Eyes Wide Shut: Masterpiece or Blunder

→ in
Tools    

Dang, I lost track of this argument. Sorry.

Directors aren't actors. Robert Zemeckis is still doing the same thing he did with Back to the Future: Hollywood popcorn movies with happy endings. I don't reject his films on that basis, and you shouldn't reject Kubrick for the same reasons.
What the? Um, his last two films, What Lies Beneath, and Cast Away, did not finish with what I would call "happy" endings.

BLUNDER!

Female assassin extraordinaire.
there he goes, another drive by cineshooting ...

"it was part of the art of cinema to figure out the meaning for yourself. "

I agree. Director's can tell if they want, but they're job is to show so well they don't need to and it's the audience's job to experience that director's art to the fullest and hopefully glean that meaning with nothing but the film and it's parts to take them there. Works, ironically (compared to your arguments) just like a book. Just like any work of art.

Of course, there is a huge margin for error, but in film, it is not error. It becomes the fluidity that makes the very work of art itself even more complex and beautiful. It's like the director hands us ... what, a crystal ball, a mirror, whatever. Each person who looks into it will see something different. They may see things similar to what others see (hence, most people going to see Rush Hour will think it funny) but others won't (hence the others who found it offensive). Doesn't matter what they see. Doesn't matter how they got there. What matters is that they're looking, and the thing that they are looking at. It's a 1-1 relationship. It's a world of connection and possibility. It's a limbo of ideas that happens with all art that I love, and that's why I love movies, becuase it's so visual, sensual, it's a world that sucks you in in ways a sculpture or a painting has never done for me.

the film ...

I totally agree about the visuals. Beautiful. Lush. However, I found the film itself bland. I don't know if Cruise was actually giving us any true display of "acting." And there was such a lutter lack of chemistry between him and his wife that I came out surprised by how unerotic the film was. Not to say I expected the film to arouse me. I expected the film to show me sensual things that would reveal the characters to me, make me feel and see and explore and comprehend. This did not happen. Perhaps it's because I'm a jaded sensualist and Kubrick's idea of exploring the wants and desires of a married couple entirely ... how shall I put it ... dry. Nothing new was shown to me. Nothing shocking at all really. I suppose it might shock mainstream viewers but I sat there and pretty much ... I wasn't bored. It was unmoved. Things felt soft focus and for me, without depth, without connection, without emotion. I felt very little emotion at all and truly, cared VERY little for the characters.

And I can only blame that on the director because I went in there wanting to be moved. Everyone was talking smack about the film and how awful and long it was and how shocking this or that and I said - a film meant just for me. Let's go see what it's all about. And I sat down and got nothing that pushed any boundaries, unravelled any mysteries, tangled any preconceived notions.

This was why I found it a blunder. I really think Kubrick was so caught up in his presentation that he failed miserably on the content. I'm not talking plot or such. I'm talking ... like biting into the most perfect apple you'll ever see and finding it's mushy and tastes like water. Like you guys said, unhappy endings do not make masterpieces. Neither do gorgeous set pieces, soft focus, and lush cinematography.

This was one of the worst films ever; anyone who liked it deserves to be shot.

Ah, what wonderfully ridiculous hyperbole!

I guess I'll have to wear my Kevlar around you, M-zie, 'cause I LOVE Eyes Wide Shut. I thought it was the best movie of the year.

But to each their own, huh?

Now With Moveable Parts
This movie spent so much time developing the first half of the movie,that when the ball starrted rolling and the viewer starts getting interested,you totally get let down at the end.The last line was a joke..."F***".That's pretty much the way I left the movie too..."F***".

I rented Eyes Wide Shut when it first came out on video w/ my ex-gf, and we stopped watching it 45 minutes into the film at her request (I kinda thought it was going nowhere also...)...

Anyway, I finally saw the film in it's entirety around 4 months ago..and I must say that the ending was horrible...

They kept leading up to, and leading up to something....and then ... the ending...horrible.

Although I'm a big fan of some of Kubrick's earlier films (Shining, Full Metal Jacket), I have to add this one next to 2001 as being boring and overated

...Kubrick... hum... i like his style... 2001 is a very long and boring film,and very profound. well... most of his films are profound. 2001, there is a misterious ending, where the oldman died,and there is a shoot of baby in the space, and then the film ends. What exactly is that?.. you own interpretation... i like the fact that kubrick's films make you get involved, make you think a bit, not just pure entertainment. i like "2001."
...Eyes wide shut... the title is eyes wide shut.. does it mean that there is a lot of scenes that make your eyes wide shut?... hum.. very interesting title...hum...haven't seen it completely. ..

kihio: My understand (from what I've heard) is that in the actual story, the man became a "Star Child." apparently in the book he sort of waved his hand and destroyed the missle-related sattelites...he was reborn as a new, powerful being to help us along, the same way the obelisk helped out out supposed primate ancestors. In the movie, for whatever reason, they just showed you a baby.

That's not very nice TWTCommish, mocking someone's disability.

Shame on you.

Originally posted by bigvalbowski
That's not very nice TWTCommish, mocking someone's disability.

Shame on you.
Um, I've got absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Tom
TWT:.. i heard something like that too.. but different people have differ. interpretations....about any Kubrick's film. His film is very profound,deep. make your brain to follow it and track on it. make you think. Really, in Eyes wide shut i wish that orgy place really exist... i found that his films are more like expressionism,. . . i have no problems with. it. but sometime , they are not for general audience, Entertainment. ..
i started to see some foreign films. French, Iran, China, Italy...Most of people are programed with American Hollywood type of film... isolated..

( NOTE) TOM And KIHIO are using same Computer, Previous REPLY by Tom was ACTually By Kihio. ......

TWT:.. i heard something like that too.. but different people have differ. interpretations....about any Kubrick's film. His film is very profound,deep. make your brain to follow it and track on it. make you think. Really, in Eyes wide shut i wish that orgy place really exist... i found that his films are more like expressionism,. . . i have no problems with. it. but sometime , they are not for general audience, Entertainment. ..
i started to see some foreign films. French, Iran, China, Italy...Most of people are programed with American Hollywood type of film... isolated..

This film was simply put about the sexual relationship between a husband and a wife. I forget where Kubrick got the idea from, but it was from some European book and im assuming that it was the same author that gave the idea for "The Luzchien Defense" (sorry for horrible spelling). I thought that "Eyes Wide Shut" was brilliant and completely misunderstood by most people much like 2001 was. It just explored the envy and jealousy between a married couple so well. Even if the fantasies that the signigicant other is jealous of are just fantasies it doesn't matter because it still makes them feel jealous and in a way inadequate as a partner. Tom Cruise was just on his own fanciful trip of sex throughout the entire movie to pretty much get back at his wife, and then when he was finished with it he realized that it was completely un-neccessary and it only caused troubles. The ending is perfect, so I dont know what everybody is talking about. They just needed a good f**k to get over everything and get back into the normal swing of things. It could also be used to tell eachother that all they really need is eachother. God I loved this film not only for its brilliant story, but also for the cinematography. God I wish all films were as bright and vibrantly colored as this one. Like I said in the beginning, I believe that it's going to take time for this film to be fully appreciated by critics and fans alike (not meant to sound stuck-up).

I love Eyes Wide Shut too, but this is one of those movies that will remain misunderstood forever, including the ending. Oh, well.

The novella upon which EWS is based is Dream Story (Traumnovella) by Arthur Schnitzler, first published in Germany in 1926. If you get the paperback edition of the Kubrick/Frederick Raphael screenplay, it includes Dream Story in full (Warner Books, ISBN#0446676322).

But Schnitzler had nothing to do with The Luzhin Defense. That film is based on the novel by Vladimir Nabokov. Nabokov's most famous and infamous work is Lolita, which of course was turned into a movie by Kubrick in 1962 starring James Mason and Peter Sellers (Nabokov, who died in 1977, also penned that screenplay).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

That's right thanks for correcting me on that matter. It was Nabokov! Thanks I was freakin out dude. The movie was so skillfully made and was just so delicately handled that I don't understand how anybody can not like it. By the way that was a very thorough response, much respect.

I thought 2001 was brilliant, because I love to think and I loved to just watch in awe with that film. Once you get beyond the fact that this film is not a quote unquote "story", but a tale of visual poetry, and you must "read between the lines", if you will, you'll finish watching it with different views. It's open to interpretation. Personally, I really enjoyed it. It made me think.

Holden??
I'd like to hear your views, oddly enough.

See, that's the thing, though: the actual book wasn't all open to interpretation. The baby has a purpose. I don't think Kubrick was doing that to let you come up with a million possible endings, as much as he was just leaving a gap, for whatever reason (I sure don't understand it). I mean, in all honesty, let's realize that taking a story, and poorly adapting it somehow for the big screen so that people don't understand the ending, as they did with the book, isn't necessary something deep and powerful, or artistic...it could just be a poor adaption, you know.

I read an interesting document awhile back that talked about the movie and the underlying meaning...which actually had it all wrong. Yes, it is interesting to see what meanings people come up with...but then again, I dunno if it's such a great thing when it's not your story in the first place. I'm not much of a fan of movies that do not remain at least fairly true to the books...unless they have some viable reason for it.

You also gotta take into cosideration the fact that they guy who wrote the book also wrote the screenplay, before the book, wasn't it?

Which ultimately leaves us in a more baffling situation, my only answer is that the is the author's own interpretation of what the film shows us. Either way, I don't care. I really liked "2001".

To each his own kettle of fish.

Kettle of fish? Hehe...hadn't heard that one. Anyway, it IS kind of amusing to hear of all the different theories, when the real meaning is sort of something that I doubt anyone would guess. Call me crazy, but I dislike movies that build up to a big ending and then leave you guessing. Sometimes I like it when a movie leaves things sort of open ("Final Destination," for example)...but when a movie is obviously leading up to a big ending, I expect to have my questions answered. One of the reasons I hated "The Ninth Gate."