Good Evening: HitchFan's Top 50, 3rd Edition

→ in
Tools    

Yes North by Northwest, is one of the most entertaining films ever made, including from Hitchcocks filmography. Absolutely timeless

North by Northwest and A Clockwork Orange are excellant and probably both in my top 20 or 30 of all time.

Jaws is a really good film

I am really looking forward to watch The Third man, Virginia Wolf and Le Cercle Rouge !

I didn't really like Boogie Nights :S and i don't know why. I just didn't had a good time watching it.

for now i'm not really interested in Cassavetes or Altman it seem to weird for me, but i'm sure that later in my life i'll be interested.

Like I said earlier, I have seen embarrassingly little of classic European directors - Antonioni and Renoir included. I've heard a lot about La Regle du jeu but not much about L'avventura. Gotta check those out soon.

North by Northwest is brilliant.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
L'Avventura is a great movie and it's really beyond me why it was booed at Cannes. It was probably due to its originality, but the question is who was first: Hitchcock or Antonioni? A
movie to me.

After seeing absolutely breathtaking The Grand Illusion I'm looking forward to more Jean Renoir and The Rules of the Game looks like a good movie to continue my Renoir journey.

North by Northwest is a really impressive Hitchock film that probably inspired Bond movies and whole Spy genre. The auction scene made me laugh and it's a great achievement considering the fact rarely any film makes me giggle. It's not my favourite Hitchcock, but perhaps the most entertaining.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Not seen L'Avventura but you know that I loved North by Northwest, and I think I'm right in saying it was a film that you hadn't seen in ages until recently (this year) but you loved it when you watched it again. I watched The Rules of the Game recently too and I thought it was great too.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
North by Northwest has crawled into my top 10 of all time. It has a little of everything. It has the laughs. The witty banter. Probably the best film dialogue that I've ever witnessed. It has the mystery and the suspense to keep you on the edge of your seat. To me it really gives the total package. The film is over 50 years old but it doesn't feel that way at all. Plus a great cast led by the classic Cary Grant and the highly loved Eva Marie Saint.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Enjoying the read so far. Keep em' coming.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Here's something I wrote up here five years ago. The only difference now is that I don't need a reason to rewatch a film I didn't like previously.

Somebody reassure me that this makes total sense, even for an old fart. Let's say that you watched a world-renowned classic film. Let's say it's a foreign film from the era where most such foreign films were considered the Second Coming. (For all I care, "foreign" means "American" or "English-language" right now.) Let's say that you watched it and you just didn't "get it". It made you feel something along the lines of the Emperor's New Clothes. You tell people you didn't get it and you don't actually like it. What do you do? Do you move on to other films from a similar era and even by the same director, or do you just watch films you "believe" you have a stronger afinity for? For me, I try to watch as many films ASAP, but I agree that if I have a negative memory about a film, I tend to need a reason to rewatch it. Well today, I had Sarah as a reason to rewatch Antonioni's L'Avventura for the third time.

L'Avventura (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1960)

Rewatching L'Avventura takes me back in many ways. When I first watched this film, I loathed it. Maybe I was under the influence of a plot-driven Devil, but nevertheless, I had a difficult time even enjoying the photography and sound effects, one of my fave actresses (Monica Vitti), the maturity of the mystery, or the way the film actually fit into Italian cinema in 1960 (the year which also produced La Dolce Vita, Rocco and His Brothers, Two Women, etc.) Nowadays, I can see that the film isn't really experimental, and even though many still find it boring, it's certainly not that either. However, I still find it unsatisfactory. So, although 30 years ago I would have advised you to stay away from this film, now I recommend it as part of a well-rounded film education, especially one involving B&W photography and unique sound effects.

Something else which I've noticed recently concerning Antonioni is that he is David Lynch long before there was a film personality identified as David Lynch. All of Antonioni's films are mysteries open to interpretation. None of them are easy to understand, even with multiple viewings. They all contain visual, aural and acting motifs which enable some people to believe that they actually do make more sense to them than mere mortals, especially when put into a thematic context amongst ALL of Antonioni's films. To give you an example, in L'Avventura, one of the lead characters disappears at exactly the same time that the characters and the audience hear an outboard motorboat go by the island all the characters are vacationing at. However, after one or two characters mention the sound of the engine, everybody goes off looking for the missing woman and no one ever again mentions the "boat" motor again. Later on, what sounds like a helicopter to me, but sounds like another boat to a character, is heard, but once again no craft is ever seen and the comment about an engine never makes another appearance. However, the woman's lover and best friend become lovers, and it becomes clear immediately that it's a major mistake and maybe somebody is being possessed by a missing somebody. Then again, maybe a horned-dog man is just trying to score at every opportunity possible.

Ultimately, I find this film better than the third part of the "Loneliness" Trilogy. I have La Notte in my queue, but it's supposed to be a "Very Long Wait". I earlier wrote a review of L'Eclisse which I gave
, and that was also an improvement over the first time I saw that film. Antonioni is definitely a filmmaker who doesn't make simple films and most of his films improve (if only slightly) with repeated viewings. However, I won't swear that that's the case with Zabriskie Point!!

Nice review, Mark. I've never heard Lynch and Antonioni get compared to one another before but now that you mention it they do have a lot in common.

Daniel, you're right about North by Northwest. For a time I considered it the most "overrated" of Hitchcock's great films but after re-watching it earlier this year my opinion totally turned around. I still don't know why it didn't click for me more the first time.

Is there any film that better depicts the 60s? I can't say, because I wasn't around then, but it sure matches my image of the decade.
I think it represents about 7 months among a small set of young, middle/upper class Londoners. I wasn't there either, but it's certainly how the 60's likes to be remembered.

I think Jaws is just a decent flick. <predicts a fall of hate from honeykid and mark f>
You said it's decent and you didn't criticise it, so I don't really have any hate for you.

BTW, that last set is just awful for me.

Some great movies so far Hitch

for Jaws, A Clockwork Orange, The Third Man and North by Northwest. Wasn't a big fan of Boogie Nights, but it was about 5 or 6 years ago i saw it so it's long overdue a rewatch. Haven't seen the rest.

You said it's decent and you didn't criticise it, so I don't really have any hate for you.

Great presentation for a great list.

I still haven't seen Le Cercle Rouge but I've heard a lot about it. Blowup in my favourite film you listed.

When I saw new posts in this thread, I thought it's the new set of movies. HitchFan, don't disappoint us.

Sorry for the wait guys, but I've spent the past day or two doing some film-related soul searching and this list is about to get crazier than ever. You'll notice every film I've posted so far has gone down by one number ranking, so now it's more like a Top 51. The reason I've done this is because there's a film I saw recently (twice, actually) that I feel just has to be on the list. I realize this is pretty unorthodox, and anyone who has been following my posts in Movie Tab II can probably guess what it is, but I would not feel like this is an honest list of favorites if I were to exclude it. If you know what it is, don't spoil it! That being said, onto the next set...

#36: Short Cuts
Directed by Robert Altman

Like I said, I love ensemble dramas, and few are as ambitious as Altman's late-career masterpiece. A jazz-fueled, mosaic view of broken relationships, Short Cuts allows its loosely connected storylines to come together in a grand statement about how we all might be a lot happier if we tried to see things from another's point of view. At times funny and sad, this is among its director's most grandly epic and fully realized work.

#35: Blade Runner
Directed by Ridley Scott

One of the most intelligent and imaginative science fiction films I've ever seen, Ridley Scott's finest hour might be a great movie if it was just a visually stunning blend of sci-fi and film noir with a kickass Vangelis soundtrack. Fortunately, it's even more: a complex meditation on free will and what it truly means to be human. Undoubtedly a visionary piece of work.

#34: Cries and Whispers
Directed by Ingmar Bergman

As Bergman's most powerful film, this is by no means an easy watch, but it is a rewarding one. Rarely have I come across a movie where the director seems to have such complete, unwavering control over the proceedings; the camera glides and probes mercilessly in what is unquestionably the work of a grandmaster at the height of his powers. And for as painful as it is, Cries and Whispers is not a depressing film, either. It has one of my favorite endings of all time, a life-affirming realization that it is the good times we have with those who mean the most to us that really counts.