Have you got a gun/would you kill someone?

Tools    

While I think its pretty ridiculous that a well known widely accepted category of weapons that is acknowledged in name by the manufacturers, by the sellers, by the military and by scores of gun experts and which is cited as such in dozens of books on guns, doesn’t exist technically
That's not remotely what I'm saying. I'm saying assault rifles (meaning automatic weapons) are already illegal, not that they don't exist.

Im willing to give you the benefit of the doubt on the slippery slope argument you are making. But if that’s the case, then by the logic of that argument we cant have ANY restrictions on ANY type of weapon. Right? Because a gun is a gun is a gun. Do you agree with that?
I do not. Some guns fire continuously, like machine guns. Those are meaningfully different and, appropriately, already illegal.

You don’t think a weapon that’s by design better at killing while mobile, easier to control and aim and that delivers ammunition in a way that’s more damaging then most guns isnt more effective at killing?
When did we establish that the AR-15 is "better at killing while mobile" or "easier to control and aim" and "delivers ammunition in a way that's more damaging than most guns"?

The AR-15 is a semiautomatic. That means you pull the trigger once, and one bullet comes out, the same as in a plain old glock. A glock, for reference, is more or less exactly what probably pops into your head when you hear the word "handgun."

Again, the answer cant possibly be just "all or nothing" because we already have "something" built into our laws AND our Constitution. So why cant we simply adjust that "something" if we have been ok with "something" since at least the 30's? Unless of course you are actually for full out anything goes. But if you arent, if you are ok with banning fully automatic weapons and grenade launchers and bazookas etc., than how can you rule out one more weapon distinction based on the fact that it could lead to a ban of ALL guns?
Because nobody, despite decades of political activism, has provided an effective definition that doesn't do that.

But let me step back here. You guys have been peppering me with MY concepts of what would be the best course of action to deal with mass shootings.
I don't think I have. I'm simply saying you should probably have a basic understanding of the thing you want to restrict.

How about you guys give me YOUR take on what could/should be done exactly that you think could help the situation in this country. You can limit your focus to JUST mass shootings if you wish since that was kind of what weve been focusing on here or you can tell me what it is you think should change with the current status quo in regards to the overall much larger issue of gun deaths in America. Is your response "nothing at all. Everything is fine" or do you envision certain actions that can be taken that seem reasonable to you?
I do have a few actions that seem reasonable to me, but they're more focused on people and improved enforcement of existing laws than restricting guns themselves. And I categorically reject the unstated assumption that, when we have a problem, the solution must be a legal one.

That said, I noted earlier in this thread that overall gun violence is down, which just kinda got skipped over:

They already have. Gun homicides are at something like a 20-year low. How many people--particularly people advocating new gun laws--know that?

A system of cells interlinked
UPDATE

Ok, so it took pretty much exactly two months from my application date at the police station for my permit to go through; I am picking it up at the police station later today.

Next up: I plan on using a "free range day" coupon I received when I took my safety course to go try out some pistols at the Massachusetts Firearms School range. Once I have run some rounds through a few pistols, I will begin the purchase process, which I believe takes another 30 days to clear from date of purchase.

Time elapsed so far since first class taken: Just under 3 months.

A system of cells interlinked
FINAL UPDATE

I've had this on the back burner for a couple of years now, and with all the craziness going on lately, my wife began asking me when I would purchase a firearm for home defense. So, I have completed the entire process at this point here in the state of Massachusetts. The actual purchase didn't take long, with the biggest challenge being actually finding a firearm to buy, as there was a big run on gun shops up here over the past couple of weeks. I ended up with a small 9mm handgun. The purchase process took about an hour all together, with a few forms to fill out, and instant background check by the shop, and a bit of waiting around outside, as the shop was following strict social distancing protocols.

So, just to summarize, here in MA, the big hurdle was the extended background audit by my town's law enforcement, which as I mentioned earlier in the thread, took quite a while to clear. All in all, I had the 4 hour safety course, the law enforcement audit, and an hour at the store as they cleared the purchase.