Best Documentary about Directors/Actors/Movies

Tools    

Not too high brow, but Best Worst Movie is a fun one. More about the remembrance of making, and susbsequent cult following, of Troll 2 than the director himself, although Claudio Fragrasso's delusion is a highlight.

Watched this last night, and was very impressed. Trejo himself is a fascinating study, and his story and fame is what made the documentary.

TBH I wasn't too impressed with the actual production itself. I shouldn't be too critical about that because I couldn't do something 1/10th as good as what Brett Harvey and Scott Dodds have done.

Since Trejo is a recovered alcoholic & addict, as well as a reformed criminal, it would have been more powerful to have somehow cinematized that. Naturally there is no footage of him wasted, or of performing robberies, but somehow the visual impact of that life should be shown.

Nevertheless it was an absorbing film, and had personal meaning for me. Trejo is certainly a great inspiration to people --especially young ones-- who are exposed to that danger and temptation, or who are locked in those clutches.

~Doc

I understand completely what you say about the production values. There wasn't a lot of imagination applied to this film, but the subject was so fascinating you almost don't notice the "no frills" presentation.