfirmed. I have seen La Horde. I'd give it