Classic Comedy Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Duck Soup

Rufus T. Firefly: Remember, you're fighting for this woman's honor, which is probably more than she ever did.

With the Marx Brothers at their most craziest, this ranks at a VERY close second to my all time favorite, Night at the Opera. The nuthouse is now an open house and the nuts run the country.
There are quite a number of great skits throughout this film. Most well known is the Mirror Skit as Harpo, disguised as Groucho, pantomines him from the other side of a very recently broken mirror.

Another favorite of mine is the torment that Edgar Kennedy goes through as the Lemonade Vendor; as a kid I simply loved Chico and Harpo giving him hell and now I really appreciate Kennedy's ability to play the foil with such skill and frustration.

As I've said, this is one of my favorites of a Marx Brothers fanboy and a d@mn fine addition to this HoF!

Top Hat (Mark Sandrich, 1935)

So glad this was nominated. I say that a lot! Well, that's because I've enjoyed the diversity in this HoF, a lot of great noms here!...If you learn one thing about my movie taste it's that I love old musicals. I'm talking really old like 1930-1959, other years are good too, of course. But I love the really old musicals as they have a certain charm that went out of style after the 1950s.

There's nobody smoother on the dance floor than Fred Astaire. Astaire is the man! He's easy to relate to as he's not the tall, handsome leading man type. Let's face it he's a bit different looking. I mean Fred Astaire is no ladies man and yet he's perfect as he's likeable and we can relate to him, as he has to work at winning the girl.

And what a girl he wins! Ginger Rogers...goes with Fred Astaire like ice goes with cream. Sure Fred had different female dance partners over the years and some were better dancers than Ginger, but none of them had the down to earth charm that Ginger has. And yes she can dance up a storm too. Ginger and Fred are legendary.

I'd seen Top Hat before, but it had been over a decade...My favorite number was the second dance number No Strings (I'm Fancy Free) with Fred Astaire doing a noisy tap dance in the hotel room above a slumbering Ginger. Loved the choreography which was lose and light and so full of optimistic exuberance. The second part of that with the sand dance was clever too, loved the soft shoe, and the art deco hotel room set was a great place to dance in!

The next music number with Fred and Ginger taking cover from the rain in a band stand gazebo in Isn't This a Lovely Day (to be Caught in the Rain) was my other favorite. Lots of charm and innovation in this number. Actually all the music/dance numbers are beautifully staged and quite unique. A big shout out to the great Irving Berlin who wrote the music numbers (melody and lyrics).

Did I mention that Venice set, wow! I read that it was 300 feet long and took up two entire sound stages. Nowadays with CG everywhere, it might be hard for those use to modern movies to be impressed by a set like that, and that's a shame as the craftsmanship and artistry that was put into movies like Top Hat was half of their charm. The rest of the charm came from the beauty and glamour of it all. Great nom.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Top Hat 1935.png
Views:	614
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	53878   Click image for larger version

Name:	th.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	53879  

Finished off Nothing Sacred and The Lavender Hill Mob which I enjoyed both of very much. Just need to write them up and this will leave me with Sherlock Jr and that'll do it for me.

Finished off Nothing Sacred and The Lavender Hill Mob which I enjoyed both of very much. Just need to write them up and this will leave me with Sherlock Jr and that'll do it for me.

Pretty sure Sherlock Jr is going to be disqualified having seen @AlexWilder in a month

Pretty sure Sherlock Jr is going to be disqualified having seen @AlexWilder in a month
Just watched It's a Gift and True Confession. I'll have those reviews up later.

Got some free time this week to catch up but I'll hold off on Sherlock Jr and Trouble in Paradise for now.

Is June 1st when we're finishing?

Got some free time this week to catch up but I'll hold off on Sherlock Jr and Trouble in Paradise for now.

I think so...real pity about Trouble in Paradise as I think that was a contender to win it all.

The Lavender Hill Mob

This movie was overall okay. I wish they would have expanded more on the characters and ideas of the heist, and I think the last part dragged a lot more. But the ending was just great, where we see the final reveal with the police officer. I liked the structure as well. But something just didn't hold my attention, I found myself dozing off a bit during some of the dialogue parts. But not at all bad, I just wish they could have made it a bit more interesting.

Finished with my list sent. I loved both Sherlock Jr and Trouble in Paradise, I’m sad I didn’t get to vote for them...

Finished with my list sent. I loved both Sherlock Jr and Trouble in Paradise, I’m sad I didn’t get to vote for them...

Yeah hopefully someone who loved Trouble in Paradise will nominate it for the 19th Hall of Fame which should start off in the next week or so.

I think so...real pity about Trouble in Paradise as I think that was a contender to win it all.
June 1st works for me.

I had Trouble in Paradise on my 30s countdown list. It would have been contending for my top spot.

The Lavender Hill Mob (1951)

A paradoxical title leads us into this wonderful farcical crime comedy. The story is clever enough-- the writers reportedly having been advised by the Bank of England on how to steal and export gold bullion. But it is the near flawless acting from heavyweights Alec Guinness and Stanley Holloway, with journeyman support from the recognizable Sidney James, along with Alfie Bass, that helps carry the picture. There’s even an early cameo from Audrey Hepburn in her first speaking roll in a big film. Every nuance is expressed perfectly by Guinness and Holloway, almost making the dialogue irrelevant.

But the dialogue
is relevant, and we’re supplied with an occasional bit of help from a narrator to set the scenario. Briefly: a meek bank clerk dreams up a way to steal bullion from his bank, export it to France, and live out his life in South America. His main associate (Holloway) is able to facilitate disguising the bullion. Along the way they enlist the help of two seasoned burglars.

There is fascinating photography, especially of the cityscapes in London. There’s even an impressive chase scene through the city’s streets and avenues, which is one of the earliest of its type to my memory.

It seems that in the English speaking world of film, the Brits dominated the wacky comedy style during the 1950s. To be sure, there were memorable comedy films from the U.S. in that era, but they were often situational or sexually suggestive type comedies. There were dozens of hilarious films from Ealing and other Brit studios, for example 1955’s The Lady Killers with Guinness and Peter Sellers; and my all time favorite, The Green Man (1956), with Alistair Sim and Terry-Thomas. In the U.S. we didn’t really see much wacky comedy of the Brit type until the early 1960s, for example It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (1963).

It’s interesting to note that there was no Hays type code in the U.K. at the time. The writers could have easily had the thieves get away with their crime. But reportedly the studio was worried that the film would have been kept out of the American market
due to the code, so that was kept in mind during production.

If folks haven’t yet seen this classic crime comedy, they ought to consider treating themselves to a rental or other method of watching. Th
is cast and crew really know how it’s done.

~Doc

Nothing Sacred

Dr. Enoch Downer: [Speaking to Wally Cook] You're a newspaperman. I can smell 'em. I've always been able to smell 'em. Excuse me while I open the window?

This has been a very delightful new film for me. Enjoying Lombard even more than I have in the past. Well, not as much as I did in Virtue, but pretty d@mn close. Chuckling quite often throughout the film at this screwball comedy that pokes fun at, not only the media, but at us, the public that gets caught up in the moment of a "heartbreak story" with a mistaken belief of a woman who is supposed to be dying of radium poisoning.
From this little dark premise is some lighthearted humor along with a few physical comedy mixed into the mix.
It doesn't necessarily go overboard and retains it's charm throughout. Especially with two of the secondary characters; the editor, Oliver Stone (especially when in a rage) played by Walter Connolly and the occasionally tipsy Dr. Enoch Downer played by Charles Winninger.
And speaking of doctors, I can't forget to mention the cameo of character actor Sig Ruman playing Dr. Emil Eggelhoffer. Whom I've enjoyed in so many flicks in the past.

This is one of those hidden gems that I love to discover in these HoFs.
Thank you, CR!

Not even going to try and describe the plot of His Girl Friday the dialogue and action move along so quickly that it feels like you have to watch this film four or five times to understand what the hell is going on. Anyways the barebones plot of the story is Cary Grant doesn't want to lose his wife to an insurance salesman from Albany. They decide to get into one last case about a bookkeeper who killed a policeman. After that yeah I was pretty much completely lost.

The film is funny and the characters are charming, I laughed quite a bit which then proceeded to me to have to go back and rewatch and find out what I missed. Grant was charming though I feel like Rosalind Russell stole the show (and I could track her character) the supporting ones good luck.

No clue with how many stars I would give this one probably won't decide until I put together my final list.

Not even going to try and describe the plot of His Girl Friday the dialogue and action move along so quickly that it feels like you have to watch this film four or five times to understand what the hell is going on.
Very true, the first time I seen His Girl Friday I liked it, but I was confused by the complicated plot and fast breaking dialogue. However with each rewatch I got more and more out of the movie. I'll be watching it again for the 4th time for this HoF. Looking forward to a seeing it again.

I feel like Rosalind Russell stole the show (and I could track her character) the supporting ones good luck.
Yeah, she pretty much stole it for me too. Loved her in this.

Arsenic and Old Lace (Frank Capra, 1944)

I've watched this now three times! I'm a huge fan of Cary Grant and of Frank Capra films...and Prisillia Lane is sure easy on the eyes. And despite all those pluses, each time that I've watched Arsenic and Old Lace I dislike it a bit more. I find it a bore to get through and last night's viewing was no different. The movie seemed to drag on and on. I assume it drags for me because I'm bored and I'm bored because I don't have any connection or caring for the characters or their situations. It all seems so cartoon like, it seems so forced and so contrived. It's what's called 'broad comedy' which is my least favorite type of comedy.

Arsenic and Old Lace reminds me of the old Abbott and Costello films, gawd I hate those! It's comedy is chiefly composed of the director going for extreme close ups of the actors hamming it up for the camera...as if to tell the audience that they just seen something humorous. Instead of the comedy coming naturally or from clever writing, it's all force feed to us by mugging actors.

Cary Grant is one of the greatest comic actors of all time, but he's just annoying in his over acting here. But it's not his fault, I read that Frank Capra kept asking for retakes and telling the actors to make it even more broader. Even Cary Grant disliked his own performance. I've enjoyed Prisillia Lane in other movies but here she basically gets to do nothing but a few mugging close ups at the camera.

But what really doesn't work is the casting of Raymond Massey as the heavy. On Broadway, Boris Karloff did the role and helped to make the play a success. He wanted to do the film but couldn't get out of his stage play contract. If he had done the film he would have added a lighter touch to the roll. Even when playing bad guys Karloff comes off as intelligent and thoughtful albeit still evil. Raymond Massey however was way, way too intense for a comedy of this type. He played the role as if it was a edge of your seat thriller.

About the only high light of the movie for me is Peter Lorre. Lorre adds a sympathetic and comic touch to his character. Arsenic and Old Lace is my lest favorite Capra film that I've seen.
Attachments

Name:	arsenic_and_old_lace-19.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	54019  

The Lavender Hill Mob (1951)

A good one! I rather liked this and I'd seen it before too. It's one of those films that make for a good rewatch as it has this easy to like flow to it, and of course Alec Guinness is very amiable as well. I loved the sets like the one shown above in the work shop room and the boarding house set. There's just something charming about those old boarding houses and the quaint old ladies who usually run them. Visually for me the highlight was the Eiffel Tower scenes with the mad dash down the service stairs being quite dizzying and visually striking. That scene with the revolving background reminded me of Hitchcock's work. In fact the entire movie could have been made by Hitchcock in his early British film making days. Hitch's The Lady Vanishes would pair well with The Lavender Hill Mob.

Did you guys spot Audrey? I thought that might be her look a-like (Maggie McNamara) but my wife knew it was Audrey...Loved the way the opening and closing scenes nicely framed the movie and gave a satisfying ending to a charming story.
Attachments

Name:	1351602-e34d9e77a430790b3bc80f26791b8090.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	54095