Retirements

Tools    

Did The West Wing start this? I never remember hearing it before then.
Sean, I really don't know. Believe it or not, I never watched The West Wing. Just one of those shows that I never made time for, despite family members and several friends urging me to watch.

Only in the past couple of years have I seen POTUS in print, so it's fairly new to me, and still something I want to go away.

You forgot the "that's" I think you should leave this to the professionals like SFS.

Bill Clinton did this, too, although a lot of times during the speech, then as a punctuation. It never bothered me too much because people on Saturday Night Live were making fun of him all the time and I couldn't take it too seriously. But I sure noticed it.
Ah, now that makes sense. Blair and his cohorts treated him and his ways like the messiah, so that makes sense.

If I may temporarily keep it on a political slant, I've noticed that initializing the President of the United States to the shortened POTUS has reached an infestation point. I still sometimes have to stop and ask, "POTUS? What's that again?" And I'm fairly good at abbreviated phrases.
As someone has already said, I think The West Wing brought this into the lexicon (though like you I didn't watch it so don't know) but it also fits in with the new century's obssession with acronyns and abbreviation.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Allergies

I almost shut down at work yesterday...like deathly, fever of 103, horrid feeling. Growing up, I never had problems. Lo and behold, I suffer from adult onset allergies.

Lists.

Seriously, shove your lists up your butts. All your "Your-username-here's Top 50 films" or "Top 10 Fight Scenes" or "10 Reasons I can't Get a Date" lists need to die. Yes, I'm talking to all of you.

The only reason they exist is because people are too damn lazy to actually read an article anymore so sites like Buzzfeed make lists of lists of lists because they know the modern idiot only likes seeing things in 140 characters are less.

And, no, I don't think your ability to rank Citizen Kane and The Godfather is impressive. They're both great freaking movies!

Master of My Domain
The only reason they exist is because people are too damn lazy to actually read an article anymore so sites like Buzzfeed make lists of lists of lists because they know the modern idiot only likes seeing things in 140 characters are less.
So you're basically generalizing the majority of the MoFo community as 'modern idiots'. Wow.

The phrase "we need to have a grown up debate/discussion about..." Yes, we do, but it isn't going to happen because you'd have to exclude politicians and any interest groups as those are usually the people who are unable to do that.

Lists.

Seriously, shove your lists up your butts. All your "Your-username-here's Top 50 films" or "Top 10 Fight Scenes" or "10 Reasons I can't Get a Date" lists need to die. Yes, I'm talking to all of you.

And, no, I don't think your ability to rank Citizen Kane and The Godfather is impressive. They're both great freaking movies!
Ha, are you campaigning for the Most Controversial Mofie Award 2015....

So you're basically generalizing the majority of the MoFo community as 'modern idiots'. Wow.
Yes. Take that.

In all seriousness, I freaking hate lists. If it helps, you all at least put more than one sentence into your listed items...

Raise your hand if you read every single paragraph about every single listed item in a list thread.

Now raise your hand if you are being truthful and you only read the listed items that you are interested in and skim the rest.

Also, how the hell do you number rank wonderful things? I love, love, love Back to the Future, Die Hard, The Empire Strikes Back, and Raiders of the Lost Ark. If I were to make a list of my 'top fifty favorite movies of all time ever' those would be on there, but how in the unholy **** am I supposed to number rank them? They're all about as perfect as perfect can be in my eyes.

The whole thing is stupid and tedious.

Yes, shots fired.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Also, how the hell do you number rank wonderful things? I love, love, love Back to the Future, Die Hard, The Empire Strikes Back, and Raiders of the Lost Ark. If I were to make a list of my 'top fifty favorite movies of all time ever' those would be on there, but how in the unholy **** am I supposed to number rank them? They're all about as perfect as perfect can be in my eyes.

Yes, shots fired.

You can have a 50-way tie for first place, and number them 1, 1A, 1B, 1C, etc.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Lists.

Maybe people enjoy creating lists and enjoy ranking all there favourite movies, characters, or anything else they may come across. I like reading peoples lists and see what films they enjoy and read why they enjoy them. It gives me ideas of movies to watch seeing as they may have similar taste as me.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

Yes. Take that.

In all seriousness, I freaking hate lists. If it helps, you all at least put more than one sentence into your listed items...

Raise your hand if you read every single paragraph about every single listed item in a list thread.

Now raise your hand if you are being truthful and you only read the listed items that you are interested in and skim the rest.

Yes, shots fired.
I feel the same way.. .I posted this in the MoFo Chill Club

What are you talking about... I cant even make a top 25 list of films... because you cant compare a French film to an English film.. to a Danish film... nor a drama to an action to a horror... I would have to make top 10 list for every genre and every country... its too hard...

Here's what I think needs to be put on the shelf. Debates from people who don't do their research, state their speculations assertively while they're still processing them, and have no idea what they're even talking about.

I'm guilty of it too, and I'm trying not to do it. So yeah, I just think people should either not debate, or be willing to do research and not state their uncertainties so assertively.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I feel the same way.. .I posted this in the MoFo Chill Club

There's a big difference between not being able to create your own lists, versus complaining about other people posting their lists.

I don't like making my own lists because I find it nearly impossible to rank my favorites, but I love reading other people's lists.

This is what I was posting that in regards to... I dont see how someone can say one film is better than another as far as ranking them.. there is no way I can do that... they are all special in their own way..

If you're not interested in what movies other people like:

a) Why are you on a movie forum?

b) Is it really so hard to just not read those threads?
a) I love what others have to say about films. That's why I read reviews.

b) I don't.

Bouncing Brick, I haven't seen you at my review thread, stop by some time....I've never made a movie list either, so you can enjoy my reviews knowing I haven't rated them in order.