17.Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) #14
18. Halloween (1978) #17
19. The Last Detail (1973) #129
20. Sorcerer (1977) #108
21. The Conversation (1974) #18
22. Wise Blood (1979)
23. Payday (1973)
24. Next Stop, Greenwich Village (1976)
25. La grande bouffe (1973) (1 point, not on the countdown)
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Or maybe there's going to be a spontaneous movie commentary for whatever the #1 movie is with Holden talking through it.

Martin Scorsese's haunting film about alienation, disillusionment, and rage was my #1 pick. The film was too dark for me to connect with it on my first viewing, but even then I felt its power, and my love and admiration of it have only continued to grow.

1. Taxi Driver (#3)
2. A Clockwork Orange (#7)
3. Life of Brian (#41)
4. Chinatown (#6)
5. Manhattan (#52)
6. The Outlaw Josey Wales (#49)
7. The Jerk (#54)
8. The Omen (#99)
10. The Godfather II (#10)
11. Dirty Harry (#34)
12. Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (X)
13. The Conversation (#18)
14. The French Connection (#31)
15. Young Frankenstein (#15)
16. Enter the Dragon (#24)
17. Frenzy (#121)
18. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (#22)
19. Harold and Maude (#27)
20. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (#8)
21. The Friends of Eddie Coyle (X)
22. Network (#32)
23. Star Wars (#4)
24. Being There (#98)
25. Little Big Man (#61)

Taxi Driver #1 on my list. You guys almost got it right, good job but not quite good enough.

The Godfather vs Jaws?

The Godfather.

If not, then you guys got it wrong again.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Reminder: special surprise tomorrow morning to go with the reveal of the last two films. Definitely make sure to check in.
Are you going to show us your lightsaber?

Taxi Driver is a great film with a mesmerizing, masterful performance by De Niro. Haven't seen the film in a while, but the one scene I felt was a bit out of place, that almost broke the continuity for me was with Scorsese in the back of the cab. Not sure if a real actor could've made it work better but I just felt there was something off about it.

Speaking of Scorsese, I just picked up Shutter Island. Haven't seen it yet.

Haven't seen the film in a while, but the one scene I felt was a bit out of place, that almost broke the continuity for me was with Scorsese in the back of the cab. Not sure if a real actor could've made it work better but I just felt there was something off about it.
One of the best cameos ever! Whata44magnumwilldotoawomansp*ssythatyoushouldsee!

In all seriousness, that is one of the key scenes in the film, and perhaps one of the most disturbing. You see, this is what I meant when I said the film is full of subtext and undertones that keep presenting themselves, which many people don't look properly into. Taxi Driver is full of these moments which perfectly illustrate Travis Bickle's character. Sometimes Scorsese conveys Travis' thoughts or shows his point of view with a single shot, or line of dialogue. In this case it is done by contrasting his character to another.

For example Scorsese's character is one of those who's all talk. He can't keep his mouth shut and thinks he's such a badass, but in reality he's a wimp. I mean, let's face it, his character probably went home and cried, or got wasted, and did nothing about it. Then lost his wife.

Travis on the other hand, is silent. He doesn't talk much, but when he does you damn well better listen. Most of the time he watches, he listens, he feels. He looks emotionless but in fact it's completely the opposite - only he knows what he truly feels, and his feelings are so powerful that you can't quite put them into words (De Niro though is able to do this simply by his facial expressions and eye movements, and this is what makes his performance so nuanced and powerful)

His character is totally the opposite to that of Scorsese's, but again look carefully at that scene. He didn't say a word, but then look what he is able to really do. In the end his actions come from the deepest corners of his soul.

This is what makes Taxi Driver a great film, and this is why it's such an intense character study.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Jaws -

Godfather -
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Speaking of Scorsese, I just picked up Shutter Island. Haven't seen it yet.
Good movie.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
His character is totally the opposite to that of Scorsese's, but again look carefully at that scene. He didn't say a word, but then look what he is able to really do. In the end his actions come from the deepest corners of his soul.
I just saw the clip and I'm not sure what to make of it. If anything, Bickle looks at the guy like he's slightly deranged, but who's to tell precisely. Haven't seen the movie in a bit, but I suppose if after this scene Bickle becomes homicidal then it takes on new meaning, though I'm not sure what.

Because that scene struck me as weird and out of sync with the rest of the movie (maybe that's due to Scorsese playing the role)it struck me that maybe in some respects Scorsese is really playing Bickle's suppressed troubled Id that's still not fully consciously formed, still in the backseat of his mind/cab, but will eventually find homicidal realization.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Taxi Driver was my #17. It's a really well made film, Scorsese's best, in my opinion. I certainly don't identify with Travis Bickle, he's not the hero here, there are no heroes in this film, only violence directed in a more socially acceptable direction. I like the irony of the ending that he ends up hailed as a hero (not dissimilar to the way The King of Comedy's Rupert Pupkin turns out to be a popular comedian), I think this is what makes it such a good film.

Taxi Driver was my number 3. I don't really know what to add to what other people have already said about it. It's simply a magnificently atmospheric piece of cinema that never fails to fully hypnotise me when I watch it. It's just a perfect film that completely masters the mood of its themes. I'll write more about it when it appears on my top 101 list.

---------------------------------

If Jaws wins, this would be the first decade list that doesn't have a film that I voted for as the number one pick (I didn't vote in the millennium list, so I'm not counting that one). I had The Godfather at 8, so naturally I'm hoping it wins.

I like Jaws, but it's nowhere near "most favorite film of the decade" material for me personally. It's undeniably a great film, though.

If Jaws wins, this would be the first decade list that doesn't have a film that I voted for as the number one pick (I didn't vote in the millennium list, so I'm not counting that one).
If Jaws wins, this would be the first decade list that does have a film I voted for as the number one pick (I did vote in the millennium list, so I am counting that one).

Go Jaws!

If Jaws wins, this would be the first decade list that does have a film I voted for as the number one pick (I did vote in the millennium list, so I am counting that one).

Go Jaws!
Let's respect the traditions then.

May The Godfather take the price home.