The MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Amelie is a cute movie. Overrated, but it seems all newer foreign movies are overrated because the masses would rather die than watch a black-and-white movie..
Disney 'princess movies' are cute movies. Amelie was a fresh take by a very charismatic and personable actress. It charmed me and that counts for something in my book.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The masses didn’t populate this list, mofo did. The masses aren’t even going to watch Amelie, but mofo will. This list is proof positive that mofos wouldn’t rather die than watch black and white.

I hope when I comment about movies I don’t care for I never come across as a gatekeeper of some kind of true taste.

Maybe you just have a problem with reading?

The trick is not minding
That doesn’t answer the question and now I wonder if my mom is spying on me on mofo. That would rock.
Make sure you brush your teeth before you go to bed.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Amélie is a gorgeous souffle of a romantic comedy, overflowing with visual and verbal humor as well as a fair share of surrealism. Some might find it too dense for something so light, but it's definitely able to produce non-stop smiles. If you don't understand French, you'll have to watch the beginning three or four times to even understand what's going on. That's how fast the editing, narration and dialogue are moving.

The Passion of Joan of Arc is a unique, almost-religious experience of a film which seems to place the viewer in the eyes of both Joan and her inquisitors. Falconetti is incomparable.

I watched it for the first time at the Segerstrom Center For the Arts, and it had an orchestral accompaniment and a live performance of Voices of Light by Anonymous 4 and others. It was on our wedding anniversary. Composer Richard Einhorn was interviewed by critic Charles Champlin beforehand. We sat about ten rows back from the stage, and they lowered a viewing screen from the rafters. It was really quite unique.

It looked something like this:

But it was at this venue:

I adored Amelie when it came out. I've seen it 5 or 6 times since (at least) and I've adored it each of those times too. Like, CR, I found it utterly charming with a wonderful central performance and great use of music. I usually couldn't give a monkeys about soundtracks, so when I do find one which works so well with its film, it usually makes a big impression on me. It's on my 100 and so would've probably been top 10 for me on my list.

Ran is the exception which proves the rule. That rule being that if the first thing someone says about a film is that 'the battle/fight scenes are amazing.' I can usually disregard it. However, while it may be the first thing which comes to mind, it won't be the last. Obviously the story is fantastic but the whole thing is a real tour de force of cinema.

Not seen The Passion Of Joan Of Arc or Cinema Paradiso.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Also I'm kind of surprised I didn't have Day off Wrath on my list. I think that may have been an oversight
I'm feeling kind of guilty about not including it on my list, but there were only 25 slots and too many movies.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
You sure you don't want to watch Nightbeast instead?
Actually, I've already watched it alone. Not a bad bad movie.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Not a fan of either of today's movies. As far as Dreyer, Ordet was a contender for my ballot but I don't care about any of his other films I've seen.

If I had voted for a Dreyer film, it would have been Day of Wrath.

Day of Wrath seemed to have pretty one-sided characters, but they worked very well for the story.