Comedy Countdown POOL

→ in
Tools    

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Some of my top suggestions for the pool:

La grande vadrouille [Don't Look Now, We've Been Shot At] (1966)
Deconstructing Harry (1997)
The Gold Rush (1925)
One, Two, Three (1961)
The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain (1995)
Barefoot in the Park (1967)
Don Camillo [The Little World of Don Camillo] (1952)
Le gendarme de Saint-Tropez [The Troops of St. Tropez] (1964)
Whatever Works (2009)
The Gods Must Be Crazy (1980)
Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow (1963)
Notting Hill (1999)
The French Dispatch (2021)

Re-watched an old favorite last night. It may not make my ballot, but still might influence others.

"My Name is Nobody" (1973) a fun western romp with Henry Fonda and Terrence Hill.

7/10

Victim of The Night
The Awful Truth (1937) - Possibly my favorite Screwball (and I wrote my final paper for History Of Film 1925-1950 on the death of the Screwball comedy so I've seen a few), romantic comedy, and Cary Grant movie (though Arsenic and Old Lace is right there). Irene Dunne is also absolutely excellent, a comedically gifted actress. This is a genuinely funny movie for all the right reasons.

Victim of The Night
Which reminds me...

Arsenic and Old Lace - This was my mother's favorite comedy and it has also been one of mine since she first made me watch it sometime back in the 1980s. This is also Grant at his comedic best but just a fun farce of a movie all around that belongs at or near the top of everyone's list of Best Comedies.

Mrs. Doubtfire #1 and we riot.
There you go, @rauldc14 I've fixed that for you.

Not that it's bad at all but, y'know, it's not Spinal Tap.

Re-watched an old favorite last night. It may not make my ballot, but still might influence others.

"My Name is Nobody" (1973) a fun western romp with Henry Fonda and Terrence Hill.
7/10
I've seen that and it's quirky fun, good choice there.

The Awful Truth (1937) - Possibly my favorite Screwball (and I wrote my final paper for History Of Film 1925-1950 on the death of the Screwball comedy so I've seen a few), romantic comedy, and Cary Grant movie (though Arsenic and Old Lace is right there). Irene Dunne is also absolutely excellent, a comedically gifted actress. This is a genuinely funny movie for all the right reasons.
I love old screwball comedies too, I've seen The Awful Truth long ago, now that you mention it, I think I'll rewatch it and maybe it will make my ballot...What other old screwball comedies do you recommend?

Victim of The Night
I've seen that and it's quirky fun, good choice there.

I love old screwball comedies too, I've seen The Awful Truth long ago, now that you mention it, I think I'll rewatch it and maybe it will make my ballot...What other old screwball comedies do you recommend?
Not in any particular order, though I did include a scene from BUB because it's such a classic Screwball scene.
Bringing Up Baby

Two absolute masters at work.

The Lady Eve (Stanwyck's master performance more than balances Fonda's too-mopey dope)
The Philadelphia Story
My Man Godfrey
His Girl Friday
Christmas In Connecticut
And, somewhat controversially, It Happened One Night (which is also the first of the three films ever to win The Big Five at the Academy Awards).

I think those are a great place to start.

Bringing Up Baby
The Lady Eve (Stanwyck's master performance more than balances Fonda's too-mopey dope)
The Philadelphia Story
My Man Godfrey
His Girl Friday
Christmas In Connecticut

I think those are a great place to start.
I love Christmas in Connecticut, in fact I watched it for the 3rd time at Christmas. But strangely I had totally forgotten about it for my ballot. See, that's how this thread works!

And, somewhat controversially, It Happened One Night (which is also the first of the three films ever to win The Big Five at the Academy Awards).
Do I dare ask why it's controversially?

Victim of The Night
I love Christmas in Connecticut, in fact I watched it for the 3rd time at Christmas. But strangely I had totally forgotten about it for my ballot. See, that's how this thread works!

Yeah, Christmas In Connecticut, to me, is one of those great Christmas movies that it doesn't have to be Christmastime to enjoy. It's just a good Screwball Comedy that takes place at Christmas.

Well, there are people who say it can't be a Screwball Comedy because the genre didn't exist when the film was made. Of course, there are many others who say that's because this film invented the Screwball Comedy. It's an interesting movie because it seems so quaint by our contemporary standards but at the time there had really been nothing quite like it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

You submitted your ballot already?

I think a few people have PM'd their ballots, but those don't count. The ballot is done via the new form, just like the last two lists, and it's not quite available. It should be on Monday.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
These are actually some movies on the IMDB Comedy categories.

TCM plays a lot of comedies. Usually slapstick (not my thing) or black comedy, which would probably be on their great "Underground" series. On Saturday (10:15pm, ET), they'll playing "Arthur" on TCM. This is one of two movies I've seen with my mom, and I remember we both enjoying the audacity, the drunken laughter of this rich fella.. There's also a few movies in the next 48-72 hours like "The Dirty Dozen" (Cassavetes was funny in it) and "Cool Hand Luke", which had some funny scenes (most people like the eggs), but I loved the, "I wish you'd stop being so good to me, boss" line because it's well-written, it gets to the point, it reverses the sarcasm without being corny, and definitely gets under his skin.

Just a tip, but if someone sees that a comedy is going to be on TV in the near future (by your definition) post away... Maybe there's some who have a certain sense of humor but can't describe it. Maybe it makes one of our lists, maybe not, but the more commonality, the more chance we can have a conversation.

Buffalo '66
Mikey And Nicky
Harry And Tonto
A Woman Under The Influence
Minnie And Moskowitz
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
La Strada
Never On Sunday
Harold And Maude
Shadows In Paradise
Next Stop, Greenwich Village
Made For Each Other
Nashville
Annie Hall

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I made a quick list when we first started discussing the possibility of comedy movies being the next countdown, and this was my original list. I have since added a bunch of movies to my tentative list, (offline), but this list is a good starting point for anyone who's interested:

Favorite Comedy Movies

I listed them randomly, but it looks like the system automatically sorted them by date. There are very few recent movies, but a bunch of older movies, from the 1930s through the 1990s.

I made a quick list when we first started discussing the possibility of comedy movies being the next countdown, and this was my original list. I have since added a bunch of movies to my tentative list, (offline), but this list is a good starting point for anyone who's interested:

Favorite Comedy Movies

I listed them randomly, but it looks like the system automatically sorted them by date. There are very few recent movies, but a bunch of older movies, from the 1930s through the 1990s.
Neat idea! I should do that too. I'll take a look at your list tomorrow and make it a point to watch some of them and post back. Signing off now, it's late for me.