The Snooker Thread

Tools    

Anybody watching? I've only really had it on in the background except the Higgins-Trump match which made me stop what i was doing several times, insane. He does it so much especially at the Worlds, i honestly think i feel more comfortable if he has to comeback. I absolutely agree with the consensus that Ronnie is the better player and the best of all time, but despite winning less (might be the same this year) i honestly think Higgins is better at the Crucible. He's a lot better mentally than Ronnie at least consistently which i think makes up for Ronnie's clearly superior abilities to a degree which has kept them close in success throughout their careers, i think his mental toughness really comes into play at the Crucible over the much longer matches than usual. Can't remember if it was Trump or Robertson that said Ronnie is the best but the player i like to play least is Higgins, i think that makes sense at least at the worlds. Anyway, go John!

Can't believe a Higgins v Williams Final is possible in 2018, the class of 92 have got to be up there with like the 84/03 NBA players as best incoming players in a sport. I'd have O'Sullivan and Higgins above Hendry and Davis, especially taking the quality of their competition into account i mean those three playing at the same time is just insanity. Williams would be there too but i have him a bit behind because he's been a lot more inconsistent, he pretty much dropped off the tour at one point and even during his comebacks in recent years he hasn't really won much since like the mid 2000's. Still no doubt one of the best.

Keeping an eye on it. Being Welsh I'm obviously rooting for Mark Williams, who despite appearing grumpy as hell is actually quite a nice bloke - I've met him a couple of times.

Great 146 by Higgins the other day.

Keeping an eye on it. Being Welsh I'm obviously rooting for Mark Williams, who despite appearing grumpy as hell is actually quite a nice bloke - I've met him a couple of times.

Great 146 by Higgins the other day.
Williams has always been super grumpy but i've always liked him, my dad hates him haha. Think he hates everyone other than Higgins tho, although he gained begrudging respect that time Mark told people to STFU for heckling Higgins during their semi that one year, something Higgins obviously deserved as much as it pains me to admit. I always really like it when Mark does well as i think we missed so much of his prime due to depression or whatever it was that caused him to disappear for like five years at one point, and he, Higgins, and Ronnie obviously don't have that many years left to do well so if not Higgins i'm rooting for Mark too. I also like Kyren but he'd be a weird World Champion to me, so would Barry despite his success in recent years he's always seemed like a really good perimeter player similar to Bingham who has to be the weirdest World Champion since like Joe Johnson, even Dott suits it better considering he has always been better at the Crucible than any other tournament and is a 3 time finalist.

I've met Higgins like two dozen times now, he occasionally trains at a place i play snooker a couple of times a month. After the first time i've always felt awkward trying to talk to him since he's there working obviously but he always waves or comes over and speaks for a couple of minutes, i often go there with my dad and Higgins is basically his hero with him being a Celtic fan and especially since he took his first World Title to Celtic Park (me and my dad where there, it was my third match) it's hilarious seeing my dad act like a bashful schoolgirl around someone younger than him Nah, he doesn't really.

Williams has always been super grumpy but i've always liked him, my dad hates him haha. Think he hates everyone other than Higgins tho, although he gained begrudging respect that time Mark told people to STFU for heckling Higgins during their semi that one year, something Higgins obviously deserved as much as it pains me to admit. I always really like it when Mark does well as i think we missed so much of his prime due to depression or whatever it was that caused him to disappear for like five years at one point, and he, Higgins, and Ronnie obviously don't have that many years left to do well so if not Higgins i'm rooting for Mark too. I also like Kyren but he'd be a weird World Champion to me, so would Barry despite his success in recent years he's always seemed like a really good perimeter player similar to Bingham who has to be the weirdest World Champion since like Joe Johnson, even Dott suits it better considering he has always been better at the Crucible than any other tournament and is a 3 time finalist.

I've met Higgins like two dozen times now, he occasionally trains at a place i play snooker a couple of times a month. After the first time i've always felt awkward trying to talk to him since he's there working obviously but he always waves or comes over and speaks for a couple of minutes, i often go there with my dad and Higgins is basically his hero with him being a Celtic fan and especially since he took his first World Title to Celtic Park (me and my dad where there, it was my third match) it's hilarious seeing my dad act like a bashful schoolgirl around someone younger than him Nah, he doesn't really.
Amazing. He does come across as a likeable bloke Higgins. I love how veterans can come back in a sport like this and be in contention.

I'm guessing you'll be even less of a Steven Grerard fan by the week's end then.

Amazing. He does come across as a likeable bloke Higgins. I love how veterans can come back in a sport like this and be in contention.

I'm guessing you'll be even less of a Steven Grerard fan by the week's end then.
My English team is Liverpool so Gerard can do no wrong. Also as heretical as it sounds i'd really like Rangers to get back to what they used to be before their collapse, for the Old Firm to actually mean something. Now it's just by how much will we win the title by this year and it feels cheap considering our main rival was taken out even though it's their own fault, i mean Scottish Football isn't very good in the first place having a team here in Glasgow as our main competition and with friends as supporters of them was always the most interesting part of it all even though i wouldn't have admitted it at the time.

Not saying Gerard will do anything to ensure that and i'm definitely a bit annoyed that a hero of mine growing up is going to them but yeah i don't hate Rangers like i did a decade ago and it's the worst haha.

Also sorry for asking in an unrelated topic but have you got to Atlanta yet? Man, the two best episodes of the show and one is an all timer for me are back to back in there, it's been better than Season 1 IMO.

My English team is Liverpool so Gerard can do no wrong. Also as heretical as it sounds i'd really like Rangers to get back to what they used to be before their collapse, for the Old Firm to actually mean something. Now it's just by how much will we win the title by this year and it feels cheap considering our main rival was taken out even though it's their own fault, i mean Scottish Football isn't very good in the first place having a team here in Glasgow as our main competition and with friends as supporters of them was always the most interesting part of it all even though i wouldn't have admitted it at the time.

Not saying Gerard will do anything to ensure that and i'm definitely a bit annoyed that a hero of mine growing up is going to them but yeah i don't hate Rangers like i did a decade ago and it's the worst haha.
I hear you. A celtic fan was saying exactly the same to me today. Either Scottish football is a at a low ebb or you Celtic fans are all going soft.

Also sorry for asking in an unrelated topic but have you got to Atlanta yet? Man, the two best episodes of the show and one is an all timer for me are back to back in there, it's been better than Season 1 IMO.
I've yet to watch it.I'm massively busy at the moment so it's on the backburner. I intend to start it in a couple of weeks. I keep saying how good it is to everyone yet it seems to be so unknown in these parts. Shame.

I hear you. A celtic fan was saying exactly the same to me today. Either Scottish football is a at a low ebb or you Celtic fans are all going soft.
It's definitely a low ebb. During the 2000's both Celtic and Rangers made the Uefa Cup Final and we were threats for a 2nd place Champions League Group finish/immediate exit in the Last 16, Celtic especially were a major threat at home to all of the best teams in the world, which i think is about our roof considering our budgets, now getting out of a Europa League Group into the Last 32 is incredible and feels like the end of the road. Celtic v Rangers is such a big part of the Scottish League lifting itself a bit above where it should be like during that decade, i mean i don't think there's many leagues that have been as dominated by two teams like ours. There's been 120 Scottish League Seasons and 103 are shared between Celtic (49) and Rangers (54). Rangers have won more League titles than any team in the world and Celtic are up there too, it's insane and is a tradition i'd like to return to haha.

I've yet to watch it.I'm massively busy at the moment so it's on the backburner. I intend to start it in a couple of weeks. I keep saying how good it is to everyone yet it seems to be so unknown in these parts. Shame.
Looking forward to you visiting that thread then, been talking to myself in there haha. Yeah, i told friends about it during Season 1 and again recently after been blown away from a recent episode and none of them have watched it . The only people i've got to watch it are two ex girlfriends and that's only coz i put it on while they were there, both of them loved it. Not sure what the resistance is all about it's so great.

Looking forward to you visiting that thread then, been talking to myself in there haha. Yeah, i told friends about it during Season 1 and again recently after been blown away from a recent episode and none of them have watched it . The only people i've got to watch it are two ex girlfriends and that's only coz i put it on while they were there, both of them loved it. Not sure what the resistance is all about it's so great.
The only thing to rival it in terms of amazingly produced drama comedy is an episode of 'Master of None' I saw recently. Even if you don't like the series as a whole, I'd urge anyone to watch this episode, it is amazingly well done:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6224692/

Season 2 episode 6.

The only thing to rival it in terms of amazingly produced drama comedy is an episode of 'Master of None' I saw recently. Even if you don't like the series as a whole, I'd urge anyone to watch this episode, it is amazingly well done:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6224692/

Season 2 episode 6.
I love Master of None and agreed that's probably the best episode, have to say though this Season Atlanta has far surpassed MoN for me i think it's the best ongoing show, Season 2 is such a step up.

Guessing you've seen Donald's latest work?

Incredible video, even if you don't like the music (i don't really) it's incredibly dark and layered and just so well directed/performed. Glover is a genius.

Mark Williams' twitter is worth a read

https://twitter.com/markwil147
Dude deserves it, still gutted though especially when John one 5 in a row to take it to 15-15 when i had already accepted Mark had won