Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Horror Of Dracula (1958)

I'm sure that those of you who know my taste in movies probably expected me to hate this movie, but I actually liked it. Maybe that's because this movie doesn't really have much of a horror feel to it. It feels more like a mystery movie mixed with a bit of a vampire touch to it. Even the character Dracula didn't have a very menacing feel to him. He wasn't in the movie much, and when he was in it, he barely spoke at all. The story seems to center more around Van Helsing finding Dracula, rather than around Dracula himself.

There were a few bloody scenes, but they're not too graphic, and a few good confrontations in the movie, especially the final confrontation scene between Dracula and Van Helsing, which is easily the best scene in the movie.

It took me a while to figure out why the guy who played Arthur looked familiar, until I looked him up and found out that he played Alfred in the Tim Burton Batman movies.

haha. You liked it more than me even. Maybe Hammer Horrors are a type you will enjoy? I'm not sure if they are all similar though as that's the only one i've seen.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
haha. You liked it more than me even. Maybe Hammer Horrors are a type you will enjoy? I'm not sure if they are all similar though as that's the only one i've seen.

I don't know what other movies are Hammer Horrors movies, but if they're similar to this one, I'd be willing to give them a chance. My problem with horror is that there's usually too much blood and gore, but this movie was more about the story than about the gore. It almost felt more like a Sherlock Holmes or a Jack the Ripper story than like a Dracula story.

I agree it did feel like a mystery film. Here's a list of them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammer_filmography

Not sure which ones are good or similar to that if any. HK, JJ and Swan are fans, think they'd know. Maybe the other Dracula films, the ones starring Christopher Lee at least.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground

Inherit the Wind
(1960)

So many good lines. Full of brilliant and witty exchanges. Much appreciated.

E. K. Hornbeck: Evolution is a tricky question, which is hungrier, my stomach or my soul? Hot dog.
Bible salesman: Are you an evolutionist? An infidel? A sinner?
E. K. Hornbeck: The worst kind, I write for a newspaper.
[to Henry]
E. K. Hornbeck: Want a hot dog?
Henry Drummond: No.
Bible salesman: Oh then you sir, you must be a man of God.
Henry Drummond: No no no, ulcers.

Unregistered User

The Beast Must Die (1974)

Totally coincidental that I watched this the night after The Most Dangerous Game and they both have similar themes. In this a wealthy hunter has invited a group of guests to stay on his Island. One of these guests however, as it so happens, is a werewolf. Yep, a werewolf! So the film plays out like a kind of game of cluedo where the audience towards the end is asked to whom they think the werewolf is.

It has a really good cast of Calvin Lockhart, Michael Gambon and Peter Cushing, the latter unfortunately really doesn't get enough screen time. It is a bit silly but its entertaining and pretty different concept to anything I've watched before

+

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Iron Man 3
+

Much better than Iron Man 2. It's slow to start, picks up when Stark goes off on his own, then gets tedious again with very long over the top action scenes. Robert Downey Junior as Tony Stark is still very good and the best bits are him interacting with other people he meets. I did laugh out loud a few times.

Maybe that's because this movie doesn't really have much of a horror feel to it.
Strange to me, because when I think of horror, one of the first things I always think about is the wonderfully atmospheric Hammer horror films.

Horror has always mixed genres, and there are plenty without gore. You just watched an example of that. Maybe horror aint so bad, right?

Suspiria -

Argento presents beautiful colours and nothing more. One could only have hoped for a great script to accompany the technical aspect behind this horror wreck.

Nightmare on Elm Street -

The only interesting film in the series and it still manages to be fright-less

An American Werewolf in Paris -

An insult to movie viewers.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Nightmare on Elm Street -

The only interesting film in the series and it still manages to be fright-less
Oh boy....

Suspect's Reviews

Suspiria -

Argento presents beautiful colours and nothing more. One could only have hoped for a great script to accompany the technical aspect behind this horror wreck.
This guy is hilarious!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I was trying to find a reaction gif and typed "suspiria gif" on Google Image. Made me want to rewatch it for the third time!

eye-candy > plot

RedFoot is banality's twin brother!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I guess I'll quote myself.

Hmm, what does my age have to do with it?

Some favourites off the top of my head.

Mulholland Dr
Chinatown
Ran
Spirited Away
Singin' In The Rain
The Pianist
Rear Window
Lawrence of Arabia

Is that Conor McPherson's The Eclipse? I really like that movie. 7/10 isn't too bad, but I'd be interested in reading your thoughts on it.
As promised, my reaction, in spoiler tags:

WARNING: spoilers below
I really liked it as well. On the Films That Made You Jump thread lynchian mentioned the scene with the cupboard and I decided I didn't want to be spoiled properly so I bought it and watched it. This is my reply to lynchian from a few days ago:

"Thanks again for mentioning this film – I watched it tonight and really enjoyed it.

Given your original post I became a closet-watcher for most of the film , and the bit you refer to certainly does pack a punch. The shock that I didn't expect was Jim Norton's 'rotting' proto-ghost appearing in the car, and the hissing noise he makes certainly makes it extra horrific. As a Father Ted fan I was pleased to see his name on the cast list along with the other three actors, all of whom I like very much. It's really Ciarán Hinds' film I think; he was outstanding.

It was very interesting for me that Aidan Quinn was involved as a few months back I saw him in the 1995 film Haunted, which also involves spiritualism, and is excellent. I had quite recently read Arthur Conan Doyle's story The Land of Mist, which I found very moving, particularly knowing Doyle's personal circumstances, and that film tied into those emotions as well.

I would also say that if anyone liked The Eclipse they should have a look at The Daisy Chain."

I hadn't heard of the film at all but knowing Hinds, Hjejle and Quinn, plus the subject matter I thought it would be good and it was. I arrived at 7/10 due to a few niggles.

I found the music sometimes appropriate but in other moments not quite as fitting for what was going on; even too much in some cases. Another complaint is the amount of uses of "****ing". It seemed odd to me that people who'd just met would wander round coming out with this sort of thing in casual conversation, and it also has the effect of merging all the characters into one writing voice. I'm not sure how successful Aidan Quinn was in his role actually but he certainly put over the dysfunctional nature of the character very well. Finally I found the film ended too soon and was miffed that there wasn't more to it.

On the really positive side, Jim Norton's part was short but extremely emotive and thought provoking – of course when I see him as the ghost in future I'm always going to think 'it's Bishop Brennan doing Father Jack'. As I mentioned above I was really impressed with Ciarán Hinds. I knew he was good but here I think it's the best I've seen him. The suicide scene, which reminds me of a scene in another film I won't mention due to spoilers, was also a really effective shock. In fact the idea of ghostly happenings predating the death of a character reminds me of another film which, again, I can't mention for fear of ruining the surprise!

I thought it was clever to leave the film so long before the first clear apparition as well. The idea of Michael seeing the ghost only in half-light when he's on the stairs was good, as it gave the sense it could have been a trick of the light. The subsequent visions are all very well done and in a funny way the appearance of Michael's wife is actually the most frightening. It struck me that there was something sinister about the lingering shots of the family photos even in the early scenes and I don't know whether that was intentional. You're sort of sitting there thinking "is that really his wife?" The fact that it is and she's appeared to give him support is a very emotional scene and reminiscent of The Land of Mist and another film that shall not be named.

This is certainly something I'm going to be watching again. One of the things I'm trying to work out is why there's a brief shot of Michael's daughter looking very strange and almost ghost-like that never actually leads anywhere.

And I do see a similarity with The Daisy Chain as I said above. It's very disturbing at times and a good modern horror idea. I'd also say Samantha Morton's performance is comparable to Ciarán Hinds in The Eclipse, so well worth a look.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I guess I'll quote myself.
Doesn't matter what your favourites are. You're still pretty narrow-minded if you can't appreciate so many films.