Best Directoral Debut Ever?

Tools    

Zac Snyder. Dawn Of The Dead 2004. Id have to give that movie the nod over Tarantinos Reservoir Dogs.

Great question and there are a lot of possible answers here, but I think I have to go with Robert Redford for Ordinary People, though I have to give a shout out to Sydney Pollack for They Shoot Horses, Don't They? as well.

Citizen Kane....Orson Welles first full length film. Kind of hard to top that one, even for Orson. Hence his famous quote:
"I started at the top and worked my way down."

Some great ones to choose from. But my current top-five that I can think of right now:

1. Citizen Kane, Orson Welles

2. The Maltese Falcon, John Huston

3. Breathless, Jean-Luc Godard

4. Blood Simple, Joel & Ethan Coen

5. The 400 Blows, Francois Truffaut

There's quite a few...

Orson Welles, Quintin Tarantino, Terrence Malick, Sam Mendes and probably many more. Agree with a lot of what's already been mention too.

American History X - Tony Kaye

Best Debut.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Sydney Pollack's first film was 1965's The Slender Thread. Then he did This Property Is Condemned, The Scalphunters and Castle Keep before doing They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

I’m just the espresso
I can't pick just one but some of my favorites are:

1. This Is Spinal Tap
2. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
3. Donnie Darko
4. Reservoir Dogs
5. Delicatessen
6. The Night of the Hunter

Just here for the free donuts
Certainly not the best, but a damn good debut and a favorite of mine and NOT just because it takes place in my home town

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Well, I came here to say Reservoir Dogs, but after reading the rest of the thread, there are some amazing movies I had no idea that were debuts!

Still, Reservoir Dogs is still on my top 5!

Citizen Kane - Orson Welles
Tarantino - Reservoir Dogs

mrankings.com

I can't pick just one but some of my favorites are:

1. This Is Spinal Tap
2. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
3. Donnie Darko
4. Reservoir Dogs
5. Delicatessen
6. The Night of the Hunter
Rob Reiner and Mike Nichols definitely deserve a shout out for This is Spinal Tap and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?...I still think Mike Nichols was robbed of the Oscar and the Oscar he won the following year for The Graduate was partially an apology Oscar.