If I had a steak, I would f**k it!
Ranking the ones I've seen so far:

Dune
Belfast
Licorice Pizza
Power of the Dog
CODA
King Richard
Don't Look Up (the only one I don't like)

I've seen most of Nightmare Alley, I'm suspending judgment until I finish, it will probably rank high if the end is as good as the rest. Still need to see Drive My Car and West Side Story.

If I had a steak, I would f**k it!
Ranking the ones I've seen so far:

Dune
Belfast
Licorice Pizza
Power of the Dog
CODA
King Richard
Don't Look Up (the only one I don't like)

I've seen most of Nightmare Alley, I'm suspending judgment until I finish, it will probably rank high if the end is as good as the rest. Still need to see Drive My Car and West Side Story.
I might switch POD and CODA later, we'll see

A system of cells interlinked
CODA was so good. My wife was a mess after watching it. A good to start to my Oscar watches.

8 more to go...

Totally agree with you about CODA...I was in tears pretty much the last 40 minutes of the fim.
Really moving stuff. Except for the deafness, that father was pretty much a clone of my wife's late father, so she was immediately taken with him, and the scenes involving he and the daughter really got to her, as one can imagine.

Have sat through 8 of the 10 Oscar Best Picture noms - all except CODA & Drive My Car.

Belfast is the one that resonated most with me on a personal level, not least of which is the 'there, but for the grace of God, go I' about it for my family and I - not exactly obviously, but there are a number of points and can't help to feel those beats, as we left the troubles in Belfast under similiar circumstances in 1980 to go to Australia (so 10 years after this film is set). However, will it have that same resonance with the Academy voters, I don't know? It's well made but I don't know if I am being completely objective with this, and allowing that sort of personal connection overshadowing being completely objective here.

Don't Look Up I actually enjoyed the most - the writing is the stand out and the cast were clearly having fun with it all, but as neither director Adam McKay or any of the cast were nominated can pretty much rule this out as a contender, as no film has done this in 90 years* - and as much as I enjoyed it, I can't see the Academy voting for it.

* - There have been occasions where the director has been nominated but the cast snubbed - most recently Parasite or Slumdog Millionaire - and some where at least one of the 4 acting catagories nominated but not the director - most recently in Green Book or Argo - but the last time a Best Picture Winner had neither the director or any of the cast being at least nominated was 1932's Grand Hotel.

Dune had a lot of positives, and deservedly was praised because of it, especially on some of the technicals (the sound and soundscaping is a major case in point), and it is also the only one of the 10 films that cracked US$40m (which really is a pretty low benchmark) at the box office (Nth America was about US$107M & global of about US$400M), which kind of underlines where this year has been in terms of quality of nominees v publicly popular. Not that that means much in terms of Oscars, but worth noting none the less. My biggest criticism of this movie is that it is literally only half a movie.

Even each of the LOTR film were a self contained book, not a half of one, but do get the feeling that they are positioning this like how they did with the LOTR trilogy, trickle a couple of tech awards but save the big ones for the next one - fair or unfair, get that sense with Dune.

The Power of the Dog is perhaps the most classical 'Oscarbait' darling of this year's nominees. Strong direction, solid performances, pretty well written, and can only imagine that the set design, costume, cinematography etc are on point also - same as Dune. Can appreciate most of that, but it wasn't really my cup of tea and founf it a bit drag to get to the end. Apparently I am alone in not really rating Benedict Cumberbatch's performance here compared to other things he has done.

West Side Story was fine. I don't have a major problem with the remake - apart from the need for it to exist in the first place - but that they did remake it, and it was done pretty well. Even still it isn't brilliant, revolutionary or truly remarkable. Don't know if anyone in years to come when WSS is brought up, will immediately be thinking of this over the original version though, and with all due respect, I wouldn't even put this in Spielberg's top 10 movies, so it would be perverse for this to be a Oscar Best Picture winner over so many of his classics, and WSS is nowhere near as on par with his other Best Picture winner - Schindler's List.

Nightmare Alley remake is decent, without being special. I had really high hopes and expectations for this movie, but it doesn't need a 2 1/2hr runtime to tell the story, as it was pretty much all telegraphed well ahead of time, so really lacks a pay off and leads to pacing issues. Having sat through it twice on each occasion have had the same feeling of it having so much potential and yet ultimately underwhelming. and in actual fact prefer the original version from the 1940's with Tyrone Power, despite the star power, the original feels more gritty and more of a true noir.

King Richard - This is all Will Smith and his latest Oscarbait effort - the difference being it may pay off for him personally because that just seems to be the trend with some of the acting nods as it often seems to be as much about paying dues to a career rather than what was actually the best performance of any given year (IMO. Joaquin Phoenix in C'mon C'mon was best, but not even nom'd)... but as a film.... not as much. Think it's pretty clear this movie started life as being focused on the Williams sisters, but as soon as Smith got attached to the project it was completely retrofitted so that it puts him & his character at the centre of everything, and admittedly Smith's performance does carry the movie, apart from that there isn't really anything more than a standard sports biopic and certainly nothing that makes it exceptional piece of film making as a whole that would justify it being the best movie of the year, no matter how weak the year is.

Licorice Pizza - I like Paul Thomas Anderson's movies (esp Boogie Nights, Punch Drunk Love, The Master, Magnolia etc) but this one I just could not get into at all. I get that it is referential to real people (with changed names etc) - nothing Hollywood loves more than being in love with itself - but this one did nothing for me at all. There are far more interesting coming of age drama/romance, with all too few moments of levity, but movies that are self reverential like this that would infinitely prefer to revisit, than this.

The point is, in years to come and people look back on 2021, think the impression is that it has been a pretty lacklustre year if these really are the best of the best to choose from, and even with the ones that I do like, they are probably outsiders in the field.

I really hope that CODA or Drive My Car are better than a lot of these. Have heard good things of both, but neither got a theatrical release at the cinema I frequent and not forking out for any more streaming services so will just have to be pn due course.

The truth is in here
I've seen Dune and Don't Look Up. Dune is fine, but it's really only half a movie. And if it gets too much award recognition I will go on more about how overrated it is. Don't Look Up is the best comedy I've seen in quite a while. It's hilarious and scary at the same time. Leonardo DiCaprio is nothing short of brilliant, but the entire ensemble does a great job.

Unlike last year these all actually look interesting, only seen Dune thus far

Hashtag that shit, Bro!

Oscars: Twitter’s Top Fan-Voted Film Will Be Recognized During Broadcast
Three Twitter users who voted on their favorite films will also get to present an Oscar award at next year's ceremony.

The Hollywood Reporter
February 14, 2022 9:00am

Members of the Academy won’t be the only ones voting for their favorite films ahead of the 94th Academy Awards. Beginning this Monday, Twitter users will get to vote on their favorite films that were released in 2021 — regardless of if the film was nominated for an Oscar — using the hashtag #OscarsFanFavorite. The film that receives the most fan votes by March 3 will be recognized during the awards broadcast on March 27.

The Twitter love won’t end there, either. Three Twitter users who cast their votes during the Feb. 14 to March 3 period will be selected — along with their guests — to have an all-expenses-paid trip to Los Angeles to present an Oscar award at the following ceremony in 2023.

“We’re thrilled to partner with Twitter to help build an engaged and excited digital audience leading up to this year’s ceremony,” Meryl Johnson, VP digital marketing at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter. “Through these activations, social media users around the world now have more opportunities to engage with the show in real time, find a community, and be a part of the experience in ways they’ve never been able to before.”

The Academy originally toyed with creating a most popular film category during the 91st Academy Awards in 2019 as a means to encourage more mainstream moviegoers to watch the ceremony and boost ratings. But after significant pushback from critics and Academy members, the plan was ultimately scrapped and has not yet been reintroduced since then.

Though the fan-favorite film selected by Twitter users won’t be a formal Oscars category, it will give eager fans the opportunity to weigh in with their opinions of 2021’s best films, especially if they didn’t receive a nomination by the Academy, paving the way for a snubbed hit like Spider-Man: No Way Home to potentially find its way into the ceremony.

As part of the partnership between the Academy and Twitter, Twitter users will also be able to tweet about their favorite scene from a 2021 film using #OscarsCheerMoment. The winning scenes will be shown at the Oscars ceremony, alongside the fans tweets, and five users who participated in the campaign will receive a hefty prize pack that includes a full year of free movie tickets at the theater of their choice, subscriptions to streaming services and exclusive items from the Academy Museum store.

For both the fan-favorite film and cheer moment campaigns, Twitter users will be able to tweet out their submissions up to 20 times a day.

“Twitter is the place to be during award shows and the Oscars is one of the biggest conversation drivers every year,” said Sarah Rosen, Twitter’s head of U.S. entertainment and news partnerships. “The idea that a movie fan might see their tweet during the Oscars broadcast is pretty epic, and we are thrilled to have the opportunity to partner with the Academy to bring this to life.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...22-1235092124/
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I'm actually in Ravenclaw
I've seen 3 out of 10, still a long way to go...

We've had this discussion on here before. I agree with it in principle. But they would need to rename the category - 'Best picture in the English Language' obviously.

Just curious, do you think Parasite shouldn't have been in the Best Picture category?

Out of Best Picture nominees I’ve only seen these so far…

Don’t Look Up
Dune
Nightmare Alley
The Power of the Dog

I definitely plan for a couple more if not the entire bunch before the show.

Just curious, do you think Parasite shouldn't have been in the Best Picture category?
As good as Parasite was, I think there were far more deserving films that year that should have been in ahead of it (Capernaum, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Birds of Passage, Leto).

But It was nice to see it in that category and win.

My wife and I got Don't Look Up in over the weekend. I had heard this was pretty terrible, but I ended up enjoying it for what it was, which was sort of Southland Tales remade with an A-List cast. Absurd, over-the-top, with a few good laughs sprinkled throughout. The dramatic stuff worked better for me than the ham-fisted attempts at political satire, but that might be due to the current political landscape being so ridiculous at this point, that satire of this nature has become extremely hard to pull off properly.

I saw some angry MAGA types shitting all over this for being an outright attack on the right, but from where this conservative-leaning guy was sitting, this thing takes shots at pretty much the entire political spectrum - for instance, the president character was pretty much an amalgam of Trump and Hillary. I do think it sort of gave the media a pass, making them more so aloof and vapid than outright deceitful, but since Hollywood is a big part of the media, it makes sense that the filmmakers would use kid gloves there.

My other complaint is that Jen Lawrence seemed fairly disengaged, as well as a couple of the other actors that seemed to phone it is in places. Rylance was miscast, coming across more like Biden than a Musk or Zuckerberg.

I dunno, this director's films seems to be getting worse as we go along. Not sure why this is in the running for Best Picture, as it just doesn't fit the profile to me.