Lincoln

Tools    

I'm surpised to see that we didn't have a thread for Spielberg's upcoming movie. He's returing to do another bioptic, with Liam Neeson starring yet again. I'm really hoping for another Schindler's List, but I'm really not quite sure he'll be able to do it.

I can't wait to get some more information on this, though, because I don't even think he's started with it yet. He's probably going to finish up with The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn before getting really focused on this.

Oh wow, that's where I thought I had posted it. I guess that's what I get for posting really late last night, or techincally really early this morning.

All fixed.

Been hearing about this for years, based on the Doris Kearns-Godwin book, I believe, and Neeson has been "cast" since, like, 2005. I don't think it's next on his dock, but I think it's shortly after. In theory, at least. I'm sure it'll get nominated for a number of Oscars and seeing as how it's Spielberg, there's no chance I won't see it. But I am a little weary of hearing it merely talked about, and not made.

Spielberg is down as Producer/Director for Lincoln and it's, currently, slated for 2011. Neeson seems to be confirmed as Lincoln now, while Sally Field is rumoured for Mrs. Lincoln.

The whole idea pretty much puts me right to sleep.

Some of them want to use you. Some of them want to get used by you.

Some of them want to make films that make no impact because they feel so transparently calculated for the mainstream audience.

Spielberg reveals his Lincoln biopic will focus on the last four months of the president's life

2011-09-20

"Steven Spielberg is about to have a very, very busy fall. Not only is he releasing two movies in December, the historical epic War Horse and the classic comics adaptation The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn, but he's finally ready to start shooting Lincoln, the biopic of our 16th President that's been in development so long that Liam Neeson finally got too old to play him and had to be replaced by Daniel Day-Lewis.

As he prepares to shoot Lincoln around Richmond, Virginia, Spielberg for some reason talked to The Orlando Sentinel's Roger Moore about his plans for the movie, and said that even though the film is based on Doris Kearns Goodwin's book Team of Rivals-- which spanned Lincoln's entire Presidency-- the movie will focus only on the last four months.

He also said the movie's release date, presumably sometime during Oscar season next fall, will be intentionally planned for after the November election, because "I don't want it to become political fodder." That's an interesting strategy, and completely opposite from what Kathryn Bigelow is planning with her SEAL Team Six movie, which is deliberately set for an October release. Pretty much every political candidate, on either side of the spectrum, wants to compare himself to Lincoln, and it's hard to imagine Spielberg's film being perceived as partisan one way or another. But if he wants the freedom to make the movie he wants without having to worry about becoming a political football, I'd say he earned that right."

Semper Fooey
When is that Tim Burton movie where Lincoln kills vampires coming out?

I like Lincoln, but a movie about the last four months of his llife sounds BORING.

I doubt it'll be stuffy and boring, the premise may sound like it but we've got one of the most accomplished directors in history directing an awesome cast led by arguably the greatest actor alive, maybe ever. I like the trailer, it feels very Spielberg-y, which is never a bad thing.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Soooo, can we just give it ALL the Oscars now, or do we have to wait?

In the Beginning...
He sounds like Bill Clinton to me.
He really does. That surprised me. I thought Daniel Day-Lewis would have given him a deeper voice, something more fatherly. He sorta sounds like a stereotypical backwoods prospector.

Also, woe to anyone who watches that trailer and is epileptic. Way too many quick transitions and fades to black.

Still, the film's gonna be dynamite.