Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Prince of Darkness

In the Mouth of Madness was the first Carpenter movie I had watched (not including Escape from NY as I was a kid when I watched it and I need to do it again). I enjoyed it and while exploring the director online I discovered that most of his movies are different and imaginative, so here we are with what is considered one of his worst.

Prince of Darkness is nothing but a bunch of cliches and bad development. Group of people that have almost no character are grouped up in a building (in this case church) to get butchered like sheep. Obviously there are hundreds of ideas of how they could easily escape, but well... It is a silly horror movie after all. To be honest it is not even scary, not at all. It bored me to death at certain points, whenever someone texts me during a movie I usually just reply we will talk later or something of that manner, but this time I texted left and right because Prince of Darkness did not manage to pull me in, not even in the slightest.

Dialog is wooden and predictable, simply unrealistic and so is the acting, there are three actors that do well, others are either bad or not in the movie enough to show how bad they are. The premise itself is decant, what if religion is just a science we do not understand, that sounds interesting, but they never touch on it deeply, devil is a fluid, church made us wait until we are capable of understanding and that's it. There is nothing special about this one sadly and I barely made it to the end. There are other Carpenter movies I will be watching (They Live, The Thing...) and hopefully they will impress.

Verdict: 3/10

Unregistered User
Originally Posted by the samoan lawyer

Yeah, if you're a fan of MEW (nice, eh?), when you watch the first episode you'll have a new appreciation of the song, "Baby Got Back." And she swears it's really her.

Series 3, episode 1?

Unregistered User
I was trying to think of another good Winstead role, aside from Fargo or Cloverfield, but came up blank*. That’s a real shame, she’s got talent.

I kind of want her to work with The Coens for real. I’ve been thinking you could revive the sort of films Billy Wilder or Howard Hawks did in the 50s with modern sensibilities and Joel & Ethan would be atop my list to do it. MEW would kill it at the vocal gymnastics they indulge in.

Greta Gerwig and Tessa Thompson could do it too.

*I know Scott Pilgrim’s got defenders but I’m just not fond of that one at all and the lack of chemistry between her and Cera sort of kills the movie.

She puts in a good performance in Smashed. Watched it recently, pretty decent.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
This is Not A Film is a documentary Panahi co-directed about his time under house arrest. It's his only actual documentary, Taxi and Closed Curtain are Docufiction.

I'm going to watch it myself soon too, might watch one of his pre ban films first though.
I'm looking forward to see Your thoughts

Unregistered User

The Babysitter (2017)

When the twist happened it originally wasn't to my liking but it still played out quite well. Pacing was good, score good and overall, an easy and entertaining watch

Better Call Saul (2015)

Skyway (Lewis D. Collins, 1933)
+
Never really soars to any heights

Ghost World (2001)

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Wolf Warrior II (Wu Jing, 2017) - This action packed sequel is the highest grossing film in China's box office history. Wu Jing, who also directed and co-wrote the film, returns as the heroic Leng Feng, who has been exiled to Africa after being court martial and serving jail time, has learned his girlfriend is presumed dead with a bullet seen at the same. There, he offers to help the Chinese ambassador transport a doctor who may have found a cure to a potentially fatal virus to safety as the area he is in now has become a war zone. There, Leng learns the doctor is about to die and he must take care of doc's daughter with help from his assistant. The rebel forces have teamed up with mercenaries led by Frank Grillo's "Big Daddy".

The action sequences are so much better this time around with the Russo Brothers (yes THOSE brothers) not only helping by having Grillo cast as the villain but bring the Marvel Studios stunt team led by Sam Hargrave as co-action director with Hong Kong's Jack Wong Wai-Leung with the likes of Marvel stunt doubles Aaron Toney and Heidi Moneymaker as fellow mercenaries along with former WWE superstar Oleg "Vladimir Kozlov" Prudius. The action looks like a Marvel movie only replace the superheroes with Wu Jing's Leng and two fellow Chinese ex-pats in Africa, one ex-military and the other a wannabe military officer. Even the final fight between Wu and Grillo is quite a watch but what starts it is a one-take underwater fight scene that is mindblowing to watch!

Final Rating: A

Stalag 17 (Billy Wilder, 1953)

Quite the captivating tale

Wolf Warrior II (Wu Jing, 2017) - This action packed sequel is the highest grossing film in China's box office history. Wu Jing, who also directed and co-wrote the film, returns as the heroic Leng Feng, who has been exiled to Africa after being court martial and serving jail time, has learned his girlfriend is presumed dead with a bullet seen at the same. There, he offers to help the Chinese ambassador transport a doctor who may have found a cure to a potentially fatal virus to safety as the area he is in now has become a war zone. There, Leng learns the doctor is about to die and he must take care of doc's daughter with help from his assistant. The rebel forces have teamed up with mercenaries led by Frank Grillo's "Big Daddy".

The action sequences are so much better this time around with the Russo Brothers (yes THOSE brothers) not only helping by having Grillo cast as the villain but bring the Marvel Studios stunt team led by Sam Hargrave as co-action director with Hong Kong's Jack Wong Wai-Leung with the likes of Marvel stunt doubles Aaron Toney and Heidi Moneymaker as fellow mercenaries along with former WWE superstar Oleg "Vladimir Kozlov" Prudius. The action looks like a Marvel movie only replace the superheroes with Wu Jing's Leng and two fellow Chinese ex-pats in Africa, one ex-military and the other a wannabe military officer. Even the final fight between Wu and Grillo is quite a watch but what starts it is a one-take underwater fight scene that is mindblowing to watch!

Final Rating: A
I am Chinese, but really? Is this a movie that should be rated A???

Coco

Maybe my expectation was too high, the movie didn't 'get me' emotionally as much as other previous Pixar animations after watching it for the very first time. So I did a second viewing on the very next day, my experience slightly improved.

Overall this is a very well made animation, and it seems like it would be the best animation of the year. But I feel like this is a little overrated for the time being right now.

The Shape of Water

Overall I enjoyed this movie. The score and Sally Hawkins's performance was a nice treat. I'd say this movie is on par with Pan's Labyrinth.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

OMG Frances McDormand is a real contender for the Best Actress next year (since I haven't seen Ladybird yet). This movie is funny, thought-provoking, and sad at the same time. It has a similar style as Fargo.

The score is simply spectacular, and the supporting cast is very strong as well, especially Sam Rockwell & Woody Harrelson.

Strongly Recommend!

Originally Posted by the samoan lawyer
Series 3, episode 1?
Yes indeed. It's a bathtub scene and it's after Ewen McGregor is out of the tub and someone else comes into the room (don't want to spoil who) and she rises from the water like Venus without her half-shell.