Roger Ebert dead at 70.

Tools    

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Roger Ebert dead at 70

Originally Posted by Chicago Tribune
It was reviewing movies that made Roger Ebert as famous and wealthy as many of the stars who felt the sting or caress of his pen or were the recipients of his televised thumbs-up or thumbs-down judgments. But in his words and in his life he displayed the soul of a poet whose passions and interests extended far beyond the darkened theaters where he spent so much of his professional life.

The Pulitzer Prize-winning movie critic for the Chicago Sun-Times for more than 45 years and for more than three decades the co-host of one of the most powerful programs in television history (initially with the late Gene Siskel, the movie critic for the Chicago Tribune, and, following Siskel’s death in 1999, with his Sun-Times colleague Richard Roeper), Ebert died Thursday, according to a family friend.
.. click the link for more.

Terribly sad to see one of my favorites go, but hopefully he's at peace now. RIP.

I couldn't say that I always agreed with his opinions but he surely taught me some things about movies.It's depressing to see such a person leave the world.Rest in Peace.

He was an excellent writer, and he managed to walk the line between being both a scholar of cinema and a genuine fan, as well.

I can think of no better way to react to his career than with this:

RIP.

The man wrote fantastic reviews. A big loss to movie critic world.

RIP

In the Beginning...
Very sad. I loved his thoughtful approach to reviewing films. It's a lot of snark these days, but as Yoda said, he genuinely loved film and both recognized and appreciated what filmmakers attempted to achieve.

Originally Posted by Yoda
I can think of no better way to react to his career than with this:
from me.

In just the past few years he's helped to open me up to all kinds of films in ways I never imagined. I'm genuinely hit hard by this. RIP.

Oh man, RIP Mr.Ebert, a true legend. To think just a couple hours ago I was visiting his site reading an old review. I will truly miss the man, hopefully he will be remembered for many years, I know I will.

ROGER EBERT
The only movie critic I routinely cared for.

His reviews were often very humorous. The majority of his film
reviews were completely agreeable with me, while some were
totally different. He gave J. Edgar (a film I've been talking about
here a little recently) 3.5 out of 4, while everyone else trashed it.
He gave the first two Hellraiser films I like only half of a star.

He was a deep thinker and it appears that he also loved
the popcorn at movie theater concession stands. Near the end
of his life, he got to become an exciting robo-voiced movie reviewer
when he lost his ability to speak.

Here's an amusing little chat he had with Howard Stern (with Gene
Siskel and Robin Quivers) in the early '90s.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	RogerEbert.jpg
Views:	2265
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	10397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roger.JPG
Views:	1937
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	10398  

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Of course it's sad but Ebert's life has been sad for awhile now. I'm lucky enough to have watched the old Sneak Previews show on PBS with Rog and Gene before they went to network TV, so I feel I've been along for the ride. Rog was a good writer and a fair critic, but he would often go against the grain as an advocate or a naysayer, and sometimes he seemed to not see the forest for the trees, but that only made him more human. Roger and Gene did have their share of disagreements but now they share the same space again. With my recent health problems,, I may be joining them soon, but I hope I can see them review all the latest releases and maybe even get my two cents worth in.

R.I.P. Roger

From the NY times
Mr. Ebert — who said he saw 500 films a year and reviewed half of them — was once asked what movie he thought was shown over and over again in heaven, and what snack would be free of charge and calories there.

“ ‘Citizen Kane’ and vanilla Haagen-Dazs ice cream,” he answered.
I don't think I've ever felt more sad about a person that passed away, and that I never met. I loved reading his reviews, and I know I'll still love reading them.

R.I.P

Yeah, this is tragic. He's one of Chicago's greatest treasures and quite honestly the only critic whose opinions have been of consistent value to me. He'll be missed.

Of course it's sad but Ebert's life has been sad for awhile now. I'm lucky enough to have watched the old Sneak Previews show on PBS witn Rog and Gene before they went to network TV, so I feel I've been along for the ride. Rog was a good writer and a fair critic, but he would often go against the grain as an advocate or a naysayer, and sometimes he seemed to not see the forest for the trees, but that only made him more human. Roger and Gene did have their share of disagreements but now they share the same space again. With my recent health problems,, I may be joining them soon, but I hope T can see them review all the latest releases and maybe even get my two cents worth in.

R.I.P. Roger
Yeah, I too used to watch Roger and Gene on PBS back in the day. It was one program I tried my best to watch every week.

It's hard to think of many figures in any field (besides Nelson Mandela and a few others) so well-respected and loved as Roger Ebert. He will be greatly missed.

Hope your health improves soon, Mark.

I never personally followed him or read any of his reviews, however, I know of him and I know the amount of time and effort he has put into films. A sad day for films no doubt, sad way to go out as well; he's clearly been through a lot the past 10 or so years and deserves a lot of credit for keeping active and maintaining his work up to his death.

My favorite movie review of Roger Ebert's that I came across is probably this one -- for the 1998 movie, Jack Frost, starring Michael Keaton.

Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
"Jack Frost" is the kind of movie that makes you want to take the temperature, if not feel for the pulse, of the filmmakers. What possessed anyone to think this was a plausible idea for a movie? It's a bad film, yes, but that's not the real problem. "Jack Frost" could have been co-directed by Orson Welles and Steven Spielberg and still be unwatchable, because of that damned snowman.

The snowman gave me the creeps. Never have I disliked a movie character more. They say state-of-the-art special effects can create the illusion of anything on the screen, and now we have proof: It's possible for the Jim Henson folks and Industrial Light and Magic to put their heads together and come up with the most repulsive single creature in the history of special effects, and I am not forgetting the Chucky doll or the desert intestine from "Star Wars." To see the snowman is to dislike the snowman. It doesn't look like a snowman, anyway. It looks like a cheap snowman suit. When it moves, it doesn't exactly glide--it walks, but without feet, like it's creeping on its torso. It has anorexic tree limbs for arms, which spin through 360 degrees when it's throwing snowballs. It has a big, wide mouth that moves as if masticating Gummi Bears. And it's this kid's dad.

Yes, little Charlie (Joseph Cross) has been without a father for a year, since his dad (Michael Keaton) was killed--on Christmas Day, of course. A year later, Charlie plays his father's magic harmonica ("If you ever need me ... ") and his father turns up as the snowman.

Think about that. It is an astounding fact. The snowman on Charlie's front lawn is a living, moving creature inhabited by the personality of his father. It is a reflection of the lame-brained screenplay that despite having a sentient snowman, the movie casts about for plot fillers, including a school bully, a chase scene, snowball fights, a hockey team, an old family friend to talk to Mom--you know, stuff to keep up the interest between those boring scenes when the snowman is TALKING.

What do you ask a snowman inhabited by your father? After all, Dad's been dead a year. What's it like on the other side? Is there a heaven? Big Bang or steady state? When will the NBA lockout end? Elvis--dead? What's it like standing out on the lawn in the cold all night? Ever meet any angels? Has anybody else ever come back as a snowman? Do you have to eat? If you do, then what? Any good reporter could talk to that snowman for five minutes and come back with some great quotes.

But Charlie, self-centered little movie child, is more concerned with how Jack Frost (his father's real name) can help him. His dad has been dead for a year and comes back as a snowman and all he can think of is using the snowman to defeat the school bully in a snowball fight. Also, the kid tries to keep Dad from melting. (What kind of a half-track miracle is it if a snowman can talk, but it can't keep from melting?) Does the snowman have any advice for his son? Here is a typical conversation: Jack Frost: "You da man!" Charlie: "No, YOU da man!" Jack: "No, I da SNOWMAN!" Eventually the snowman has to leave again--a fairly abrupt development announced with the cursory line, "It's time for me to go ... get on with your life." By this time the snowman's secret is known not only to his son but to his wife (Kelly Preston), who takes a phone call from her dead husband with what, under the circumstances, can only be described as extreme aplomb. At the end, the human Jack Frost materializes again, inside swirling fake snow, and tells his wife and son, "If you ever need me, I'm right here." And Charlie doesn't even ask, "What about on a hot day?"

Roger Ebert and Gene Siskel were the only film critics I listened to after I stopped listening to professional film critics. I did not always agree with them on certain movies, but more often then not I thought they were on point. And now the the last member of the old pair has passed on. They can now continue to bicker about movies in Heaven.

RIP Roger.