Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Victim of The Night

By Village Roadshow - http://www.joblo.com/movie-posters/gallipoli, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=39195833

Gallipoli - (1981)

There are keys on your keyboard that will wipe out your entire review if you're unlucky enough to hit them - and I'm particularly clumsy. So there goes my well-worded bit about Gallipoli - and here's my "can't be buggered" second version. The history behind the film focuses not only on my fellow countrymen, but West Australians - my lot. It was a military defeat, with Australian and New Zealanders mowed down by the Turks while British officers drank tea on the beaches. The good thing about Gallipoli is that it takes in the whole view of how those young men got into that situation - why they joined up, even in some cases disliking the British - under whose Empire they were fighting for. Mel Gibson and Mark Lee play two young athletes, one of whom dreams of overseas adventure, and the other who joins his mates despite being unsupportive of the war. In the end what it amounts to is senseless slaughter - Peter Weir taking some of his inspiration from Paths of Glory and All Quiet on the Western Front.

8/10
Man, I haven't see this since I was a kid, might need to go back and give it a spin.

Just finished watching the film Men (2022) on blu ray. Directed by Alex Garland, Men stars Jessie Buckley as a woman in the English countryside dealing with past tragedy. This is the definition of a slow burn and is the type of film where the mood and the vibes take precedent over the story. Men is a strange film, but an interesting and compelling one. The cinematography is beautiful and the score is eerie and effective. Jessie Buckley's performance is very good and the film has some fantastic, striking, unusual imagery and bizarre moments. I'm not sure what the point of Men is though and what the director is or isn't trying to say. I can see people loving or hating Men and I can get that. For me, Men is worthwhile, challenging and one of the best films of the year. My rating is

That does it. There's way too many different people here giving Prey a thumbs up. I'm gonna break down and hook the PS4 up to the large TV in the living room. That's about the only way I can think of to watch it. I'm not watching it on the smaller TV or a laptop.

By https://cartelesmix.es/cartelesdecine/?p=1762, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7454163

Charade - (1963)

Charade was an interesting new experience, although watching an old Cary Grant smooch with a young Audrey Hepburn made me a little uncomfortable. It has a good sense of what's fun, and a Hitchcock feel at times - where you know you won't know what's going on until the credits roll. I suspected Hepburn's character was in the know and behind everything - because that would have been the most surprising twist. I got it wrong. But in any event, I never knew George Kennedy, Walter Matthau and James Coburn were in it - and I enjoyed the mix of light-hearted skullduggery, romance and mystery. Seems a lot of movies were using Nazi gold in their plots during this time period. I didn't think it was a cinematic great - but all the same, a very good 60s movie.

7/10
Your comments about this movie are on the money.

By https://cartelesmix.es/cartelesdecine/?p=1762, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7454163

Charade - (1963)

Charade was an interesting new experience, although watching an old Cary Grant smooch with a young Audrey Hepburn made me a little uncomfortable. It has a good sense of what's fun, and a Hitchcock feel at times - where you know you won't know what's going on until the credits roll. I suspected Hepburn's character was in the know and behind everything - because that would have been the most surprising twist. I got it wrong. But in any event, I never knew George Kennedy, Walter Matthau and James Coburn were in it - and I enjoyed the mix of light-hearted skullduggery, romance and mystery. Seems a lot of movies were using Nazi gold in their plots during this time period. I didn't think it was a cinematic great - but all the same, a very good 60s movie.

7/10

Hepburn was in her mid thirties

I forgot the opening line.
Hepburn was in her mid thirties
Hey, mid thirties is pretty young to me now, and is looking younger and younger as each year races along.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I forgot the opening line.

By Distributed by Universal Pictures, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=15982884

Streets of Fire - (1984)

There seem to be many interesting cinematic failures buried in the sands of time - ones I'm surprised I've never heard about. Here's one that was recommended to me that's a strange mix of musical/alternate universe gang film ala-The Warriors and film noir. It makes sense, because the director was Walter Hill - and he directed The Warriors. The film describes itself as "A Rock & Roll Fable" and has 80s star Michael Paré, sounding like Sylvester Stallone and sporting a trench coat - he's back in town, one which looks like New York with modern music but art deco-like design and 40s/50s cars. His old flame has taken up with a new guy (played by Rick Moranis, in a rare serious role) and has been kidnapped by a thug (played by Willem Dafoe) - so of course he agrees to rescue her, and although the cops and thugs slow him down, the musical numbers also get in the way. Streets of Fire was a box office bomb - competing with the likes of Star Trek III : The Search for Spock - but it's interesting nonetheless. I can't say I really enjoyed it - the dialogue was so hokey the film is nearly a parody of 50s noir, but the music was pretty good, and the film has a nice and interesting look to it - close to Dick Tracy - and Dafoe shines like a future star.

6/10

By http://www.movieweb.com/news/bridesmaids-poster, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=33275484

Bridesmaids - (2011)

I'm tempted to give Bridesmaids an '8' - it's funny, and exists in an era where many comedies simply are not that funny and enjoyable. Kristen Wiig just hits this one out of the park, and all the ladies appear to be comedically inspired - with the best stuff coming from improv, where the situations involved set up many great moments. I wasn't expecting something that tickled me this much, in just the right way. There's not much more to say about it though - the bridal story seems superfluous, and it's simply about Helen (Rose Byrne) infringing on a friendship Annie (Wiig) has with Lillian (Maya Rudolph) - Helen is rich, and as such can win Lillian over much more easily, which is where much of Annie's frustration comes from. Directed by Paul Feig and nominated for 2 Oscars - Best Original Screenplay, and Best Supporting Actress (Melissa McCarthy) - perhaps there should be a Best Ensemble Oscar awarded each year.

7.5/10

I mean I think it's one of the most boring films I've ever seen and I'd be proud to still not have seen it. Sadly, I don't have that honour, so I content myself with not having seen it for a long time.

Victim of The Night
Hey, mid thirties is pretty young to me now, and is looking younger and younger as each year races along.
I'll drink to that.

Victim of The Night

By Distributed by Universal Pictures, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=15982884

Streets of Fire - (1984)

There seem to be many interesting cinematic failures buried in the sands of time - ones I'm surprised I've never heard about. Here's one that was recommended to me that's a strange mix of musical/alternate universe gang film ala-The Warriors and film noir. It makes sense, because the director was Walter Hill - and he directed The Warriors. The film describes itself as "A Rock & Roll Fable" and has 80s star Michael Paré, sounding like Sylvester Stallone and sporting a trench coat - he's back in town, one which looks like New York with modern music but art deco-like design and 40s/50s cars. His old flame has taken up with a new guy (played by Rick Moranis, in a rare serious role) and has been kidnapped by a thug (played by Willem Dafoe) - so of course he agrees to rescue her, and although the cops and thugs slow him down, the musical numbers also get in the way. Streets of Fire was a box office bomb - competing with the likes of Star Trek III : The Search for Spock - but it's interesting nonetheless. I can't say I really enjoyed it - the dialogue was so hokey the film is nearly a parody of 50s noir, but the music was pretty good, and the film has a nice and interesting look to it - close to Dick Tracy - and Dafoe shines like a future star.

6/10
And just like that, we're not friends anymore.

Victim of The Night

Silverado

Imagine if the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse riding across the West trope were fleshed out to a 2h 13m movie… but the horsemen were all heroes instead of villains or revisionist anti-heroes. Just straight-up paladins (though maybe Jake is Chaotic Good).

Such, really, is the premise of Lawrence Kasdan's in-yo-FACE-revisionists! Western. This is not the Western for people looking for the dark and edgy and nihilistic drudgery of the 70s nor the gritty anti-heroes of the Spaghetti Western. This is the Western for people who wanna go "f*ck yeah!" The heroes are heroes and will unerringly do the right thing even at great peril. The villain is malevolent enough that you can't wait to see him take a bullet. And all the principles are almost supernatural with their gun of choice.
I loved it again.
This movie is so ARCH, so big and unapologetic about its archness... and yet manages to not be silly in the way Tombstone sometimes feels silly. It feels big and obvious and is on a bit of a tightrope up above a pool of vicious eye-rolls but tip-toes with ease across “admit it, this is fun” without falling in and being devoured by a smirking audience. It actually gives you exactly what you want, even if you don't want to admit it.

The acting, at least from the main cast, is elite.
Linda Hunt really shines, she’s the Midnight Star of the film. Kline is just absolutely perfect, I forget how gifted and skilled he was. I feel like this is Scott Glenn’s best role, he’s gravelly without taking it too far as he has on occasion. Costner reminds me that he could be a pretty good actor with the right role and I enjoyed an interview he did talking about how he prepared for this one and what it was like working on the film.
But Brian Dennehy, like Hunt, is worth singling (doubling) out. He really was a great craftsman and brought something special to his work as he does here. He can be jovial, intense, menacing, he can do jovial while being menacing, and he has a surprising athleticism for a big man that you see in little things he does that really matter. The way he throws a punch, suddenly and with real (apparent) force, the way he pops out a chair to walk into a gunfight, with a quick energy that makes him seem like a predator. It’s a really good performance.

Goldblum should have been given either more or less to do, as with Patricia Arquette.
Which brings me to my only negative which is that a long movie needs to be making good use of its time and, while this is true for most of Silverado’s run-time, there is material that either seems like fat or cut too lean.
Rosanna Arquette’s character, really, is a bit of a distraction and confusion in the film, as it is. One suspects that there is material on the cutting-room floor that makes her existence in this movie and the way she intertwines with a couple of main characters actually make sense. But if they were going to cut her character as lean as they did, to where you’re really not sure, even at the end, what’s going on with her and Paden and Emmett. Is there a love triangle there, is there a possibility there for one or both of them, is she there just to show that the two men can never leave the lives they live, is she a glimmer of hope for both of them, what the hell is going on with her? That’s too many questions. They should have either left her full story in or cut her completely. I suspect, as it’s well-documented that she was everybody’s muse for that brief period in the early to mid 80s (ask Toto), that Kasdan realized her part made the movie too long but he just couldn’t bring himself to cut her out, so he cut her down to what he thought he could get away with and, while you can hand-wave it and it doesn’t hurt anything, it’s superfluous as it is and makes the movie run a little long and lose a bit of steam. For my part, I would like to have seen more of it, I think it would have given the movie a little more depth, but alas.

And the same can probably be said of Goldblum’s character, Slick. Here, I suspect Kasdan knew he had somebody in Jeff Goldblum, from The Big Chill, and wanted to use him in this film so he wrote a part for him. But the part isn’t really necessary. It creates an extra character and he is involved in the machinations, but his motivations are barely implied so the audience really has to infer why he’s doing what he’s doing. And while you could argue that he intertwines with the main characters during the climax, you could also argue that that whole sub-plot with the sister could have been cut out (saving Lynn Whitfield from putting a pretty rough performance on celluloid for the ages) and with it Goldblum.

Hey! I just cut the movie down from a tiny bit-overlong 2h 13m to an even 2h without losing anything that mattered! I should be getting paid for this!

Anyway, Kasdan really does a pretty marvelous job here, even if it does feel like one of the best movies Spielberg never made. Everyone knows I don’t like Spielberg but his kind of storytelling and sheen wears well on this film as it’s exactly the right script for it. There are so many good moments you just enjoy and want to rewind real quick and watch again. John Cleese’s scene comes to mind but it’s actually little things Kasdan does in the scene as much as Cleese or the scene itself. Some of these ARCH moments land really well too, like when Glover’s Mal stands over the villains with his Henry rifle and says, “Now, I don’t wanna kill you and you don’t wanna be dead”, Or the cut to the next shot of the not-dead villains walking home down the dirt road with one of them stepping in horse-shit but just brushing it off (so many directors might have ****ed that up), Or my favorite moments, of the gunfighters really doing their thing, one when a guy shoots at them from a rocky promontory and all three men draw their weapons and fire simultaneously and you never know who hit the now-dead man or who didn’t, or Jake (Costner’s) great scene of luring in two of the baddies and then pulling a trick-draw to end them both. So satisfying.
That’s what I would say the movie is, really, just 2h of “satisfying” over and over again. With 13 minutes of fat that might have been cut but isn’t too unsavory.

Badmouthing Streets of Fire around here is like badmouthing Canadian beer during one of their hockey games: you just don't do it.

Closely Watched Trains -

This Czech comedy, which sort of reminded me of American Pie - Czech Pie, if you will - is set during the country's German occupation during World War II. It stars Václav Neckář as Milos, an apprentice train dispatcher who is eager to end the tradition of his forefathers not exactly contributing during times of crisis. He's also eager, as the first sentence implies, to, umm...lose it.

Most of the laughs, and they're all good ones, result from Milos's encounters with Masa (the charming Jitka Bendová), a conductor with whom he shares an attraction, but who is on the go much more than he would like. I also ended up laughing whenever Nazi loyalist Zedníček (Vlastimil Brodský, who is also a highlight of When the Cat Comes) appears on screen because whether it's the train station staff's refusal to take him seriously or his self-importance, he's a reliable subject of ridicule. Oh, and you're assuming that Milo's, umm…condition is a metaphor for the condition of the Czech people during this occupation, you would be right and not just because of how you also probably assume the movie ends. I don't love everything about this movie: it drags more than I would like; also, it’s too darkly lit at times and the basic and blocky camerawork make it hard to watch sometimes. I still think it deserves to be called one of the gems of the Czech New Wave and it stands alongside The Firemen's Ball as a classic example of the county’s comedy.

Badmouthing Streets of Fire around here is like badmouthing Canadian beer during one of their hockey games: you just don't do it.
WARNING: spoilers below
I out and out missed the boat on this one. My sister loves it. Maybe it's mostly nostalgia. And there are good parts to it like Dafoe and anytime The Blasters are onscreen. But I thought the acting overall was atrocious and Moranis implausibly hostile. He started out at a 10. They should have allowed it to build. For me the bad outweighed whatever good parts there were.

WARNING: spoilers below
Good writeup. Another nostalgia soaked family favorite. Maybe it's a specific time and place it brings to mind. A happier and less complicated time? But they still talk about particular scenes and moments in an almost wistful manner. The "I don't want to shoot you and you don't want to be dead" scene. And shooting the needles off the cactus.

I wasn't there when they first watched it though so it's not the same for me.