My Thoughts on the 94th Annual Academy Awards

Tools    

I would like to begin by saying that everything posted here is my opinion and my opinion only. I also didn't want to say anything until I saw exactly what happened and now that I have (Thanks, Yoda), here I go. Will Smith is an idiot. This was his night. He knew he was going to win, as did just about everyone on the planet. This could have been the most incredible night of his life. I was so excited about last night because for decades I thought Will Smith was only capable of portraying Will Smith but a couple of performances prior this one (The Pursuit of Happyness, Seven Pounds) proved otherwise and then he knocked it out of the park with King Richard and I just knew he was going to finally get his due last night and he finally did, but he destroyed all the power of his achievement with his behavior toward Chris Rock. For the last twelve hours or so, I have bee trying to justify his behavior last night and I'm drawing a blank as exactly how to do that. Everyone knows that Chris Rock is a fearless comedian with very few boundaries and I have
heard him say a whole lot worse than what he said last night. If Smit was offended with what Rock said, he should have dealt with it after Rock left the stage. The look in Smith's eyes after he returned to his seat and was yelling at Rock to me that this incident was not faked. Smith agreeing to fake something like this on the biggest night of his life makes no sense to me. Chris Rock has said a lot worse things than what he said and I believe if he knew that Jada's shaving of her head was due to a medical issue. he wouldn't have said anything. Ironically, Jade didn't seem that upset about it. But Smith really lost me when he got up to accept his Oscar and tried to back peddle by saying it's his way to "protect" the women in his life and the women he works with. He apologized to the Academy and to his fellow nominees, but without an apology to Chris Rock, the speech meant absolutely nothing. For me, the the real irony of the whole incident is that Jada Pinkett-Smith looked absolutely breathtaking. That's all I have to say about that.

When I first heard who was hosting this year, I was totally scratching my head because I couldn't connect any thread to these three women and didn't understand the thinking behind it. And a lot of my fears were realized...Regina Hall, Amy Schumer, and Wanda Sykes seemed really uncomfortable with each other whenever they were sharing the stage and fared better when one of them was onstage without the other two. Loved when Shumer wondered how Aaron Sorkin could make a movie about Lucille Ball that didn't contain a single laugh. To break it down a little further:

BEST ACCEPTANCE SPEECH: No contest here...Troy Kotsor's signing had me fighting tears.

BEST ACCEPTANCE SPEECH RUNNER UP: Araina DuBose...this woman is a class act.

WORST ACCEPTANCE SPEECH: Will Smith..see above

BEST SURPRISE- Coda winning Best Picture...didn't see that coming but thrilled about it.

BIGGEST WASTE OF SCREENTIME: Regina Hall calling male stars onstage because they failed their covid tests.

BIGGEST WASTE OF SCREENTIME, RUNNER UP: Hall, Sykes, and Schumer onstage dressed like Tammy Faye, King Richard, and Spiderman.

BEST PRESENTERS: Wesley Snipes, Rosie Perez, and Woody Harrelson. How fun was it seeing these three sharing the stage. Loved what Woody said about three nominations and this was the most he ever got to talk.

WORST BUNGLING OF AN ANNUAL PART OF THE SHOW: The "In Memorium" segment...this part of the show has always been very sacred to me and I hate whenever they try to bring something new to it. Nothing against that choir, but we didn't need to see them...the camera should have stayed on the photographs of the celebrities being honored with the music in the background, it took away a lot of power of the segment. And why stop for five minutes on Betty White? Yes, it's very sad that Betty White passed away this year, but she wasn't the only celebrity who passed away this year. The shot of William Hurt wasn't up there more then 3 seconds.

BEST SONG PRESENTATION: Beyonce's opening number about Compton from King Richard...all the dancers, and the orchestra in the brightly decorated costumes and the elaborately decorated instruments, loved it.

BEST DRESSED: Araina DuBose, Nicole Kidman, Rachel Zegler, Wesley Snipes, Zoe Kravitz, Jada Pinkett-Smith, Serena Williams, Simu Liu. Kirsten Dunst, Rita Moreno, Olivia Colman, Marlee Matlin, Rami Malek

WORST DRESSED: Kristen Stewart, Timothee Chalamet, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Billie Eilish, Daniel Kaluuya, Kodu Smit-McPhee, David Oyelowo, Diane Warren, H.E.R.

You ever have that dream where you leave the house only to realize you forgot a major piece of clothing (for me it's usually shoes, for most people I think it's pants)?

That was Timothee Chalamet's outfit.

You ever have that dream where you leave the house only to realize you forgot a major piece of clothing (for me it's usually shoes, for most people I think it's pants)?

That was Timothee Chalamet's outfit.
It wasn't just the missing shirt though...the suit looked like it didn't fit him properly.

It wasn't just the missing shirt though...the suit looked like it didn't fit him properly.

In this dream he forgot to take the suit to the tailor.

Only the dream was real!

a kid with reviews in his pod
I actually liked Timothee's suit. I'd never wear it myself, but I think he wore it well. It was a weirdly cut suit jacket, but I think it had inspirations of the traje de luces' short jackets; though dark in color and flecked with tassels and sparkly bits. A very bold choice, and can certainly see why you didn't vibe it.

The jacket was made for a woman.

I actually liked Timothee's suit. I'd never wear it myself, but I think he wore it well. It was a weirdly cut suit jacket, but I think it had inspirations of the traje de luces' short jackets; though dark in color and flecked with tassels and sparkly bits. A very bold choice, and can certainly see why you didn't vibe it.
The suit jacket was made for a woman.

Here's my 2 cents:

BEST ACCEPTANCE SPEECH: Troy Kotsur.

BEST PRESENTERS: Kevin Costner, Anthony Hopkins.

BEST DRESSED: Rachel Zegler, Jason Momoa, Jamie Lee Curtis.

WORST BUNGLING OF AN ANNUAL PART OF THE SHOW: The "In Memoriam" segment.

@Gideon58

Best Dressed - Nicole Kidman

Keith Urban is married to a classic Barbie. The skin color, the hair style, the body shape, etc.