Best Irish Films

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Pearse was a nutcase and a bit of a weirdo, if you ask me. Excellent movie potential, then!

Just because he was socially inept in the presence of women, had visions of himself as a Cu Chulainn and Fionn MacCuail character, and on numerous occasions through his poetry had allegations upon himself as being a paedophile (erroneous assumption on his mild nature and literary ideology) that doesnt make him a nutcase and a weirdo.

If a biopic was made of him, who do you think they would cast as Pearse?

I'd say Ewan McGregor, but he'd need to brush up a bit more on his Irish accent if his turn in Angels and Demons is anything to go by.

Incidentally, big Neeson has oft mentioned playing Ian Paisley if a biopic were ever to emerge. He's a bit too handsome but, as a Ballymena man of a certain height, I think he'd be perfect.

Michael Collins and Big Ian in one career.

Thats quite the contrast indeed if he did play Paisley!!

Ewan McGregor is actually a good choice. The similairties are quite close. His Irish accent needs a brushing up on and his knowledge of Gaeilge needs to be top notch too!

I have a friend who looks very similar to Pearse and his Irish is top quality (even if its Donegal Irish!!)- He could be Pearse! -might need to brush up on his acting ability!!

The more I think about it, it's a screenplay waiting to happen -

Hard line fundamentalist seen by many as driving many Catholics into the hands of The Provos (and thus prolonging the conflict that he was blaming Republicans solely for by a good 20 years) turned kindly(ish) conciliatory Grandfather of Ulster who finally took the broad Christian line of 'love thy neighbour' before being dethroned in a coup d'etat by colleagues who believed he was selling out his grass roots support.

Or, if I've got me cynical head on -

Career politician who used the church he founded to agitate the populace for 40 years before doing a 180 degree shift on his political philosophy when he finally saw a chance to grasp the reins of power, before being dethroned in a coup d'etat etc etc...

I'm calling it: Once Upon A Time In Aghohill.

Thought people might be interested in this piece by Jason Solomon from todays Observer. Something to look forward to

Here come the Pat Pack
Irish actor Brendan Gleeson was full of pre-St Patrick's Day cheer when I met him in London last week. The star of In Bruges, Harry Potter and The General is about to start work on his directing debut, an adaptation of Flann O'Brien's novel At Swim-Two-Birds, for which he has also written the screenplay. The film will star Gleeson himself, Cillian Murphy and Gabriel Byrne, all of whom also appear in Irish crime caper Perrier's Bounty, released later this week. They'll be joined by Colin Farrell among many others, including Gleeson's son Domhnall. In Dublin, they're proudly dubbing it "the Pat Pack". Gleeson has been working on O'Brien's 1939 story for years, a tale of a young drunk playwright who thinks he sees his characters coming to life. "The nerve of me," says Brendan. "It's one of the classics, a mad, mayhem book and I've been trying to get it done for six years. It's going to be a big one. There's massive pressure but it's where I live and I love what's at the heart of it, so I can't wait to get on with it." I wonder, of the many directors he's worked with, who he thinks he might direct like? "Ha," he says: "Like nobody on earth, that's for sure." Filming is due to begin in Ireland in September. As Cillian Murphy told me: "It's a real tribute to Brendan – he'll be a fantastic director and he's got so much goodwill behind him that all these people want to drop everything to work with him on such challenging material. It's chaotic stuff, but Brendan will bring it to life."

Reminded of this sound tape when Frank Cottrell Boyce (screenwriter:Millions, 24 Hour Party People, Cock and Bull Story etc) had it as one of his records on Desert Island Discs last Sunday. It's from some 1960s recordings of children relating bible stories. The producer put up a link to this little animated film which is really dinky.

My favorite list are : --
The Celts
Waking Ned Devine
Butchers boy
The Quiet man
Only the Lone

'the book of kells' which was up for an oscar this year. also 'the snapper'. 'in bruges' is another

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Well, I watched part of The Van last week and laughed my ass off, so don't forget about that one when you mention The Commitments and The Snapper.