Too Old to Die Young (2019) - series

Tools    

Is anyone watching this, or has watched it? It's a very dark series directed and co-written by Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive; The Neon Demon).

I've watched the first 3 of 10 episodes. It's rather Lynchian and off beat in tone and feel, with long spaces within all the dialogue, making it either interesting or boring, depending upon what the subject is.

The first episode was very absorbing, but the second was so boring that my tendency was to bail. But I had started watching because of John Hawkes being in the cast for 5 episodes, and he entered in the 3rd. I'm glad I waited because that episode got the drama nicely back on track.

The series star is Miles Teller, who plays a very different type character personality from what he has done previously-- to the point that it took me awhile to realize who it was.

I'm going to keep watching to see where it goes. The series has gotten a lot of praise, so it has the makings of a memorable production.

Unregistered User
Is anyone watching this, or has watched it? It's a very dark series directed and co-written by Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive; The Neon Demon).

I've watched the first 3 of 10 episodes. It's rather Lynchian and off beat in tone and feel, with long spaces within all the dialogue, making it either interesting or boring, depending upon what the subject is.

The first episode was very absorbing, but the second was so boring that my tendency was to bail. But I had started watching because of John Hawkes being in the cast for 5 episodes, and he entered in the 3rd. I'm glad I waited because that episode got the drama nicely back on track.

The series star is Miles Teller, who plays a very different type character personality from what he has done previously-- to the point that it took me awhile to realize who it was.

I'm going to keep watching to see where it goes. The series has gotten a lot of praise, so it has the makings of a memorable production.

One of the best mini series Ive watched in the last few years. My advice would be to stick with it because some of the upcoming episodes are borderline masterpieces, in particular episode 5. Looking forward to hearing what you think!

One of the best mini series Ive watched in the last few years. My advice would be to stick with it because some of the upcoming episodes are borderline masterpieces, in particular episode 5. Looking forward to hearing what you think!
'Preciate the encouragement. I've watched the first four, and liked them all except for #2. To me it really picked up when Hawke's character (Viggo) showed up in #3.

Evidently each episode is named after a tarot card name (The Devil, The Hanged Man, etc.). There is an interesting suggestion on IMDB: "It is possible that watching the series in the order of the Tarot card numbers (5, 7, 6, 9, 2, 3, 8, 1, 4, 10) will engage those who are exasperated by the pace of the existing sequence of the series." To me that would be confusing.

IMO the director Refn went a little overboard in the slow pacing, to where it wears thin, but it does add to the drama and style.

Cliff Martinez did the music score. Cliff and I were friends from the Beefheart days. He'd just started with The Red Hot Chili Peppers. The score is good, but some cues are a little overbearing or pretentious.

Look forward to seeing the rest of the series. Reportedly there was no intention to make a second series.

Unregistered User
'Preciate the encouragement. I've watched the first four, and liked them all except for #2. To me it really picked up when Hawke's character (Viggo) showed up in #3.

Evidently each episode is named after a tarot card name (The Devil, The Hanged Man, etc.). There is an interesting suggestion on IMDB: "It is possible that watching the series in the order of the Tarot card numbers (5, 7, 6, 9, 2, 3, 8, 1, 4, 10) will engage those who are exasperated by the pace of the existing sequence of the series." To me that would be confusing.

IMO the director Refn went a little overboard in the slow pacing, to where it wears thin, but it does add to the drama and style.

Cliff Martinez did the music score. Cliff and I were friends from the Beefheart days. He'd just started with The Red Hot Chili Peppers. The score is good, but some cues are a little overbearing or pretentious.

Look forward to seeing the rest of the series. Reportedly there was no intention to make a second series.

Yeah, no doubt its filmed with parts excrutiatingly slow. Being honest, It really didnt bother me at all here but I can see how it would bother some. Thats cool about you being friends with Martinez, I loved his score on Drive.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It used to be that only God forgave. Now even God does not forgive. Sad vivisection of the state of affairs from the darkest recesses of the human psyche and the most despicable places on Earth.

A Gesamtkunstwerk worthy of our times, including the fascist references it contains but which it also mocks. Winding Refn's confrontation with his own fetishes (incest/violence), as well as an extensive essay about them. Ruminations on the causes of violence, toxic/fragile masculinity, criticism of America, mythology and tarot, Bava and Jodorowsky... The only thing I missed was a manual on how to build an orgone energy accumulator!

The cinematography is mesmerizing with either a thick neon-orgonite smear or slow panning shots inexorably revealing what wasn't visible at first. One could complain about all the obvious explanations toward the end, but I get it. Refn is probably tired of being accused of making 'style and no substance films'. Yeah, I binge-watched the entire thing in one sitting back when it came out.

Brilliant first two episodes and then the series changes a little bit to please the normies, but by the end of Episode 8 every normie will get so gobsmacked right in their face that they won't get it together for another two episodes.

Some have accused Refn of masturbating over his own genius. If that's true, then I want to masturbate along with him.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Yeah, the photography is a chief plus for the series. I do get a little tired of his over use of the slow pan. But otherwise most of the cinematography is first rate.