Minion's Mini Movie Bits

→ in
Tools    

I See You When You're Sleeping
I joined an online rental programme a few months ago and just thought I'd jump on the bandwagon in the reviews section. Actually, I wouldn't call these 'reviews' but merely thoughts and conclusions.

I threw quite alot of movies on my rental list, so I'm basically getting everything at random.

The Island
(2005)

The Island

I've never been a fan of Michael Bay (The Rock (1996), Armageddon (1998), Pearl Harbor (2001) ) but I like science fiction with a dystopian theme so decided to try 'The Island'.

Like most of Bay's work, the characters seem hollow and the storyline too riddled with action packed scenes to really progress as a fluent mental provoking narrative.

I felt patronised by the theme of the film and really hoped this wasn't an introduction to dystopia to anybody watching. If it was, try 'Logans Run' (1976) instead because 'The Island' is basically modelled on it.

2/5

Thanks Minion... I started watching this last year but was interrupted about mid-way though it and still haven't gotten around to finishing it....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I wasn't a big fan of The Island either, all she did was run and scream.

Suspect's Reviews

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect
all she did was run and scream.
and there lies the genius of it...

Horrorphiliac

I See You When You're Sleeping
Zack Snyder, 2006

I went to the cinema on three separate occasions to see this film but each time just couldn't commit to buying the ticket. I don't know why, it obviously looked like the perfect film to see on the big screen but just couldn't bring myself to enjoy it while all the hype was about. I'm glad I didn't see it then as I would've been well more disappointed with it than I am with it now.

The film is a massive example of style over substance. The acting, narration, story and characters are all awful. Really, I was so bored with this trash I was tempted to watch Big Brother or something.

Don't get me wrong, the film looks great (the painted on six packs did get tiresome though) but that's just it. It's like they looked at Gladiator, Lord of the Rings and Sin City and took out the worst bits. I hate the fact that the '300' soldiers are almost indestructible and hardly lose a battle or amount any casualties, it meant that for me the film had no heart as there was no drama and no human substance to cling onto.

4/10

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
The Island was pretty disappointing, I agree.

300 was a bloody macho movies. I couldn't help wondering who was watching thinking that beating up kids was the way to raise them tough.

Of course the story which is embellished somewhat but mostly historically true is a pretty great one. Too bad the movie didn't do a better job of showing that.

My fav part? The queen gutting the traitor. "This will not be quick, you won't enjoy it, I am not your queen."

*shrugs*

It was something like that anyway. She took his words and flung them back at him beautifully.