Best Movie Soundtracks

Tools    

There's not too many good movie soundtracks but i mostly like soundtracks of rap movies and those with new music. Because I don't see the use for cd's with old songs that i've heard a million times before.

- Murder was the case
- Above the rim
- Juice
- Boyz in the hood
- New jersey drive
- Grease
agreed on Above the Rim, although Tupac's Pain, and two other tracks weren't on the CD but only available on cassett tapes.

Movie Forums Critic
Titanic
The wedding singer
When a man loves a woman
City of angels
Jurassic park

Moulin Rouge
Amadeus (especially the Requiem)
28 Days Later
Little Miss Sunshine
True Romance
Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels

just a few from the top of my head

I don't see the use for cd's with old songs that i've heard a million times before.

Yes but it is the "playlist" that the filmmaker(s) twine together to give you a flavor or a "feeling" ,if you will, of the movie. Empire Records, or High Fidelity for example have a wonderful "flavor" of music and although I own most of the songs from both movies on CD, both have a a great combination. When I buy I sound track I buy it for two things, one is music of course, but next is the atmosphere/mood it puts me in, if I am not thinking about the movie in question then it is not a good soundtrack, IMHO anyway.

I believe 300 has among the best movie soundtracks of all time. Maybe that or just that the movie was so good that the scenes chiseled emotions that I felt while watching the movie that I somehow relive every time I hear one of its soundtracks. One of my favorite tracks is FEVER DREAM. Awesome workout music also. I somehow think of myself as Spartan and keep going.

I loved Memoirs of A Geisha Soundtrack.
Along with House of Wax...

xXx

Welcome to the human race...
My pick is for two reasons - a) because I'm a Heads fan, and b) because it hasn't been mentioned yet. I may put up more later.

Stop Making Sense
(Jonathon Demme, 1984)

The first 20-30 minutes uses the gimmick of all nine members of the band showing up on stage (starting with David Byrne's guitar-and-boombox reworking of Psycho Killer that actually sounds better than the original bass version), before crescendoing into a mix of both Speaking in Tongues numbers (such as Burning Down the House, Swamp and Girlfriend is Better) and classic hits (Life During Wartime, Once in a Lifetime and their cover of Take Me To The River). It all bristles with Heads's trademark nervous energy, made incredibly vibrant by live experimenting and tweaking that, for the most part, greatly improves on the studio versions. And this movie proves that David Byrne makes for one of the most engaging frontmen in music history.

Certifiably troglodytic.
Some that immediately surface:
  • Urban Cowboy- As a kid, I hated listening to the LP 956 billion times; I hated the cowboy hat and boots my folks made me and my sister wear while on their UCowboy-induced "Western" kick...but now, (though I'm not a bona fide country fan) the songs and movie simmer in a strange, nostalgic stew- especially when I hear Johnny Lee's "Lookin' For Love"
  • 28 Days Later- Especially Brian Eno's "An Ending"...arguably one of the best ambient songs ever
  • War of the Worlds (2005)- I know I am exposing myself as a WOW junkie, but, admission is the first step....."The Intersection Scene," in standard Williams fashion, is to me, the best musical adornment of the introduction of a sci-fi character (the tripod) in a scene to come along in quite some time...it captures the gravitas of the moment and the image and succinctly portends what's to come much like the hammered drones and trills of the famous Jaws bit
  • Empire Strikes Back- the best installment of the series...and the best intro theme ("Fanfare") of all time (Superman comes close)......"Imperial March" ranks up there too
  • Cosmos- I know....not a movie, per se, but a dang good soundtrack to Sagan's early 80's PBS special (Sagan=Contact, so there)

I am half agony, half hope.
Shallow Hal

Pride and Prejudice

Love Actually

Charlie's Angels

Johann von Goethe

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm guessing this was posted already, but my fave movie soundtrack is Ennio Morricone's Days of Heaven. I love the whole thing, from the orchestrated themes to the seemingly-period, incidental music. It just makes me feel alive and adds immensely to the power of the movie.

It depends on context. Despite the not-as-good-as-it-could-have-been nature of Van Helsing, I find that music particularly well-done for listening to on its own. As for music with a movie, Lord of the Rings destroys all, hands-down. It may not be the best for istening to on its own, but listening to it with a Nazgul bearing down on the Gondor Knights or with a pitched battle between Gandalf and the Balrog is amazing.

~Gabriel~

Easy Rider-The Bryds Ballad Of Easy Rider song is literally amazing
Silent Running-Joan Baez puts together a fantastic array of music
The Graduate-Paul Simon is an genius. And the voices of Simon & Garfunkel are fantastic together. Also the Jefferson Airplanes early Come Up The Years is great.

Hell yes. Lot of great soundtracks came out of the 60's and 70's.

Enter The Dragon
Vampyros Lesbos
Harold and Maude
Zabriskie Point
Looking For Mr. Goodbar
Jesus Christ Superstar
Fritz The Cat

Off the top of my head.

The Spawn soundtrack was pretty awesome with each song featuring two different artists collaborating

Matrix had a good mix of techno and rock

Collateral is one of my favorite soundtracks ever

Here is the list in my opinion of the best soundtracks:

Terminator theme , less of a song though more music.
Armageddon – I don’t wanna miss a thing – Aerosmith

Last Of The Mohicans – I will find you, and full theme

Pearl Harbor – There you’ll be, Faith Hill
Titanic – Celine Dion, My heart will go on
Gladiator – Backing song ( don’t know what it’s called)
The Great Escape theme
The beach – all saints
Men In Black – Will Smith – men in black

A system of cells interlinked
  • 28 Days Later- Especially Brian Eno's "An Ending"...arguably one of the best ambient songs ever
Kudos for listing the FANTASTIC piece by Eno. I had to pop it on when I read this. Also find it during the end credits of Traffic.

Paprika. It's amazing electronic pop, with vocoders and everything.

For me, all musical adaptations like The Sound of Music, West Side Story, Grease, Evita, and many more.