Quentin Tarantino and his Films

Tools    

Obviously a lot of people love what Tarantino is doing, so isn't it possible that he actually may have a good ear for music and atmosphere creation after all, despite you not liking what he does?

Think about it. You're stating here that millions of people (film critics and normal people) are WRONG, because they like Django Unchained, just because you think it didn't work. Don't you think that's pretty arrogant?
Tarantino certainly has a large, very vocal and very loyal fanbase

i wouldn't say anyone else's opinion on liking a movie is wrong

that doesn't make Tarantino's flicks above being critiqued

people who aren't crazy about his creations are allowed to have an opinion too. i already know you agree that we all shouldn't be sheep who praise the same people

Whilst I would be lying if I said I did not consider myself a ‘Tarantino Fanboy’, I am not here to argue with his critics over whether Tarantino is a con artist, whether his career has gone downhill since Pulp Fiction, or various other topics I often hear discussed, I simply want to share with you the reasons that I love Tarantino and talk about the influence and impact his films have had on me personally.
Good one guys

Yeah. I actually had a lot of this kind of discussions before.
Sometimes I'm in the same role as genesis_pig, the judger who wants to point out certain flaws, and other times I'm in the role of the defender.

That's how it goes, I guess.

Yes, using the theme from a tv show about a wheel chaired detective for a fight scene was pure work of genious & fresh.
Fresh? Please quote the part where I used that word. Besides, you're referring to one particular scene, not his use of music in all of his movies.

The selection of music is part of his genius and that is not even debatable. He writes his movies, directs them, chooses his actors as well as the music, which is not what many directors can do. And boy, does QT do it with panache.

So, long story short, Tarantino is a genius (in my opinion anyway), and his music choices are part of his genius.

oh jeez, "tarantino would never stoop to such a level"

gracious
Er, again, when did I say that? You either missed the point of my post, or vice-versa.

But like Brodinski said, Tarantino does write stuff based on his own vision, but in Django Unchained that vision has failed to be delivered by his skills as a director. He probably paid so many tributes to Spaghetti westerns in his previous films that he ran out of them.
Aye, the man makes films about his love for the medium and his favourite films. Then he weaves a plot around that. One thing he's very good at, is setting up scenes and making everything look extremely cool. And he's good at writing dialogue.

But when he misses, he misses big. Deathproof was about 45 minutes too long and could've done entirely without the second act, which was a
compared to the first half being
. I also concur partially on your thoughts on Django Unchained. Like Deathproof, it's too long and I think the third act is a serious drop off in quality. I still rate it
, but wasn't blown away by it.

It fits. I don't give a dime whether or not it was used before in a completely different context. Music is about creating a certain atmosphere. If you can't switch off certain associations, then that's your problem, not Tarantino's.
Different context?... You do know where Tarantino gets that theme tune from right?

& I am not saying that anyone is stupid for liking that film.. But it's clear that most here haven't seen even half of the film QT pays tribute to.. It has worked in the past in cases of Kill Bill or Inglorious Basterds.
Especially Basterds, cos it takes the sub-genre of macaroni combat to a whole a new level.

Django Unchained fails as a spaghetti western & above all it fails a western. As a movie, it might be amusing. but that's all it does.

& my point to Blue Lion was that he is nowhere a genius in choosing his music. & that using a themetune of a detective show for a martial arts scene isn't a new idea, you know why cos FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH happened decades ago!

Different context?... You do know where Tarantino gets that theme tune from right?

& I am not saying that anyone is stupid for liking that film.. But it's clear that most here haven't seen even half of the film QT pays tribute to.. It has worked in the past in cases of Kill Bill or Inglorious Basterds.
Especially Basterds, cos it takes the sub-genre of macaroni combat to a whole a new level.

Django Unchained fails as a spaghetti western & above all it fails a western. As a movie, it might be amusing. but that's all it does.

& my point to Blue Lion was that he is nowhere a genius in choosing his music. & that using a themetune of a detective show for a martial arts scene isn't a new idea, you know why cos FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH happened decades ago!
To each his own, but I really don't see how anyone could think that Django Unchained fails as a spaghetti western. The shots of Django in his hysterical blue outfit with "La Corsa" playing, Django appearing through the smoke after blowing up Tarantino and then riding away bareback on a horse wielding his gun above his head, or Django smiling at the camera after the mansion explodes... Come on, that's what spaghetti westerns are all about. Sure, it's not a perfect movie, but it succeedes in having the most badass cinematic hero of the year...by far. And badass heroes shot in a very stylistically way are pretty much 90% of what spaghetti westerns are.

And your point on his music isn't fair. Who cares what songs he uses or where he got them from? I don't watch a movie and hear a song and think to myself, "Gee, I heard that song in a grindhouse flick from the 70s. This movie sucks!" If the song works, it works. And they probably work better than anything any composer could write. And for the record, yes, I've seen Five Fingers of Death...dozens of times actually. I own it on DVD.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Think about it. You're stating here that millions of people (film critics and normal people) are WRONG, because they like Django Unchained, just because you think it didn't work. Don't you think that's pretty arrogant?
Think about it. You're stating here that thousands of people (fu*ked up hipsters) are WRONG, because they like a work of "art" in a form of several cans filled with poo made by an "artist", who sold it to museum and got a lot of cash for his "work", just because you think it's pathetic and ain't an art. Don't you think that's pretty arrogant?

Now here, I'm not comparing Tarantino's works to poo or any other extrements. I'm just trying to point out that the thing you don't like something adored by the masses doesn't make you wrong or with a poor taste. People are entitled to their opinions and have the right to rate films however they want. Now for Django, it's a pretty good film with great acting and an idea of parodying (is there such a word?) spaghetti westerns, which isn't anything new. Similar idea has been used in The Good, The Bad and The Weird, but I didn't enjoy it as much as Tarantino's newest achievement. It had too much action (now begin your rants about people comparing that action films are packed with action) and thus became tiresome. Django on the other hand had some great dialogues that would have made the previously mentioned film better. Still, I prefer a lot of classic spaghetti westerns, but it's the matter of personal taste. Which doesn't mean that there's no Tarantino fanboy base and big hype. A group of people just think the film is a masterpiee only because it was directed by Tarantino. (,,Oh yes. I love Tarantino. You also? You've got a great film taste. We're so trv.")
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I'm not saying that the best spaghetti westerns were just Clint Eastwood pumping everyone with lead, but that's what they always seemed to come down to, just like in Django Unchained, substituting Foxx in for Eastwood.

Think about it. You're stating here that thousands of people (fu*ked up hipsters) are WRONG, because they like a work of "art" in a form of several cans filled with poo made by an "artist", who sold it to museum and got a lot of cash for his "work", just because you think it's pathetic and ain't an art. Don't you think that's pretty arrogant?
I wasn't stating that. I was being subjective the whole time. I didn't state my opinions as unmistakable facts.

Fistful of Dollars ended sort of like you say. and Leone admitted after that movie he believed he could do better. and he did.

FAFDM didn't end with mindless hero worship. It tied the whole story together very nicely. and i suppose that's why i like it the best of all those classics. TGTBTU never degraded itself to mindless hero worship either
I don't understand what you mean by "mindless hero worship." Django kills the bad guys and rides off on his horse; Eastwood kills the bad guys and rides off on his horse. What's the difference?

I am the Watcher in the Night
I don't understand what you mean by "mindless hero worship." Django kills the bad guys and rides off on his horse; Eastwood kills the bad guys and rides off on his horse. What's the difference?
I think I understand what he was trying to say, older Spaghetti westerns, especially those by Leone were more gritty, they weren't all big explosions and stylised violence, I actually think Leone's best work was the way he developed some of his characters, in fact his work with Tuco was simply genius. The character for me started off as a simple bad guy who had a score to settle and then we were introduced to his brother and we got to see another side to the so called bad guy.

The bad guys and to a certain extent, the good guys in Tarantino's Django were sadly under developed. I think Tarantino was going for more of an all out, modern day action movie which just happened to be set in the wild west. Nothing wrong in that. The reason I don't rank Django in his top 4 or possibly 5 movies is because Tarantino forgot what made his previous movies so great, even Basterds. That thing being stories which clipped back and forth through their own timeline and told through the eyes of multiple characters which all some how became interlinked. Reservoir Dogs and Pulp fiction are the best possible examples.

With Django, Tarantino seemed to become obsessed with the one thing his critics hammered home...violence and he pushed it to a whole different level. A lot of it was wildly entertaining and cartoonish, nothing wrong with that but by the final hour that is all the movie relied on and after the death of Dr Schults, the movie lost it's heart, for me anyway.

Fistful of Dollars ended sort of like you say. and Leone admitted after that movie he believed he could do better. and he did.

FAFDM didn't end with mindless hero worship. It tied the whole story together very nicely. and i suppose that's why i like it the best of all those classics. TGTBTU never degraded itself to mindless hero worship either
Leone for me is clearly a greater director than Tarantino.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I like Tarantino's films, (Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction, and Inglorious Basterds especially) but I am not the raving fan boy I once was. I don't know if I just grew out of his "look how awesome this is" hyperactivity, or I just get tired of his style, that has been aped so much it's a cliche at this point...I liked Django Unchained at first viewing, but at the same time, I knew that I wasn't going to watch it, pretty much ever again. I'm not going to say his time has come and gone, but I will say my time of loving his films fanatically has...

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

in FAFDM you had the Mortimer/el Indio pocketwatch story come to its conclusion. and it wasn't Eastwood who killed the bad guy. and it wasn't Eastwood who rode off on a horse into the sunset...

in TGTBTU you had the Blondie/Tuco banter... and while Blondie was the quote-on-quote hero of the story, in some ways you think of him as an a-hole and can relate with Tuco more. at least that's the way i see it.

these were never as simple and typical as the conclusion to DU. where there's nothing really going on except Django killing people and saving the girl.
I haven't seen FAFDM in ages so I won't comment on that. But you mention that in TGTBTU, we see Blondie as an a-hole. As opposed to Django being noble?? Sure, Django got his revenge, but he killed a lot of people that didn't really do anything, including Miss Laurie, who was specifically nice to Broomhilda. Being a white male, I realize that if I had lived during that time period and just so happened to be one of Calvin's associates, Django would have killed me too.

I suppose I get what you are saying, but remember, you are comparing Django Unchained to FAFDM and TGTBTU, arguably the two greatest spaghetti westerns of all time. Heck, I loved Django Unchained, but even I prefer Leone's films. Django Unchained may not be the absolute best, but it plays by the rules of spaghetti westerns and, in my opinion, does a darn good job.

I am the Watcher in the Night
Leone for me is clearly a greater director than Tarantino.
In terms of Westerns yes, Leone made a career out of it, Tarantino has only made one movie in the genre. If you look at Leone's other work, I think Tarantino is superior, both had a crime masterpiece, Tarantino has the superior Pulp Fiction whereas Leone had the inferior Once Upon A Time In America. That's how I see it anyway.

Tarantino has the superior Pulp Fiction whereas Leone had the inferior Once Upon A Time In America.
You can't compare the two. The only thing they have in common is that they both are crime films. That's all.

For me, One Upon a Time in America is higher art than Pulp Fiction, but I also love the latter of course.