A Debut Gig

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Lol...do you make films? You feel that in order to comment on someones work you have to be doing it yourself?

Actually, my short film is going into production later this summer. It's called August Heat, so ya, I am at least trying to make a film. I also play lead guitar, drums, keys, I sing, and I have multiple original tracks I have recorded and performed live with my old band, Serotonin. I can send ya one when I get home if ya like. One or two of them are actually pretty well written, in retrospect. I also work with a DJ crew in Boston, Changmian/Sonic Beating, which hosts monthly psytrance events on the Charles River, as well as various larger festivals in Boston, NYC, and Philly. I have played various instruments since 1976, when I got my first drum set at the age of 5. I give anyone credit for getting up on stage, and presenting their personal art to public discourse.

You can comment on whatever you want, there just isn't any clout or experience behind it, so it means very little to some of us, especially when presented with suck disdain...

A system of cells interlinked
To tell you the truth, I think I have only neg'ed you twice during your tenre here at Mofo. Today was one of them. It's obviously your call whether or not you like Mini's stuff, but, I thought you came down on him in a pretty mean way. Worth a red tick. Hit me for neg rep whenever you like, I know I deserve it from time to time...

I am having a nervous breakdance
Hi Mini... I like the new track a lot. It's very filmic. I would never say that it could use some vocals, but I don't know why I could almost here some kind of slide or e-bow there over the really nice guitar picking towards the end of it. Really high sound quality and, personally, I like the "monotony".

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I See You When You're Sleeping
Cheers Pid, interesting you should say that about the other guitar part. This isn't a finished track, we're still waiting for the other guitarist to add his parts so you're totally 'in' on what we're doing with it.

Thanks Mini I played your music while i was getting ready to go out I really liked the last song at your gig

there's a frog in my snake oil
No, I'm just not emotionally attached to the guy so I can tell the truth...I didn't realize only positive thoughts and comments were allowed on MF...:-/
**** geez, there's a difference between saying you don't like something and saying the equivilant of 'that is the worst thing in the world and it just caused me to evacuate my brain out of my arse'.

Saying you think Ste should give up music on top of that (apparently based just on listening to one work-in-progress song) is just so overblown it's nuts.

Try and control your arse-hole-ish-ness a bit eh?

I am having a nervous breakdance
Cheers Pid, interesting you should say that about the other guitar part. This isn't a finished track, we're still waiting for the other guitarist to add his parts so you're totally 'in' on what we're doing with it.
Really? That's funny.

Have you heard a Swedish group called Logh? You should check them out.. I think you'd like it.

**** geez, there's a difference between saying you don't like something and saying the equivilant of 'that is the worst thing in the world and it just caused me to evacuate my brain out of my arse'.

Saying you think Ste should give up music on top of that (apparently based just on listening to one work-in-progress song) is just so overblown it's nuts.

Try and control your arse-hole-ish-ness a bit eh?
Man, do you exaggerate or what?? What I said was "It's boring" which to me it is and there's no sugarcoating it. It's monotonous and too simple for post rock. I also never implied anyone should quit making music, what I said was more the equivalent of "don't quit your dayjob".

Again, I don't know the guy so I understand the outrage caused by my comments, but on the other hand, if people can dump on films and directors I think I can do the same about other people's art...might be considered rude from your standpoint, but that's also a bit hypocritical methinks...*shrug*

Again, I don't know the guy so I understand the outrage caused by my comments, but on the other hand, if people can dump on films and directors I think I can do the same about other people's art...might be considered rude from your standpoint, but that's also a bit hypocritical methinks...*shrug*
Its just that, even if Mini isn't around much these days, a lot of us have a special place in our Heart for him I have one for you also it is just different

there's a frog in my snake oil
I also never implied anyone should quit making music, what I said was more the equivalent of "don't quit your dayjob".
Oh alright, fair play you never said that. Just came across that way to me at the time.

(God knows what else i think you've said. Right now I'm deciding you've mentioned a deep affection for Mick Hucknell in the past )

Originally Posted by adi
It ain't hypocritical to temper your temper when criticising someone to their face, but bitching freely about the famous on a msg board they'll never see (unless they're Bruce Willis). But whatever man, i've got a feeling we ain't gonna agree on this.

Minion, I cant say I love the stuff, but I do think it has promise, for whatever thats worth.

Randomly visiting for now
Hey Mini,

I really liked your band's gig. Especially Battleships and i really loved Dial cause it reminded me a lot of a few Radiohead songs for some reason (which is a very good thing). What kind of set up was it? It sounds really intimate, was it? I've never been to see a band that has music like yours before, probably cause I'm very into punk, grunge and alternative rock for the most part. And the venues I go to have that kind of music as well. I appreciate what you guys are doing though. Keep at it. Your music sounds very sophisticated and well thought out which is rare for a new band, or have you guys been together for ages and this is your big break?

~Joel

I See You When You're Sleeping
No, I'm just an asshole by nature...nothing personal...I do the same for friends who are aspiring musicians as well as perfect strangers...can't have you going around thinking you can make a living out of it. I'd feel personally responsible for the waste of time and effort...:
Just thought It'd be a good time to reply to this and say I have now started to 'make a living out of it'.

www.miniontv.co.uk