NETFLIX MAY BE CRUSHED in 175 days...

Tools    

https://www.newsmax.com/finance/step.../22/id/917104/

Once Disney pulls all it's movies/shows, and with the Disney+ very low $6.99/mo. fee, along with Netflix's tremendous debt, Netflix might be in deep, deep doo-do.

I hope someone cuts a deal with TCM and others who hold ownership of all the classic films, and start a classic film stream. They really shouldn't be held hostage by cable. Of course it takes two to tango.

~Doc

I haven't had cable service in 20 years, but after reading that article it seems I'm not the only one who doesn't want to pay big bucks to the big cable guys. I don't do Netflix streaming but I'm one of the few left who still do the Netflix DVD in the mail plan, I'm sure Netflix will end that very soon. Luckily for me Russia likes old American movies.

Netflix should focus on originals and acquiring indie/foreign film and TV shows. If they had content that would otherwise be difficult to come by they could stay well above water. It's what drew people to their service in the first place.

I'm one of the few left who still do the Netflix DVD in the mail plan, I'm sure Netflix will end that very soon.
I doubt it. 99% of the movies in my Netflix Q are not available for streaming.

I think that Disney is the one going to get screwed. Because Disney's properties will lose about 150 million households of streaming clients when they remove all their content from Netflix. And Disney's service is not going to reach the same scale anytime soon (if ever).

I think Disney+ will end up just like Google+ when Google tried to beat Facebook on its own game. Things like Netflix and Facebook depend a lot on having tons of people already in the system (since more people = more money = more content). Entering competitor have to battle uphill to gain customers. Not many people will just cancel their Netflix subscription just to switch it Disney.

Anyway, Netflix is doing very well competing with Amazon prime video which is a operated by a company much bigger than either Disney or Netflix. By the way, Netflix market capitalization is similar to Disney's despite the fact Netflix operates in only one segment and Disney operates in many, many lines of entertainment.

In the long run, Netflix has the upper hand: Disney represents the old entertainment industry while Netflix represents the new IT based entertainment industry. I think the fact all the old Hollywood studios are fusing into Disney, who is acting very very aggressively indicates that the old studios appear to feel like they are in a corner.

Not a problem if you just pirate everything

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

What I'm saying is I bet the Netflix dvd in the mail plan ends soon.
You misunderstood me. I have about 180 movies in my Q & I have the 2-DVDs-out-at-a-time plan. Very few of these 180 movies are available for streaming, but they are available as a dvd.

If Netflix dropped the dvd plan there would be hardly anything for me to watch.

You misunderstood me. I have about 180 movies in my Q & I have the 2-DVDs-out-at-a-time plan. Very few of these 180 movies are available for streaming, but they are available as a dvd.

If Netflix dropped the dvd plan there would be hardly anything for me to watch.
OK, I see. I'd heard that their streaming catalog was different than the DVD in the mail. Not many people do the DVDs in the mail anymore. I do though.

They can only offer a movie for streaming if it’s available. As I said before, more people have the dvd plan than you might imagine. I go in & out of the streaming plan. When I have totally exhausted all the streaming options, I cancel it as there’s no sense paying for something that is unavailable. I never cancel my dvd plan.

As I said before, more people have the dvd plan than you might imagine....
I don't think so. Just a few days ago, I picked up my Netflix dvd at the post office. As I was also shipping a package, I asked the lady clerk, who I know, if they still get a lot of the Netflix dvds? She told me very few people like around 12-15, got the dvds at that postal branch. AND she told me years ago when Netflix first started up there were so many dvds coming into that post office that they had to have a special tub bin just for them. She's worked at the same post office since the 80s, so I believe her when she says the Netflix dvd in the mail service is down considerably from it's heyday.

Yeah, it's days are probably numbered. Wouldn't shock me if it stuck around for years, though, based on a handful of really dedicated customers. Might go up in price though.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Yeah, it's days are probably numbered. Wouldn't shock me if it stuck around for years, though, based on a handful of really dedicated customers. Might go up in price though.

Is this in reference to Netflix ? or did I miss something.

I don't think anyone is going anywhere. We are just in in a circle heading back to where we started with cable bundling. Multiple services, monthly fee for each, gotta have my shows.

I think the big thing will be an app or service that seamlessly integrates multiple services to allow fluid movement between different provider content. Then again, somebody probably already has.

You're probably right about NF sticking around. But due to the enormous loss of content (Disney owns a huge chunk of the production market), and with their dangerous amount of debt ($10 billion+), this will be a bad combination for their solvency.

Also, Disney+ will be charging $7/mo., whereas NF is $11/mo. That alone will cause many subscribers to switch.

If NF survives it's debt load, it will surely have to cut down on its large production schedule. They might decide to go the niche route, which, depending upon it's target style, might keep it well in the game.

My dream would be if someone stepped up to offer a true classic film stream to feature pre cell phone eras, or even pre-1980s movies, going back to the 1930s. That would take some deal making with all the present owners of classic content; but there's a market out there for it.

~Doc

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Has Amazon started making money yet?

That Netflix install base and the data itself is worth something. Let's not overestimate Disney. What do they really do outside of superheroes and their catalogue of characters and they won't do adult content.

Netflix is owning a lot of stuff. Movies for tweens and teens that don't get made for theaters. Stand-up comedy, which is super cheap content. Their originals (Narcos, The Crown, Ozark, ST, and the biggest show ever, Dark) .

I'll wait till Disney+ comes along and then not until they combine ESPN+ with it, until I believe in too much.

Disney now owns roughly one-third of the film industry. It's impossible to imagine that they won't shoulder aside every other content streamer-- even Hulu, which they own. All of their owned content and production will suddenly not be available to NF, Amazon, and the rest. We'll know in 6 months; maybe before...

The Adventure Starts Here!
I don't think so. Just a few days ago, I picked up my Netflix dvd at the post office. As I was also shipping a package, I asked the lady clerk, who I know, if they still get a lot of the Netflix dvds? She told me very few people like around 12-15, got the dvds at that postal branch. AND she told me years ago when Netflix first started up there were so many dvds coming into that post office that they had to have a special tub bin just for them. She's worked at the same post office since the 80s, so I believe her when she says the Netflix dvd in the mail service is down considerably from it's heyday.
DVD delivery is down, but I think that's partly because their streaming is so much fuller. We used to do DVDs ... until their streaming became robust enough that we ditched the DVD portion. I completely forgot they even still HAD a DVD service.

Disney now owns roughly one-third of the film industry..
Don't they own more than that? @The Rodent has talked about that before. I though he said they had something like 60%? They do make the movies that people see and make money so they have much more clout than an independent film maker would.

I'm hoping cable's hold is broken, so that TCM could offer it's own monthly streaming service.