Gary Oldman

Tools    

I feel that Gary Oldman is one of the BEST actors we have today...and is it only me or do you feel that he his underated? he doesn't get paid much for one, and he gets all the sideline roles...he looks like a damn good leading guy, whatcha think?
Well I think it's because the sideline roles are sometimes more interesting. Paul McGann made me laugh in an episode of Hornblower. I spent the whole story thinking he would turn out to be an Admiralty spy, sent to observe – or something even more. But no, he was just more interesting than the others!

Gary Oldman's one of my favourite actors and yes I think he probably is very underrated. He's played some cracking parts over the years. I was laughing at him in The Fifth Element last week. When they did the docudrama about the creation of Doctor Who I would really have liked him to play William Hartnell (I thought that as far back as Lost in Space actually), but it wasn't to be.

Originally Posted by ;3910
I feel that Gary Oldman is one of the BEST actors we have today...and is it only me or do you feel that he his underated? he doesn't get paid much for one, and he gets all the sideline roles...he looks like a damn good leading guy, whatcha think?
Oldman is amazing...for my money, cinema's second best chameleon, behind Jared Leto...this is a guy who transforms himself into unrecognizable form for every role he plays. He does it so convincingly that I'm not 100% sure what the guy actually looks like. I think he should have won an Oscar for Sid and Nancy.

For me his best roles:
Bad guy in Leon le professionel
Dracula in brams stoker s epic
Comissioner gordon in batman trilogy
Tinker taylor soldier spy

Dracula in brams stoker s epic
Tinker taylor soldier spy
These are the roles he should have got an Oscar for. I'd have said Dracula personally.

These are the roles he should have got an Oscar for. I'd have said Dracula personally.
I agree , but i personally fancy him as the bad buy in leon , he was down right sinister and threatening a perfect role

I agree , but i personally fancy him as the bad buy in leon , he was down right sinister and threatening a perfect role
Oh yeah he was excellent but with Dracula there was so much more to the character beyond that aspect alone. And Smiley is like a masterclass in character acting.

Oh yeah he was excellent but with Dracula there was so much more to the character beyond that aspect alone. And Smiley is like a masterclass in character acting.
Yup he was superb indeed

Yup he was superb indeed
I particularly liked listening to his thoughts about how he approached Smiley. The thing about the character "assuming the temperature of the room he was in" and also the allusion to his being like the spider at the centre of a web. So there's that knock on the door and he just inclines his head to one side softly, like "I'll get it later".

I particularly liked listening to his thoughts about how he approached Smiley. The thing about the character "assuming the temperature of the room he was in" and also the allusion to his being like the spider at the centre of a web. So there's that knock on the door and he just inclines his head to one side softly, like "I'll get it later".
Like the way u noticed this , yes i totally agree, its the character he portrays he does it uniquely

Like the way u noticed this , yes i totally agree, its the character he portrays he does it uniquely
Well to be fair, I saw him talking about making those choices in particular scenes. Colin Firth using a shark as inspiration is probably more obvious but he's never going to beat Lena Headey in Dredd.

This might just do nobody any good.
I’m particularly fond of how that certain something in Gary’s eyes comes into play for Smiley. There’s always been some hint of malice he can never shake off (which hurt his performance as Jim Gordon, imo), but it’s totally apt there. Beneath the thick glasses you can see someone ruthless and it suddenly makes sense why he, more than the other elders of The Circus, who have earned Control’s trust. The only outward show of that confidence is probably the bit where he’s grilling Esterhase and the plane gets closer and closer and closer and he never once turns to look.

I also liked the detail of setting his glasses right next to himself in bed. He sleeps completely still!