The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Vaguely know that a movie named After Hours exists.

Never heard Arsenic and Old Lace.

Victim of The Night
After Hours is my No.1 Scorsese Film but I did not include it in my list of Top 25 Comedies Of All Time. Love the film, beats the crap out of Goodfellas for me.

Arsenic and Old Lace was my No.4 Comedy Of All Time.
It is just a truly, genuinely funny film from start to finish, pretty damn bonkers for its time, and is arguably Cary Grant's best comedic performance if not best performance, period.
Very pleased to see it here, and my mother would be thrilled, may she rest in peace.

I have now placed three from my list on this list or however we're thinking of it.

After Hours is one I haven't seen in decades. I remember it being really wacked-out and right up my alley, and I loved Griffin Dunne in it. I need to see this one again.

Arsenic and Old Lace is absolutely one of my all-time favorite films. I loved Cary Grant in all his "over the top" glory here. As things progress, he gets more and more crazed by the things happening to him, and then he starts to get resolved to the situation. The scene on the stairs near the end, where everyone is fighting (especially after the hilarious Jack Carson makes the crack about Raymond Massey, "Look at that puss. He looks like Boris Karloff,") and Cary is just sitting there, talking to himself, mumbling...just brilliant. All of the actors, even the smaller parts, are filled with wonderful character actors just waiting for their scene and moment to shine. I love James Gleason, who is always coming into a scene in a movie, usually with a "Say, what gives here?" remark. He's no different here. And maybe my favorite scene here, which cuts off too early, but we get to hear Cary Grant being funny off-screen:

My list:
#4.The In-Laws
#8.Stripes
#11.Arsenic and Old Lace
#14.Animal House
#18.Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Two films that I had to cut. I have a Cary Grant movie on my list and there was no more room for Arsenic, and I considered After Hours, which I love for its absurdist and vaguely surreal story, but ultimately cut.

After Hours is hard for me to place genre wise, but that’s a good thing. Certainly a unique and worthy addition to the list. You know this Scorsese fellow is quite a ‘funny guy’.

"An equal amount of blueberries in each muffin."

Nearing the top 25 already, think it will go a little something like this:

1. Dr. Strangelove
  2. Young Frankenstein
  3. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
  4. Monty Python's Life of Brian
  5. Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
  6. The Princess Bride
  7. Ghostbusters
  8. Some Like It Hot
  9. The Big Lebowski
  10. Blazing Saddles
  11. The Royal Tenenbaums
  12. Airplane!
  13. Groundhog Day
  14. His Girl Friday
  15. Shaun of the Dead
  16. Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
  17. The Jerk
  18. Raising Arizona
  19. Beverly Hills Cop
  20. American Graffiti
  21. The Blues Brothers
  22. Forrest Gump
  23. Bringing Up Baby
  24. Mrs. Doubtfire
  25. Hot Fuzz
  26. The Breakfast Club

After Hours is hard for me to place genre wise, but that’s a good thing. Certainly a unique and worthy addition to the list. You know this Scorsese fellow is quite a ‘funny guy’.

Nearing the top 25 already, think it will go a little something like this:

1. Dr. Strangelove
  2. Young Frankenstein
  3. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
  4. Monty Python's Life of Brian
  5. Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
  6. The Princess Bride
  7. Ghostbusters
  8. Some Like It Hot
  9. The Big Lebowski
  10. Blazing Saddles
  11. The Royal Tenenbaums
  12. Airplane!
  13. Groundhog Day
  14. His Girl Friday
  15. Shaun of the Dead
  16. Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
  17. The Jerk
  18. Raising Arizona
  19. Beverly Hills Cop
  20. American Graffiti
  21. The Blues Brothers
  22. Forrest Gump
  23. Bringing Up Baby
  24. Mrs. Doubtfire
  25. Hot Fuzz
  26. The Breakfast Club
  27. In Bruges/Midnight Run/Wedding Crashers/There's Something About Mary
Very pleased to see Young Frankenstein at # 2.

And I just double-checked my ballot, I've been meaning to say, "my unnamed, #2" for my predictions.

And despite it not making sense to keep predicting Life of Brian this early, I'm going to keep doing it.

And I'm going to keep predicting my unnamed #2, even into the top 10, even if that's also absurd.

After Hours wasn't brilliant. It felt a LITTLE on the hokey side, but the anics and plot progression were finely written for the most part. 8.5/10.

Seen 46/74

After Hours is okay. I liked it. but its no classic for me.
Arsenic and Old Lace is hilarious. I always get drawn in when it pops up.
Neither is on my list.

How are we at an uneven number of 27 left? If we did two a day...
We have 26 left, error on the first page says Arsenic is 28 but it's #27.
Edited my post, Wedding Crashers is out..

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
We have 26 left, error on the first page says Arsenic is 28 but it's #27.
Edited my post, Wedding Crashers is out..

Unfortunately like I said crashers never had a real shot. Short by about 2 fans here.

I've never seen After Hours. I guess I should?

Arsenic and Old Lace is another all-time favorite. When I was a kid there were two VHS tapes that we could reliably count on to be available to take out of the library down the street, and this was one of them (the other will show up later in the countdown). So I probably watched it at least 10 or 20 times back then, and many times since. Here's my 10/10 review from two years ago (which also reveals the other movie to come...). Arsenic and Old Lace was my #4.
Nice review. We were pretty close on this one. I had it a my #6. It was a brilliant Frank Capra screwball comedy, with everyone firing on all burners. Capra had implored everyone to over act, and it worked big time.

Everyone was first rate in this one. I thought Peter Lorre was at his best, especially in his reactions to Massey's Jonathan Brewster's gruesomeness. And of course the two aunties were pitch perfect.

Evidently the picture was made in 1941, but they had a contractual deal with the stage play that the movie couldn't be released until the play's Broadway end. Thus, 1944.

In the play, Mortimer's (Grant) last line was a gleeful, "I'm not a Brewster - I'm a bastard." But the censors forced a change to "...I'm the son of a sea cook." Not as impressive, but still a good ending.