A Question of Moral Fiber

Tools    

I usually don't ask these kinds of questions on here but I felt it was necessary. So my best friend and I are part of a very close-knit group of friends and he recently broke up with this girl who is in our group. There doesn't seem to be any tension between them now (she kind of realizes the break-up was her fault) but lately things have started getting serious between my best friend and her best friend, who is also a member of our group. However, they've chosen to keep it a secret for awhile so it doesn't look like they've started going out immediately after the break up. Nonetheless, everyone in our group knows about this except for my best friend's ex. Meanwhile, my girlfriend, who isn't really a part of our group, heard that the ex's best friend is interested in my best friend but she doesn't know that it's mutual- although she did ask me to let her know if I find out. My best friend has asked me not to share this with anyone else, so my question is should I share it with my girlfriend? Hope this isn't too confusing, any help is much appreciated!

Also, as a side not, I think it's a pretty terrible idea that my best friend start dating his ex's best friend, for obvious reasons. Remember that these three people are all a part of our close-knit group and I'm afraid of the eventual ramifications it will have on all their friendships.

If your girlfriend is already onto the notion in general, your best friend should definitely agree to absolve you of your promise and just confirm it for her, so to speak.

He should also give you permission to turn this into a screenplay.

If you know you can COMPLETELY trust your girlfriend on not saying anything, you can inform her, as it wouldn't have any negative consequences for your best friend. It's still a big risk and if your girlfriend DOES talk, your best friend could be (rightfully) mad at you.

What I'm actually saying is: don't tell your girlfriend.

You could of course just ask your best friend if it's allright to tell your girlfriend too.

I usually don't ask these kinds of questions on here but I felt it was necessary. So my best friend and I are part of a very close-knit group of friends and he recently broke up with this girl who is in our group. There doesn't seem to be any tension between them now (she kind of realizes the break-up was her fault) but lately things have started getting serious between my best friend and her best friend, who is also a member of our group. However, they've chosen to keep it a secret for awhile so it doesn't look like they've started going out immediately after the break up. Nonetheless, everyone in our group knows about this except for my best friend's ex. Meanwhile, my girlfriend, who isn't really a part of our group, heard that the ex's best friend is interested in my best friend but she doesn't know that it's mutual- although she did ask me to let her know if I find out. My best friend has asked me not to share this with anyone else, so my question is should I share it with my girlfriend? Hope this isn't too confusing, any help is much appreciated!

Also, as a side not, I think it's a pretty terrible idea that my best friend start dating his ex's best friend, for obvious reasons. Remember that these three people are all a part of our close-knit group and I'm afraid of the eventual ramifications it will have on all their friendships.
I got confused, but I think I figured it out. You said "best friend" nine times here. Seven times in the first paragraph alone.

^Yeah, sorry about that After discussing this with the other people in our group, the consensus seems to be that having them go out is a completely bad idea. Do you think we should try to intervene in some way? If so, how? Also, I'm thinking that if their relationship does go public my girlfriend will wonder why I haven't told her anything about it. She'd realize I wasn't telling her everything I knew about it, seeing as I am his best friend.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I got confused, but I think I figured it out. You said "best friend" nine times here. Seven times in the first paragraph alone.
lol was just thinking that. Should have assigned Boy X or Girl Y etc.

To simplify things, I'll assign Last Year at Marienbad-esque titles to each of the major people involved:

My best friend: X
His ex-girlfriend: M
Her best friend: A

I think you should feel comfortable telling your girlfriend this, and discuss it with her sensibly etc. like you are trying to with us, if she wants to go out and say something then she knows that she could put you in trouble over sharing information, so I don't think she'd do anything stupid. Although the whole thing was a bit confusing, you should of done like Girl A, B etc.

But yeh it is probably a bad idea for your best friend to do what he did, but if I was him and if I liked the new girl more than I did first the ex, then I'd probably do the same, I don't think he'd be that concerned about what his ex thinks, although maybe he should if they are friends now, but then again if they are she shouldn't be that upset about it, I dunno, it's difficult to say in words

Well the ex and the new girl are best friends, and it's a very tight-knit group so it could stir up trouble for all of us. Something I forget to mention: before X dumped M, he was confiding with A about his problems in the relationship and she advised him to break up with her. M is not aware of this but if she was I think she would find this whole situation even more upsetting.

Semper Fooey
What a bunch of crap.

You tell your girlfriend I can't say anything and she will figure it out, but you haven't directly said anything. No matter how much she asks for a direct answer, you say I can't say anything.

You can't do anything about them wanting to see each other. It is none of your business. They are not doing anything wrong and for it causing problems in your group, if it isn't this, something else will come around and do it. So the group dynamic changes, that's life.

You tell your girlfriend I can't say anything and she will figure it out, but you haven't directly said anything. No matter how much she asks for a direct answer, you say I can't say anything.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. I've never told her that "I can't say anything". The extent of her knowledge on this situation right now is that A is interested in X, but she has no idea that it's mutual and that anything has happened between them. The last time she and I discussed this, that was the extent of my knowledge on it as well, but she asked me to tell her if I find anything out.

You don't see anything wrong with them going out? Personally, although she's a very close friend of mine, I think there are plenty of wrong things about what A has done here.

What a bunch of crap.

You can't do anything about them wanting to see each other. It is none of your business. They are not doing anything wrong and for it causing problems in your group, if it isn't this, something else will come around and do it. So the group dynamic changes, that's life.
Pretty much this. Let the wind blow.

Semper Fooey
I'm not sure what you mean by this. I've never told her that "I can't say anything". The extent of her knowledge on this situation right now is that A is interested in X, but she has no idea that it's mutual and that anything has happened between them. The last time she and I discussed this, that was the extent of my knowledge on it as well, but she asked me to tell her if I find anything out.

You don't see anything wrong with them going out? Personally, although she's a very close friend of mine, I think there are plenty of wrong things about what A has done here.
Then you don't say anything unless she brings it up.
What has A done? She is unattached and the guy is unattached.

Then you don't say anything unless she brings it up.

What has A done? She is unattached and the guy is unattached.
She convinced X to break up with M, her best friend, so that she could go out with him. Which they are going to do as soon as things "die down" between X and M, even though they're making it pretty obvious to everyone that something is going on.

That stuff happens, ask Sexy there's no problem with some drama.i'd just let it blow over and let your clique evolve in to something new, or not, maybe nothing will come out of it. But then again, I am known in my group, to give the worse advice. At this point people ask me something just so they know what not to do.

Semper Fooey
She convinced X to break up with M, her best friend, so that she could go out with him
I don't recall you mentioning that. But didn't you say the other girl knew her behavior was break up worthy and has accepted the relationship is over? There is nothing that can be done about it now. He has already ended the relationship. Just sit back and watch the fireworks. Listen to Donnie.