Directors Whose Movies You Like AND Dislike?

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, I'm definitely not averse to watching more Huston films - just a matter of opportunity more than anything else.

Boyle is another good pick - definitely more miss than hit.

The truth is in here
Daniel Espinosa: Not that I hate Life (I think it's pretty okay), but compared to the absolutely fantastic Easy Money, it's a pretty huge drop in quality. Sadly he seems to have been relegated to a director-for-hire now instead of someone with his own artistic visions and ideas.

Yorgos Lanthimos: I appreciated what Dogtooth tried to do , but at best it's a bizzarre experiment rather than an actually good movie. The Lobster I liked, but I thought the ending was just flippin' baffling.

Chris Columbus: He made the first two Home Alone, Mrs. Doubtfire, the first two Harry Potter movies... Then he suddenly made that Percy Jackson movie no one cared about, and then Pixels which was just... ugh.

J.J. Abrams: Star Wars! Yay! Super 8! It's decent. Star Trek Into Darkness! Uuuuuuh... not really?

Paul Marcus: After Alice was a pretty cool, obscure little gem. Break Up was just... bad. Why did they make Bridget Fonda deaf? Why didn't she call the police? Why is Kiefer playing a half-assed cop instead of the villain, which surely would have been much better than who they actually picked?

David R. Ellis: Snakes On A Plane was fun, and Final Destination 2 is my second favorite from the franchise. But what the HELL was he thinking with The Final Destination???

Garry Marshall: Frankie And Johnny - One of my favorite romantic comedies of all time, and just romance stories in general. Valentine's Day - DEAR GOD!

For me, I lost interest when he went from neo-realism to surrealism... How would you grade the movies you saw?
I'm not well watched on Fellini. I'd say: I Vitelloni 4/5, La Strada 4.5/5

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Danny Boyle. I really like some of his work. Especially Sunshine, 28 Days Later and Shallow Grave but I detest Slumdog Millionaire with every sinew of my body, and have no idea why anyone needed Transpotting 2.
I didn't know he made Slumdog... I remember it being ok, but Trainspotting 2 was a betrayal of the first one, which is great.

Kevin Smith: Love Clerks 1 & 2 as well as Mallrats, don't care for the rest
Krzysztof Kieslowski: Love Red and The Decalogue, don't care for The Double life of Veronique, White or Blue
Martin Scorsese: Love The Departed, Taxi Driver, Wolf of Wall Street, Shutter Island and Silence, not a fan of the rest and I've seen pretty much every film he made.
Werner Herzog: I love his documentaries, but don't really like his fiction films (except for Rescue Dawn)
Coen Brothers: I'm not their biggest fan, but I do like Big Lebowski, No Country for Old Men and Burn After Reading (because of Brad Pitt's hilarious performance), the rest not so much.
James Cameron: I really like The Abyss and Titanic, and hate the rest

James Cameron: I really like The Abyss and Titanic, and hate the rest
Me too. Cameron has got to hold the record for greatest movies vs lamest ones.

The greats
Titanic
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
The Abyss
Aliens
The Terminator

The lames
All the Avatar sequels

Jack Arnold: Creature From the Black Lagoon was one of the worst films I've ever seen, The Incredible Shrinking Man was great.
Jim Henson: Loved the Muppet Movie, couldn't care less about the Great Muppet Caper.
Robert Wise: West Side Story was good, The Haunting, not so much.
Keenen Ivory Wayans: Scary Movie has hilarious, Scary Movie 2 was most certainly not.
Robert Rodriguez: Sin City was good, Spy Kids 3&4 made me lose faith in humanity.
Martin Scorcese: Taxi Driver is a masterpiece, Goodfellas is eh.
Andrei Tarkovskiy: Andrei Rublev was great, Mirror was really not fun.

A list like this is too easy to make.
Any director can make Zombie Lake.
Oftentimes, someone like Spielberg will
Make a handful of mediocre films,
Never forgetting that deep in his mind
Are projects he wants to work on sometime,
Projects that, when viewed, will blow you away,
Because these are personal films. It's this way.

Just look at A Christmas Story to prove my case.
Bob Clark made several Porky's in its place
Before he could get the funding he required
To make the movie that we all admired.
I'll try not to be snide.

Danny Boyle. I really like some of his work. Especially Sunshine, 28 Days Later and Shallow Grave but I detest Slumdog Millionaire with every sinew of my body, and have no idea why anyone needed Transpotting 2.

The 2 Boyles I hated were 127 Hours and (to a much lesser extent) Slumdog. The former I hated so much. So, so much.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'm not well watched on Fellini. I'd say: I Vitelloni 4/5, La Strada 4.5/5
I only like those and "Nights of Cabiria" and depending when I watch it, La Dolce Vita... but that's about it - I couldn't make it through 20 minutes of a few other movies of his.

I only like those and "Nights of Cabiria" and depending when I watch it, La Dolce Vita... but that's about it - I couldn't make it through 20 minutes of a few other movies of his.
Both of those are high on my need-to-watch list. I know you think highly of Nights of Cabiria, so that's another reason I want to watch it. I just never seem to have time to watch all the films I want to watch!

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Have a very tumultuous relationship with David Fincher films. Loved seven and fight club. Thought The game was ridiculous. The girl was the dragon tattoo was a paper thin and dissapointing adaption of a great book and gone girl I found sickening. Some thing was very wrong with that movie that I...after several years...feel the need to watch it again because maybe it’s great...lol like at the time it make me sick that maybe I’m missing something and it’s really great ha ha..will have to rewatch.

Edit: I also love zodiac and the social network.

Alfred Hitchcock - hate his silents
John Ford - I liked The Searchers, The Hurricane, and The Lost Patrol everything else I just found middling.
Frank Capra - probably my strongest like to dislike ratio
Francis Ford Coppola - pretty sure that should be everyone's answer
Akira Kurosawa - I've only got three more to go Ikiru and High and Low are in my top fifty but it's a steady constant drop to the bottom after those.

Yeah, I'm hard-pressed to think of filmmakers where I do like every single film they've done (assuming that their worst film is still worth at least a 3/5). Edgar Wright might be the only one that fits and that's probably because he's only done a handful of films.

That is a lot tougher....

Billy Wilder
Stanley Kubrick
Henri-Georges Clouzot
Hal Ashby
Peter Weir
Wes Anderson
Christopher Nolan
Quentin Tarantino
Sam Mendes
Denis Villeneuve