Ingmar Bergman's Persona - Possible Spoilers

Tools    

Great write-up, and for as much as I disliked the film I can certainly agree that it's a trip. I still don't think Bergman had any idea how to transmit his "message" to the audience, but who knows? Maybe I'll revisit Persona one day and love it, but I don't think that day will come for many years.

I rewatched Persona yesterday, and I must say I enjoyed the film much more the second time around. It seemed much more digestible (and dramatically interesting), and I felt like I was actually capable of examining the film rather than just being baffled by it. Ultimately, I think Persona is just about human interaction and Bergman's apparent belief in the difficulty of it (particularly when one is trying to transmit their artistic vision- in Elisabet's case, the stage). I'm still not sure on the meaning of the film's end, when Elisabet and Alma become one individual, but at the very least I would give Persona a
and I'll probably enjoy it more each time I view it. Hopefully this can spur some more discussion, I know a lot of people around here admire this movie quite a lot and I'd be interested to see everyone's take on it.

I watched Persona for the first time two days ago, and I'm still trying to take in what I saw. To give it an accurate rating after just one viewing is difficult as it's a film that demands repeat viewings, after which I'm assuming my interpretations would be different. But on first impressions I liked what I saw, even if I don't fully understand it yet, which then again may be the point.

The entire film looked great, from beautifully shot conversations to disturbing images that only flashed on screen for a second or two that have remained embedded in my mind.

Persona certainly left an impression on me, but what it all means and what Bergman was trying to say... well, I'm not quite sure yet. At first I thought Alma and Elisabet were the same person, but now I'm thinking that it's not as simple as that. I definitely need another viewing to properly discuss the film's intentions. Apart from the obvious references to cinema, I didn't pick up on any sort examination of the relationship between life and art as I've seen mentioned. Maybe it's just gone straight over my head, as I was trying comprehend what I was seeing.

A great film for sure, to be open to so much interpretation and to generate the need for it to be examined like it has. I'll look forward to my next viewing, which I'm sure will be an entirely new experience.

It was a hell of a lot better for me on second viewing- it's one of my favorite films of all time. I've written about it at some length in my Ingmar Bergman theread, but overall, I think the overarching theme is miscommunication. The difficulty of comprehending Persona parallels one of its major topics: the challenge an artist faces in transmitting their vision to the audience. Perhaps more universally, the film deals with the lack of communication between all people, stemming from the human tendency to hide parts of oneself from the rest of the world.

I do think Elisabet and Alma are the same person, but I don't know which of them is real. It's quite possible that Elisabet's silence represents Alma's desire to cut herself off from the world, but it's equally plausible that Alma represents Elisabet's desire to help people through her art (Alma is a nurse, after all, whose profession it is to heal people).

I appreciate this thread - Mark for starting it off with your description and analysis, and the people who have sporadically added to it over the years.

I just watched Persona for the first time. Maybe it's too soon after viewing to respond to it; then again, perhaps a gut response is most appropriate. Just as Alma ultimately takes Elisabet's silence as a provocation, and in turn tries to provoke Elisabet into speaking, maybe that's what Bergman is trying to provoke from the audience - a gut response.

I won't further try to guess what Bergman is trying to get across. The film is such a sparse canvas, with minimalist sets, almost like the sets in a black box theater, with practically no score, and one character - or perhaps one-half of a character - who does pretty much all the talking. And on this canvas we can legitimately paint whatever interpretations we wish.

Persona is Greek for 'mask' and the film - in a mere 79 minutes - succeeds in peeling off all kinds of masks and uncovering various layers of the human psyche. The Greeks wore masks when performing in the theater, and the silence of Elisabet, who is an actress, begins the process of taking off the masks, of disposing with our convenient personalities.

At first, Alma seems content with her apparently simple life, but Elisabet's silence quickly acts as a bright mirror that burns through this surface appearance, and once Alma - unused to being listened to - gets a chance to unwind, she quickly unravels.

It seems as legitimate to view Alma and Elisabet as one person as two separate characters. For me, this is one of the films's main reminders - we barely have to scratch the surface to reveal that we are inseparable. That, a la Jung, there is a collective consciousness. How do we, individually or, more importantly collectively, cope with horrifying images such as the famous photo from the Warsaw ghetto of Jews being led to their deaths, and the footage of the self-immolation of the Vietnamese monk? Silence? Insanity? Do we dare peel back the masks of these images and reflect upon their reality?

To me, the film is an existential scream, plunging headlong through the camera's lens to try to reveal some essence - any essence - that lies beneath, or in between, the intricate layers of representation that exist in our minds.

In a final act of taking off the mask, Bergman boldly exposes himself and his camera crew in the last scene - much as if the Wizard of Oz had voluntarily come out from behind the curtain - as if to say, 'It's all right there in front of you, if you care to look.' This is reminiscent of the stories about the first thing ancients would do upon attaining enlightenment: they would laugh at the absurdity that what they had been 'seeking' for so long was right there in front of them, inside of them - inside of all of us - all along.

Aside from everything else, it's simply a delight to watch two such beautiful women, excellent actresses, in the hands of such a masterful director and cinematographer.

I'm gonna resurrect this because I had a thought.

WARNING: spoilers below
The movie is about realizing that we're not living in reality because we're afraid of it. The people who love Elisabet love her for her performances but know nothing about her, and she knows nothing about her fans. Realizing everyone puts on a facade, she must have been hurt, possibly for realizing she is just like them and that makes her insignificant. What great deeds has she done other than playing fictional people? Does it mater if she even speaks? Who is she in the end? How many fictional personas must she shed before she finds out who SHE is?

This could explain the wacko experimental opening scene, in which a boy, possibly the audience, is trying to make out who these two women are. This could also explain the film imagery of the opening and ending by saying we're all living a lie like the actors in a movie. And because of that we are all alike. We're not real to each other. I feel like a part of this is confirmed by Anna speaking about her relationship with Karl a half-hour into it and saying she might not have been real to him.