all you need is love.

Tools    

There's a fascinating program on The Science Channel right now about the psychology of astronauts. Seems attachment to things - as simple as a penny - is natural to human beings. Astronauts on board a spacecraft for months, in a very cramped area, maybe only 2-4 astronauts living there - can become very possessive of the objects around them, I learned. They name their coffee mugs, a pair of scissors, a pencil - you name it. And they're not buying CDs and DVDs and yadda yadda yadda. So, object love is disturbingly normal. Look at animals -- Opie and Clayboy, my dogs, love their balls (NO, not those!) and chew toys. They didn't buy them. And remember Cast Away? Tom Hanks and "Wilson", the lovable, huggable, kickable soccer ball.

And why are we limiting possessions to just CDs and DVDs? What about body modifications? Do we really need tattoos, piercings, big muscles, breast implants, facelifts, collagen implants, and even haircuts? Why own a toilet when you can pee in the woods? Why sleep on a bed when there's grass and leaves? Why buy food when you can go out and kill the cow (or Anna Nicole Smith)? What about these things?!

You wanna travel around the world? WALK! Make a spear out of stone so you can kill food instead of stopping in at McDonalds, put on some fur (but beware of fur activists!), and good luck swimming the oceans! Don't pay for a plane ticket! Coach is just as bad as first class! Get your feet on the street - and walk the whole damn earth!

Lets put a smile on that block
AMEN! (Choir boy smilee)
*Puts on shoes and walks out of house at 2.30 in the morning in boxershorts and rummages in garden for long stick before walking down the road to sleep in neighbours front garden*

Originally Posted by MinionTV

"You can't always get what you want"

How can we be happy? I'm not the type of person to just settle down and join the line......

oh well.
Love has to come from inside, accept yourself for who you are, the good and the bad, work on the bad, be fair to yourself, and love and Happiness will come to you, it happened to me.

Possessions are ok they are a bonus to life not life.

Originally posted by MinionTV
ok dad, I'll think about that one.
Ouch. Look, all I'm saying is that you're being a whiny little bitch. You act like the way you feel isn't your fault. It is. So shut up.

Originally Posted by Steve
Ouch. Look, all I'm saying is that you're being a whiny little bitch. You act like the way you feel isn't your fault. It is. So shut up.
Tough love from the Stevemeister.

I See You When You're Sleeping

"ouch"

I actually intended for people to talk about their possessions and what they mean to them. Maybe this idea got clouded by the fact I gave my own input...

anyway let's settle this over some juice and make friends, ok?

"ouch"

I actually intended for people to talk about their possessions and what they mean to them. Maybe this idea got clouded by the fact I gave my own input...

anyway let's settle this over some juice and make friends, ok?

No way, is that what the baby has been drinking.

there's a frog in my snake oil
"ouch"

My 'puter, my music, the stuff on/attached to my computer that helps me make my films, my drumkit (all my christmas day/birthday presents in one for the last seven years or so), my books, memorabilia (and my experiences - do they count?), and the best "possessions" of all, my friends (not sure if they count either, but they're going in under things-i've-got-attached-to )

Still, some people are arguing a slightly strange either-or angle of: we've gotta have possessions - and identifying with them is natural and positive for the most part, so what's the prob? (but Sexy did it with style so he gets "forgiven" o'course ) Nebs put the most balanced view i reckon. I can't rely on myself to do the same, so i'll just say: hail to the nebbie, balancer of our mental bank-accounts!

Yeah, you said: Why do we spend all our money on this CRAP? Do we need it? Yes/No or maybe?

Totally different question. I hope you never host a beauty pageant - the girls would suffer over the question & answer competition!

well, um, err, ok then..

Why do we spend all our money on this CRAP? Do we need it? Yes/No or maybe?

BANNED
Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity
There's a fascinating program on The Science Channel right now about the psychology of astronauts. Seems attachment to things - as simple as a penny - is natural to human beings. Astronauts on board a spacecraft for months, in a very cramped area, maybe only 2-4 astronauts living there - can become very possessive of the objects around them, I learned. They name their coffee mugs, a pair of scissors, a pencil - you name it. And they're not buying CDs and DVDs and yadda yadda yadda. So, object love is disturbingly normal. Look at animals -- Opie and Clayboy, my dogs, love their balls (NO, not those!) and chew toys. They didn't buy them. And remember Cast Away? Tom Hanks and "Wilson", the lovable, huggable, kickable soccer ball.

And why are we limiting possessions to just CDs and DVDs? What about body modifications? Do we really need tattoos, piercings, big muscles, breast implants, facelifts, collagen implants, and even haircuts? Why own a toilet when you can pee in the woods? Why sleep on a bed when there's grass and leaves? Why buy food when you can go out and kill the cow (or Anna Nicole Smith)? What about these things?!

You wanna travel around the world? WALK! Make a spear out of stone so you can kill food instead of stopping in at McDonalds, put on some fur (but beware of fur activists!), and good luck swimming the oceans! Don't pay for a plane ticket! Coach is just as bad as first class! Get your feet on the street - and walk the whole damn earth!
You're taking it to an extreme. No one denies the value of modern conveniences and the necessity of worldly posessions. However, there are two sides to the equation--two extremes that are possible. I guess, I'm arguing for striking a balance. From personal experience, I find the clutter of urban civilization claustrophobic and psychologically cramping, which is when I long for the open vistas of the untouched countryside or the open sea--which is why I have recently started jogging along the Embarcadero in SF--very refreshing to be out by the open sea. But, on the other hand, I wouldn't want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere--any more than I would want to be stranded in the middle of downtown Las Vegas (another sort of wasteland). So, I guess, I'm aspiring for the golden mean.

No, we don't need it.
Picture yourself dieing. You're in a hospital bed with a tube sticking out of your neck and a young nurse is emptying out your bed pan trying to hide the look of disgust.
Knowing your life is at its end, are you going to remember a f*cking Lord of the Rings action figure?

No. You won't. You'll remember a collage of sh*tty moments flavoured up with an occasional good one. For every dollar you spend on an action figure and for every minute you spend watching LOTR you are draining the possibility of obtaining another good moment that is worth living for.

Originally Posted by BEAR
No, we don't need it.
Picture yourself dieing. You're in a hospital bed with a tube sticking out of your neck and a young nurse is emptying out your bed pan trying to hide the look of disgust.
Knowing your life is at its end, are you going to remember a f*cking Lord of the Rings action figure?

No. You won't. You'll remember a collage of sh*tty moments flavoured up with an occasional good one. For every dollar you spend on an action figure and for every minute you spend watching LOTR you are draining the possibility of obtaining another good moment that is worth living for.

You seem to know a lot about his mental pysche. Could you possibly crack into the memory centers of his brain to get me his Social Security number?

Originally Posted by BEAR
Thanks BEAR, that's a fecking great answer.

possessions/materialism vs love ?

so whats the answer? honestly, someone please tell me.
whats love like? every time i think ive figured it, all ive figured is that its not love, but something else. More like a possession/attachment as opposed to a deep seeded feeling.

Motivated by the notion that if you can just find love, you'll be sorted, the hunt begins. Where can you find love, and how do you get it? You do all the things you think will find you love, and sure enough, you find it, but it aint love, its just a counterfeit, forged by your own anxiety and unrest.

This is not love, and so i cant qualify whether all we need is love, can anyone else?

Originally Posted by csido
possessions/materialism vs love ?

someone please tell me. whats love like?

Motivated by the notion that if you can just find love, you'll be sorted,
Well love to me is Respect, Trust, Friendship, and passion. The more I am with my Husband the more I like, respect, Him. Love sometimes I think it can be confused for Lust, this is where the problems start. Real love starts out as lust but changes to other deeper things.

Love will not ever fix your problems, you must feel happy with yourself and your life and Love is an added bonus.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I dunno...Love comes and goes, but man, my original pressing of Lou Reed's "Transformer" album on vinyl, that lasts forever.

maybe I'm just a cynic though.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/