Inherent Vice

Tools    

Originally Posted by IMDB
In Los Angeles at the turn of the 1970s, drug-fueled detective Larry "Doc" Sportello investigates the disappearance of an ex-girlfriend.
Cast

Joaquin Phoenix -------- Doc Sportello
Benicio Del Toro -------- Sauncho Smilax
Owen Wilson ----------- Coy Harlingen
Josh Brolin ------------- Bigfoot Bjornsen
Katherine Waterston --- Shasta Fay Hepworth
Reese Witherspoon ----- Penny
Peter McRobbie -------- Adrian Prussia
Jena Malone ----------- Hope Harlingen
Maya Rudolph ---------- Petunia Leeway
Martin Short ----------- Dr. Blatnoyd

Full Cast and Crew

View more images

Paul Thomas Anderson has a lot of fans on here, so although quite a while a way, I thought why not post up his next project? An adaptation of Thomas Pynchon's novel Inherent Vice.

It's the first time the writer has allowed one of his works to be adapted for the film, the novel is set in 1960s Los Angeles and follows a stoner detective Larry 'Doc' Sportello' who becomes involved in a kidnapping case.

Initially Robert Downey Jr. was lined up to play the role of this seemingly eccentric drug-fueled character, but has since dropped out which has seen Joaquin Pheonix cast in the key role, following his Oscar-nominated performance in The Master.

Charlize Theron was also initially set to be a part of the film but has since dropped out, due to scheduling conflicts I believe.So some questions/discussion points for members/PTA Fans...

- Has anyone every read a Pynchon novel before?

- If so, how would you rate it, could you see his writing translating well to the screen?

- Who would you cast in this film? You need to have read the book to answer this I guess, but I guess you can say who you would like to see in a PTA film anyway.

- Can PTA keep up his level of consistency and produce another masterpiece like his last adaptation, There Will Be Blood?

- What do we expect the style of the film to be like, this kind of fits in with the first question. Will it be more exuberant like Boogie Nights or more a noir/detective/darker tale with a different approach from his previous films?

- Could this be PTA's The Big Lebowski? The story seems to have a lot in common with the Coen Brothers' masterpiece, LA setting, druggy detective, confused kidnapping case etc. I can see this being a more accessible and likeable film than The Master for most people.

I can't wait for this. Over and over again you see PTA tackling different eras of America and he always brings them to life so vividly. I have no doubt he'll do a great job with the 60s, but I'd be kind of surprised if he makes it as accessible as something like Boogie Nights. Recent works, such as There Will Be Blood and The Master, suggest to me that he's probably moved past that. Still, his style evolves constantly so I'm sure this will be totally unpredictable. Never read a Pynchon novel myself but I'm glad to see Joaquin Phoenix teaming up with Anderson once again.

It's too bad Downey dropped out, but maybe he didn't want to be "typecast". I thought the book was okay (
-), not a masterpiece or anything.

Yeah, it would have been interesting to see Downey work with PTA. We know what Phoenix is capable of though.

I'll be looking forward to this. At this point, I'd watch a Justin Bieber documentary if PTA was directing it.

Yeah, it would have been interesting to see Downey work with PTA.
Especially since Downey was excellent in Short Cuts, one of the best films from PTA's mentor, Robert Altman.

Some news.

Warner Bros set to finance. Shooting is supposed to have begun this month.

Kevin J. O'Connor cast, who There Will Be Blood fans will know him as Henry who turns up claiming to be Plainview's brother.

But even better for me, is the supposed casting of Benicio Del Toro, an actor I really like, as Sauncho Smila, Doc's Lawyer who is has a small but exciting role in the film.

Also HitchFan/Donnie/Altman fans: I was reading an article where some site called the film 'The Bong Goodbye', pretty clever

I'm SO looking forward to this. I hope Anderson keeps this pace and starts making one film every two years. That would be great!

Reese Witherspoon (co-starred with Phoenix in Walk The Line), Martin Short and Jena Malone added to the cast.

http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.co.u...rent-vice.html

With filming getting underway in under 2 weeks I'd expect to see more names revealed soon, very interesting so far and can't wait to see who is left to be cast.

Whoever is cast. This film will be the one I'm looking forward to the most of 2014.

It's PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON! Quality is assured.

Whoever is cast. This film will be the one I'm looking forward to the most of 2014.

It's PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON! Quality is assured.
I couldn't agree more, this is gonna be very interesting. A return to Boogie Nights PTA? I'm pleasantly surprised this new one is coming so soon; seeing as there was a five-year gap between There Will Be Blood and The Master, I was starting to think he was gonna go all Stanley Kubrick on us and become less and less prolific.

I couldn't agree more, this is gonna be very interesting. A return to Boogie Nights PTA? I'm pleasantly surprised this new one is coming so soon; seeing as there was a five-year gap between There Will Be Blood and The Master, I was starting to think he was gonna go all Stanley Kubrick on us and become less and less prolific.
I would love it if he'd make one film every two years. It would make the world a much better place (for me at least).

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I've read Inherent Vice. I was hoping for something like the Underground Crime Trilogy by Ellroy. It wasn't close to being anywhere as good, but I liked it. I'd give it a B-.

I'm all kinds of excited for Benicio to be in a PTA movie. The only thing better than that would be for him to be in an Almodovar film.

I think this could be really good. I like that he is doing something like this after The Master which was great, but I'd rather him not do something like that back to back.

I think this could be really good. I like that he is doing something like this after The Master which was great, but I'd rather him not do something like that back to back.
Well, it's not really back to back. There's still a considerable time gap between the two movies. There were only two years between Boogie Nights and Magnolia as well, which were also two completely different movies featuring some of the same actors and actresses.

^Well that makes it a bit more interesting. Loved Penn and Phoenix together in U Turn, though It's All About Love was terrible.