Opinions needed on Christopher Nolan films

Tools    

If I had a steak, I would f**k it!
So, lately I've been getting into Christopher Nolan. I watched the Batman movies awhile ago, and saw The Prestige and Inception for the first time recently. I also went and saw Interstellar in the theater.

So, now I'm looking at his three other popular movies.

1. Following
2. Memento
3. Insomnia

If you have seen any of these three movies, can you tell me what you thought, whether they're worth the watch, and how they compare with his others?

i've only watched Inception and the trilogy of Batman and i liked both.

Insomnia is a cool little thriller, but Memento is like a milestone in cinema. Probably Nolan's most important film. It's a hard film to follow and very unique one, but if you like it the first time you see it I recommend giving it a 2nd watch as well. It gets even better when viewed more than once.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
If you liked what you saw already, then yeah, you should definitely watch those three. I much prefer all three of those to Inception and two out of three of the Batman movies. Following is OK. It's the weakest of the three, but you might as well watch it so you will have watched everything.

Following is impressive for a $6000 budget, it's not something I very much like though.

If you liked what you saw already, then yeah, you should definitely watch those three. I much prefer all three of those to Inception and two out of three of the Batman movies. Following is OK. It's the weakest of the three, but you might as well watch it so you will have watched everything.
Wich of the trilogy of Batman do you prefer?

Insomnia is a cool little thriller, but Memento is like a milestone in cinema. Probably Nolan's most important film. It's a hard film to follow and very unique one, but if you like it the first time you see it I recommend giving it a 2nd watch as well. It gets even better when viewed more than once.
Really? I feel like Memento loses something after you know how all the puzzle pieces fall together. One of my major criticisms with him has always been that his films don't have a huge rewatch factor. There are a couple of exceptions in there, but I feel films like Memento and Inception lose a whole lot once they are figured out. Not that Inception held much the first time around for me.

Wich of the trilogy of Batman do you prefer?
The one with Heath Ledger. Because of Heath Ledger. He made that movie so much better than it would have been with out him.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Insomnia
+
Memento

Batman Begins

The Prestige

The Dark Knight

Inception
-
The Dark Knight Rises
--

Really? I feel like Memento loses something after you know how all the puzzle pieces fall together. One of my major criticisms with him has always been that his films don't have a huge rewatch factor. There are a couple of exceptions in there, but I feel films like Memento and Inception lose a whole lot once they are figured out. Not that Inception held much the first time around for me.
I totally disagree.

Yes of course it looses that a little bit "wow" feeling you had the first time around. But that's just like with twist endings. If the movie is good you can easily watch it again even with stuff like that.
But if you think that a film is not good when watched more than once because it has that "surprise factor"-style to it, which isn't worth it the second time in your opinion, then the movie can't be that good in it self really... Or maybe it is, but you just don't appreciate much of it, except for the style or that specific element. Not saying that's you but just talking in general here.

I feel like that's like saying Se7en isn't great when you know the killer or that Fight Club and The Usual Suspects both suck and can't be seen twice when you are aware of the twist.

I totally disagree.

Yes of course it looses that a little bit "wow" feeling you had the first time around. But that's just like with twist endings. If the movie is good you can easily watch it again even with stuff like that.
But if you think that a film is not good when watched more than once because it has that "surprise factor"-style to it, which isn't worth it the second time in your opinion, then the movie can't be that good in it self really... Or maybe it is, but you just don't appreciate much of it, except for the style or that specific element. Not saying that's you but just talking in general here.

I feel like that's like saying Se7en isn't great when you know the killer or that Fight Club and The Usual Suspects both suck and can't be seen twice when you are aware of the twist.
It's not knowing what happens in the movie that I find that Nolan's movies lack repeated viewing value. It's that his movies lack those things that makes me want to watch a movie repeatedly.

Movies that I want to watch over and over are movies that are full of moments that I want to relive, characters that I love and want to revisit or that I emotionally connect to and want to feel that connection again. It makes no difference to me that I know who died or who the killer is.

Memento is acted well. It's constructed extremely well. I like the movie. I just think it's a movie that is never going to be as good as it was the first time as I feel about most of his movies. They just feel a bit empty to me.

Nolan has interesting ideas and he's great at construction. The idea of the movie makes me want to see it and the way it is put together makes me interested (most of the time) as to how it's going to all work out. It's like a drawing that has a great outline but no one payed attention to the details.

I wish he had interesting dialogue, complex characters, emotional connection something that made him more than a conceptual director to me. Sure some of his movies have examples of each of those but as a whole, I find him a little bland.

I may sound a little more harsh than I mean to because I think his strengths are really strong, but I get just about everything I'm going to get out of a Nolan movie first time around.

Memento is a great movie. Insomnia is a solid thriller. Following is a decent low-budget debut. Personally, if I was in your position, I'd watch Following first, and then Memento next because they show his abrupt maturation. But definitely see Insomnia too. It does have Al Pacino and features a creepy performance from Robin Williams.

Master of My Domain
Watch Memento and Insomnia but Following is pretty lame.
Following was the kind of 'low' movie in between great films that a lot of good directors have.