Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Machine Girl (2008) - 5/10. Another mindless splatter flick. I gave Tokyo Gore Police a try a few weeks ago, so thought of watching this one too. Although the action scenes are better choreographed, it's not that good. Well neither is the other one to begin with. This one just lacks the style. It's kinda something like put your brains to the side and watch it. The charm of blood being sprayed like a fountain does wear off pretty quickly. After that it's all fluff.

Donnie Darko -

Think I might actually prefer Southland Tales.
I've never seen Southland Tales but tomorrow MUBI are doing a live stream for it with Richard Kelly involved too. Not sure how it's going to work exactly, but it sounds fun.

@hell_storm2004 - you gonna give Vampire Girl vs Frankenstein Girl and Hard Revenge, Milly (both short and feature vsn) a go as well (if you haven't already)? I prefer both of those to either Tokyo Gore Police or Machine Girl but fair to say all of them are no more than fun in places and can get quite tedious imo.

@hell_storm2004 - you gonna give Vampire Girl vs Frankenstein Girl and Hard Revenge, Milly (both short and feature vsn) a go as well (if you haven't already)? I prefer both of those to either Tokyo Gore Police or Machine Girl but fair to say all of them are no more than fun in places and can get quite tedious imo.
Thanks for the mention. I will. Give me a few weeks break!!!

I actually like Tokyo Gore Police quite a bit. It's positively weird and twisted (the amputee with swords, whole self-harm as a fashion, etc.). Machine Girl wasn't nearly as good. I don't remember if I've seen the two others you mention.

Thanks for the mention. I will. Give me a few weeks break!!!
A break is understandble

I actually like Tokyo Gore Police quite a bit. It's positively weird and twisted (the amputee with swords, whole self-harm as a fashion, etc.). Machine Girl wasn't nearly as good. I don't remember if I've seen the two others you mention.
I'm the other way and slightly preferred Machine Girl over TGP. Of the other two I prefer the short Hard Revenge, Milly over VG vs FG and the feature vsn of Milly which for me didn't really add that much.

I mean if you put a gun to my head I would pick TGP, not because it's any better, the girl is hotter. That is all it boils down to for me!!! It's a toss up between the two. If you look at the IMDB rating they are both 5.9. TGP has a little bit more panache, if you can call it that, with the weird character design and all. But Machine Girl fight sequences are done a bit better.

Welcome to the human race...
I've never seen Southland Tales but tomorrow MUBI are doing a live stream for it with Richard Kelly involved too. Not sure how it's going to work exactly, but it sounds fun.
I saw it when it hit DVD and thought that it was OK - at the very least not the utterly atrocious dumpster fire that the initial reactions had led me to expect. Can't deny it's a hot mess, but I consider it part of its charm as Kelly was allowed to really go hog-wild in terms of casting and set-pieces in a way that he couldn't with Darko (which is saying something). I did notice it had just hit MUBI, but nothing about a live stream with Kelly - I'll probably settle for watching it as is.

What a fun movie. Brian has a bit of an issue. A parasite named Aylmer (pronounced Elmer) has latched onto him and is basting his brain with an addictive hallucinogen. All Brian has to do is make sure Aylmer has access to brains (human preferably) which is what he feeds on and Aylmer will continue giving Brian his fix. So what you get is a gloriously, gory story about codependency. I watched the last 45 minutes of this with a huge grin. It's funny, uncomfortable body horror, corny fx which work really well and buckets of blood. Loved the scene where a guy gets on the NYC subway with a wicker basket, padlocked shut, sees Brian and leaves. Even Basket Case ain't playing with Brian. One scene that had me rolling was the withdrawal scene. Aylmer, the turdy looking parasite that speaks, is taunting Brian non stop and a hallucinating Brian pulls something out of his ear which led to a fountain of gore spraying from his head. Basic explanation, much funnier when you see it. Outstanding!

Tommy Boy (1995)

This one aged much better than Billy Madison, and it's a shame we didn't get to see what Chris Farley's career might have turned out to be. There are a couple cringe elements that were typical of 90's movies, but the laughter carries throughout this one, mostly due to Farley's mere charm and presence.

Winchester '73 (1950)

I wasn't that impressed when I watched this a few years ago. Maybe I was high or I just wasn't that into westerns at the time. It's almost like a movie with interconnected stories as we follow the very desirable gun in the title as it changes hands several times. Great job by the cast especially Jimmy Stewart, Dan Duryea, and Shelley Winters. A contender for my westerns list.

Account terminated on request
Tommy Boy (1995)

This one aged much better than Billy Madison, and it's a shame we didn't get to see what Chris Farley's career might have turned out to be. There are a couple cringe elements that were typical of 90's movies, but the laughter carries throughout this one, mostly due to Farley's mere charm and presence.
Farley said once that he had to work on "not being the zaniest one in the room" (or words to that effect). When I used to watch him, all I could think of was "heart attack".

The man was dead-stop / 90 mph / dead-top / 90 mph / dead-stop.......
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Machine Girl (2008) - 5/10
What a shame. Try Mutant Girls Squad and my favourite Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl. Here's a sneak peak:

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.