Harvey Weinstein Fired!!

Tools    

I feel like we're definitely at an impasse about whether or not this is okay to joke about. If anyone wants to elaborate or make their case more formally, go for it, but if we're at the "just contradict and snipe at each other" phase, eh, might as well move on.

Welcome to the human race...
My case is that the idea of framing prison rape as some kind of karmic punishment against convicted rapists can't help but carry the implication that rape can be acceptable under specific circumstances, which contradicts the notion that it's such a heinous crime against one's person that nobody (not even actual rapists) should ever have to suffer it.

Yeah, I think we're kinda trying to have it both ways, as a society. On one hand we get the psychological comfort of feeling like we have a humane prison system because we're technically just separating these dangerous people from society and, officially, nothing else. On the other hand, we get the retributive aspect of letting them do almost anything to each other.

If we think these people should literally be sentenced to rape, we should say that out loud. It shouldn't be done by looking the other way and letting it happen unofficially.

Or maybe it's the kind of thing that's serious enough that you can't just make a "mere comment" about it, especially not one that's a jokey warning with shades of victim-blaming.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Good grief, I made the old, overused comment about an alleged RAPIST - there it is out loud. I wasn't there on any of the alleged nights and days, have not read any of the affidavits, and felt so little of the comment I forgot about it and haven't even got a clue when I made it. I'm sure Harvey isn't crying into his pillow about a a line tossed into a thread on a forum by some old broad he'll never Know. Maybe I should just sit back and mind my Ps and Qs in future, much like the alleged young women and young men Harvey stood over to push his power and alleged sweet blue pill.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Harvey Weinstein's been fired?
More importantly, when did he be ome the victim and when did my comment make him one.

Or maybe it's the kind of thing that's serious enough that you can't just make a "mere comment" about it, especially not one that's a jokey warning with shades of victim-blaming.
Why do you think Harvey Weinstein's situation is so serious that no one should make a dropped soap joke about it?

It's not about his situation specifically, it's a general perspective on rape jokes that doesn't make exceptions even for people who "might deserve it".

Well, I personally hope Weinstein applies for a cushy job in the prison laundry, but has to 'audition' for it. And if he doesn't visit the prison casting couch, his movie, errr...I mean his prison career will consist of only low paying jobs cleaning toilets.

It's not about his situation specifically, it's a general perspective on rape jokes that doesn't make exceptions even for people who "might deserve it".
You're reading too much into, "dropped soap." Care to adress the point Yoda made?

Iro, just be honest. You wouldn't even know how to carry on a convo unless it involved debate and growing a tree from a seed. Your point has been tsken. I agree with you. However I believe you are, as usual, trolling ppl with a social justice front to be airtight with your internet confrontation habit.

Since I know I'm going to get questions about it, I'll just plainly state that Zotis received a one-day ban for a (since deleted) inappropriate comment.

People are free to carry on with discussions both about the joke issue, and people's debating style (though the latter might have to get its own thread if it continues), but I'd strongly advise everyone to try to take the temperature down a bit, and avoid personalizing the dispute when possible. Thank you.