Game of Thrones, Season 5

Tools    

I am burdened with glorious purpose
WARNING: "Book Five, Season Six" spoilers below
I think because he will become a tree and we're just not where we need to be for all that cool stuff to happen.

Love Bran, too.

I'll make some wild predictions now. Keep in mind I've never read any of the books.

First up John Snow's heritage. He's the son of robert baratheon and eddard stark's sister. I say this because the red priestess tried to have sex with him, just like robert's other bastard. And just like stannis. The only guys she has made sexual advances toward are baratheon men, since it serves her blood magic. But really this guess is quite a long shot, since robert was convinced that the bastard was eddards

John snow is going to lead the free folk to the wall, but the first ranger is going to deny them entrance. The little kid that hates the wildlings is going to come to John snow's aid. John snow is going to have to kill his own men and take castle black.

Stannis will be convinced to burn his daughter by his wife, but little finger will deliver the boltons to stannis.

Sir Jorah plans to reveal to Dany that he is a slave and that slavery continues to exist in her city.

Dany is the hardest to predict for me, because she often makes very bad decisions.

Foster, it makes no sense for Jon to be Robert's son. If that had been so, Ned would have had no need to hide him away from Robert. Remember their conversation in the first season? He went along with Robert asking who the mother was? It just doesn't make sense.

Ned didn't even tell his wife that Jon wasn't his. Why? Because he knew he could tell NO ONE. Robert would have killed Jon. It was the ultimate betrayal. Robert loved Lyanna so much.

There are many other clues out there -- blue roses in the House of Undying in the books -- stories told of Rhaegar and Lyanna in the show just recently -- that make it pretty clear who Jon Snow really is.

As to M trying to have sex with Jon because of King's blood. Yep, that does make sense! Just different king (and not an usurper like Robert).

I hope you're right about Jon taking Castle Black, but I don't think so.

Like your other predictions!

Thanks, Yoda, for adding spoiler tags -- I got confused when I tried to do it a week ago on another post...

Foster, it makes no sense for Jon to be Robert's son. If that had been so, Ned would have had no need to hide him away from Robert. Remember their conversation in the first season? He went along with Robert asking who the mother was? It just doesn't make sense.
Yeah I do remember. thats why I wrote "But really this guess is quite a long shot, since robert was convinced that the bastard was eddards" [and not his own] I knew I was close!! felt like something was just a little bit off but I wanted to throw it out there anyway instead of keep the hunch to myself.

That's great that you agree (spoiler?) that I guessed his mother.
Quite a tricky one for someone that's never read the books, the show gives me little sense of the timeline of events.

I hope you're right about Jon taking Castle Black, but I don't think so.

Like your other predictions!
Thanks! I'm finally getting into this season so it's fun to try to see where it's all going. Traditionally the best episode of each season is #9 and that's what we're getting this sunday.

#9 is the red wedding in S3
#9 is the assault on castle black in S4

Seems like if Jon doesn't take castle black he has plenty of other options, they just aren't as dramatic. He can take the ships and sail further around. He can use one of the secret doorways at the other castle like Sam did when he took gilly and met brandon stark.

Or.. like that one dude from S1E1 who saw the white walkers and somehow ended up in the north. He claimed he should have gone back to the gate and warned them.. but instead.. somehow he bypassed the entire wall and went from the free lands to wintefell.

Foster, as for Jon's story, the question is whether the writers stick to the book or change it.

All I can say is that I will be very curious about the next two episodes. There is some fascinating stuff that might happen….

And I've said this before, I LOVE Jon Snow. Seriously, one of my favorite characters of all time. I am very nervous right now.

And I know about episodes 9 being so dramatic. After that battle in ep 8, what could be more dramatic?

It's more effective to have him as a targaryan.

I think I was wrong about that little kid though. It's going to be more dramatic if jon snow has to execute him with the rest of them.

Sorry, but… no. That was horrible. I honestly don't know how to feel.

I never liked Stannis. Never. He's always been a jerk. Now, he's an evil jerk.

Let's see, have Stannis and Ramsey kill each other. That would be nice.

Even Drogon can't erase that memory of Shireen screaming for her father.

I think Stannis has been an evil jerk the entire series. What he did to Shireen just proves the depth of his evil.

I really enjoyed the scenes in the arena and watching Dany's conflicting emotions. I wanted to like the scenes with Drogon, but I still just can't embrace fantasy like that unless it's in animated form. Toothless and Hiccup? I'm in! Drogon and Daenerys? Not so much.

Still I want Theon and the fat one to die!! Also I hope that by the time Arya is on season 6 she will be able to kill someone and start taking revenge. Although it's already coming Meryn f*cking Tryne, or whatever the f*ck his name was, is going to Braavos so kill him in the next episode plese. Also I have a question, the new episodes are every 1 month? Then someone knows when the next one is released? I hope Mr. George WW Martin hurry up making more books so they can keep making the series.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
I enjoyed this episode so much. This is the moment where I need to say: "books are books, show is show" but its really hard in case of Stannis... That was awesome scene, she was screaming for her father and mother, I hoped until the end Stannis is going to stop it. Even in the series I don't see him as being kind of guy to burn his daughter, I mean Ramsay never did something like this, Ramsay at least dose it to people he captures/dose not know etc, but burning your daughter alive? That is totally different level of sick and disturbing. I just didn't see it to be in his character, still, it was damn good scene.

Dany... That was also very interesting, I don't know what are they going to do with her next season, they are one chapter from being at same points as the books. For me it was not the dragon that made it great, its that moment of "oh ****, run run run, we are outnumbered". Overall, awesome.

Now, for my favorite scene, Doran Martell (my favorite book character besides Roose Bolton). Those scenes with him, Jaimie, and everyone else was ok, I enjoyed it, they didn't do justice to Dorne and Doran up to this episode, but I think they are picking up. Now the best scene for me in this episode? Moment when Elaria (was it her?) kisses Doran's ring, starts crying, and he is like "don't cry, it won't help you, we won't be doing this again, next time, heads, spikes, walls". The man is a genius, he knows he couldn't win war at the moment and he ain't fool to start it.

There is one thing why I think Stannis is idiot because of making this decision (in political sense). He already has problem of not getting North to support him, why? Because of his faith, because he is not from The North and because North is very loyal. By burning his daughter he made sure nobody in The North ever helps him, and if they do, then its just horrible writing. I mean, if we don't hear some of his man deserting because they lack food/wish to fight/being scared etc, I will also consider it bad writing. Even if he didn't burn his daughter it would be normal for men to desert in those conditions. Also, did Ramsay just burn all of they food, killing a lot of their horses? How are they supposed to siege Winterfell? "Castle that can be defended with skeleton army" and Boltons should have thousands of soldiers. How much food could Davos bring? Is he bringing Nights Watch? This is why I dislike certain changes, good thing they made few good ones (awesome ones) so I'm now comfortable with where majority of series is going. I almost forgot, Stannis just killed his only heir and he is not getting any younger.

By the way, episode ten is called "Mother's Mercy" ... I hope its her.

Sorry, but… no. That was horrible. I honestly don't know how to feel.

I never liked Stannis. Never. He's always been a jerk. Now, he's an evil jerk.
The funny thing is, I thought it was horrible, too...but partially because of the exact opposite reason: I've always kinda liked him (well, relatively speaking), so the inherent horror of the situation was multiplied by it being done by someone I was sorta rooting for.

Anyway, I'm genuinely shocked they did it. I saw the choice coming the moment they started giving him loving scenes with his daughter a handful of episodes ago, but right up until it happened I still thought he would turn back.

Up until now I've mostly disagreed with people who say the show wallows in the world's cruelty too much (now and then, sure, but by and large I find it in keeping with the theme). But this is probably the first time I've felt the same way.

For those who care, this is a bit of a character-based departure from the books. The Stannis of the books (and this is probably one of the reasons a lot of book readers like him) is a little less nakedly ambitious, and more bound by law and duty. He thinks he ought to be King because he simply has the right, and laws matter, whereas in the show he's a little more Gollum-y about the throne. This leads me to believe...

WARNING: "Spoilery speculation, some book details" spoilers below
...that he's probably going to die at the battle of Winterfell. The sacrifice didn't happen in the books, and because the showrunners have a basic sketch of what's going to happen, we can tell a lot about the books based on what they do or don't do. So if they thought it was okay to mess with Stannis' character this much, it must be because he's going to die (or not matter) before long, anyway. At least, that's the thinking.

So I'm through episode 4. Does anyone know if they pulled the scene with Sansa that had the internet up in arms? I thought it was this episode but maybe it's 5? If I missed it will someone fill me in.

Gutted.

I dont know what GRRM is planning, but after rejuvenating me last episode with the zombie hoarde siege he's lost all ground gained with this episode. The show itself has dipped for me, never thought that possible. Yeah, no funny pictures to post.

A system of cells interlinked
So wait - are people saying the quality of the show has dipped when something happens in the narrative they don't like, like a character's death?

That's crazy talk.

The Adventure Starts Here!
So I'm through episode 4. Does anyone know if they pulled the scene with Sansa that had the internet up in arms? I thought it was this episode but maybe it's 5? If I missed it will someone fill me in.
It's the same episode as the wedding, at the very end. I think it was the *concept* that had people up in arms, BTW, and not the actual scene itself as shot... if that helps.

So wait - are people saying the quality of the show has dipped when something happens in the narrative they don't like, like a character's death?

That's crazy talk.
No. Just sometimes material can go too far. Material can make sense, even seem sound, but when someones disgusted all that doesnt matter.

In this case they should NOT have gone for the dramatic impact, and revealed what happened to her after it was done. Just because those things happened in medieval times doesnt mean they need to show it, or it be ok for them to go there. What's next up on the pallet, child rape? Maybe some bestiality on Jon Snows wolf? WTF?!

Hasn't happened yet.

That's crazy talk.
Well, it depends, doesn't it? For example, if the character's death happens because someone else acted wildly out of character, that's a legitimate complaint. Or if the character's death seems likely to be pointless except for the momentary shock value.

That said, I agree with what I think you're saying here, which is that morally bad things happening is not the same thing as narratively bad things happening.