Scarlett Johansson for Lost in Translation
Malcolm McDowell for A Clockwork Orange
Henry Fonda for The Grapes of Wrath
Maggie Cheung for In the Mood for Love
Eli Wallach for The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
R. Lee Ermey for Full Metal Jacket
Sidney Poitier for In the Heat of the Night
Toshiro Mifune for Seven Samurai

Good list! I've seen all of those films except Persona and Seven Samurai. I'd agree with most all of those.

Especially these that I bolded:
Anthony Perkins for Psycho
Robert Mitchum for Night of the Hunter.

Ingrid Bergman for Casablanca
John Cazale for Dog Day Afternoon/ Godfather part 2
Scarlett Johansson for Lost in Translation
Malcolm McDowell for A Clockwork Orange
Henry Fonda for The Grapes of Wrath
Maggie Cheung for In the Mood for Love
Eli Wallach for The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
R. Lee Ermey for Full Metal Jacket
Sidney Poitier for In the Heat of the Night

⬆️ You’ve never seen Persona? One of the best movies ever.

In addition to those already mentioned in the opening post, a few off the top of my head, of actors who have been overlooked for performances that fully deserved recognition but were not even nominated,over the past 30-odd years.,,

Not including actors who have been previously or subsequently won an Oscar. as we all know the Academy has a habit of handing out Oscars for performances etc, as career recognition, such as Al Pacino for Scent of a Woman or more recently, Leonardo DiCaprio for The Revenant,when they were deserved for works prior.

Bruno Ganz - Downfall
David Thewlis - Naked
Sally Hawkins - Happy Go Lucky
David Oyelowo - Selma
Bjork - Dancer in the Dark
Gugu Mbatha-Raw - Belle
Taraji P Henson - Hidden Figures
Naomi Watts- Mulholland Drive

Good list! I've seen all of those films except Persona and Seven Samurai. I'd agree with most all of those.
I've never seen Persona either, but Seven Samurai is fantastic (the inspiration for The Magnificent Seven and several other movies).
It's a very long movie, but a very good one.

I've never seen Persona either, but Seven Samurai is fantastic (the inspiration for The Magnificent Seven and several other movies).
It's a very long movie, but a very good one.
Some day I'll catch both of those. I'll have to re-watch The Magnificent Seven as well, it's been a long time since I seen it.

I could go on for days on this subject...off the top of my head:

Joan Crawford in Humoresque
Ingrid Bergman in Notorious
James Cagney in One Two Three
Doris Day in Love Me or Leave Me
Marilyn Monroe in Bus Stop
Sidney Poitier in To Sir with Love
Gene Hackman in The Conversation
James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause
George C. Scott in Dr Strangelove
Gene Hackman in Scarecrow
Dustin Hoffman in Straight Time
Lauren Bacall in Murder on the Orient Express (1974)
Donald Sutherland in Ordinary People
Meryl Streep in Death Becomes Her
Robert De Niro in The King of Comedy
Jerry Lewis in The King of Comedy
Sandra Bernhard in The King of Comedy
Jennifer Jason Leigh in Georgia
John Turturro in Quiz Show
Burt Reynolds in Starting Over
Sandra Bullock in Hope Floats
Don Cheadle in Traffic
Denzel Washington in John Q
Barbra Streisand in Nuts
Sean Penn in The Assassination of Richard M Nixon
Gene Hackman in The Firm
Joan Allen in Pleasantville
Reese Witherspoon in Election
Goldie Hawn in The Sugarland Express
Sean Penn in The Falcon and the Snowman
Eddie Murphy in Bowfinger
Steve Martin in Roxanne
Steve Martin in Grand Canyon

Liv ulmann not received nod in autumn sonata especially since they acknowledged ingrid bergman in the same movie. Im not sure who else that was in the race in the same year that make her performance not make the end list but great performance nonetheless

The truth is in here
Al Pacino:
Carlito's Way (At times menacing, other times heartbreakingly tender. As much as I love him in Scent Of A Woman, he deserved the Oscar for Carlito's Way even more)

Jack Nicholson:
The Crossing Guard (I feel like this performance gets WAY overlooked. He was utterly spellbinding in this role)

Elisha Cuthbert:
The Girl Next Door (She plays one of the most captivating love interests I've ever seen. I know it's just a light romantic comedy, but her presence made it stand out as something worth a look. And I don't just mean in terms of, uuh... physics.)

Ida Lupino:
They Drive By Night (Watched this movie for Bogart, Lupino ended up making the biggest impression on me. She's brilliant in it!)

Vincent Price:
The Last Man On Earth (The most sensitive and heartfelt performance of his career)

Orson Welles:
The Stranger (One of the scariest depictions of a nazi on film)

Kiefer Sutherland:
Eye For An Eye (Speaking of scary... yikes. Sutherland plays an utterly sickening serial killer/rapist masterfully.)

Sidney Poitier:
Guess Who's Coming To Dinner (The only award that seemed to notice him at all was Fotogramas de Plata)

Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint should both have gotten some attention for North By Northwest.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Amber Heard pretending to be a domestic abuse victim when she was in fact the abuser. Probably more deserving of a Razzie than an Oscar though.

Elisha Cuthbert:
The Girl Next Door (She plays one of the most captivating love interests I've ever seen. I know it's just a light romantic comedy, but her presence made it stand out as something worth a look. And I don't just mean in terms of, uuh... physics.)
As someone who fell madly in love with her because of that role (just like millions of other men and maybe even women),I whole heartedly agree with this take.

Dustin Hoffman was amazing in Straw Dogs in 1971. Don’t know what other movies it went up against, but he should at least have received a nod.

Dustin Hoffman was amazing in Straw Dogs in 1971. Don’t know what other movies it went up against, but he should at least have received a nod.
The only Oscar Peckinpah's Straw Dogs competed for was Jerry Fielding's Original Score, which lost to Summer of '42. The five nominees for Best Actor that year were Peter Finch (Sunday Bloody Sunday), Gene Hackman (The French Connection), Walter Matthau (Kotch), George C. Scott (The Hospital), and Topol (Fiddler on the Roof). Gene Hackman won his first Oscar.

Some of the other great but unnominated male lead performances that year included Malcolm McDowell (A Clockwork Orange), Warren Beatty (McCabe & Mrs. Miller), Max von Sydow (The Emigrants), Jack Nicholson (Carnal Knowledge), Peter Fonda (The Hired Hand), Al Pacino (The Panic in Needle Park), John Finch (Macbeth), and Richard Attenborough (10 Rillington Place).

The Hoffman performance from the '70s I think was overlooked was not Straw Dogs but Straight Time (1978). Hoffman would win his already overdue Oscar the very next year for Kramer vs. Kramer, but I would have nominated him for Straight Time. That was the year Jon Voight won for Coming Home and I have no quarrel with that. The other nominees were DeNiro for The Deer Hunter, Warren Beatty for Heaven Can Wait, Gary Busey for The Buddy Holly Story, and Laurence Olivier for The Boys from Brazil. The Olivier nomination is just laughable, Hoffman could have easily replaced him. The Warren Beatty nod is a very movie star turn and making up for the nominations he probably should have gotten for McCabe & Mrs. Miller and/or Shampoo. I wouldn't feel bad about losing that nomination, either.

It was kind of an off year, not that many great films around, and Straight Time was just plain missed. Some of the other good lead performances from 1978 were Harvey Kietel in Fingers and Blue Collar, Brad Davis in Midnight Express, Richard Gere in Days of Heaven, Henry G. Sanders in Killer of Sheep, and Nick Nolte in Who'll Stop the Rain but it honestly wasn't as full a year as usual.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Welcome to the human race...
Amber Heard pretending to be a domestic abuse victim when she was in fact the abuser. Probably more deserving of a Razzie than an Oscar though.

You really don't want people to think the quote in your signature is unearned, huh?

@Holden Pike, had never heard of Straight Time until I saw it here (probably from you). I recently enjoyed it, but Straw Dogs is better. So many good movies around in the very early seventies according to your lists.