MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
My #23. When people say this is not a horror film or a vampire film, I have to respectfully disagree. Likewise, when people get hung up on the sex of one of the main characters, I believe they're missing the point. Apparently in the novel, there is a description of something which happens to Ely (Lina Leandersson) which somehow affects her on a basic level, but that description is nowhere to be found in the film. True, the film does have one brief moment where Ely's new friend Oskar (Kåre Hedebrant) does see a small patch of protruding pubic hair but nothing resembling anything more than hair. When Ely warns Oskar that she's "not a girl", I took that to be the truth for she's much older than any girl Oskar's age. Even though the film is semi-blood-soaked, the heart and soul of it is the tentative, but tender relationship between two outsider loners who are allowed to feel comfortable with themselves while spending time with each other. The snowbound Swedish landscape is also an important "character" in the film. Allegedly, the title of this film comes from a Morrissey song about letting the right one into your heart, but I prefer to extend that to let the right vampire into your home so that being can get in and stay in your heart. However, others believe it has a much more sinister interpretation.
My List
1. Gremlins
2. Poltergeist
4. The Innocents
5. An American Werewolf in London.
9. Altered Siates
16. Wait Until Dark
17. Carrie
18. The Omen
22. Shaun of the Dead
23. Let the Right One In
24. Invasion of the Body Snatchers ('78)
25. Diabolique

I rated it at #15. I was beginning to fear it wouldn't make it into the list, and I'm really glad it did.
Probably the best 2009 Swedish vampire movie ever put to film.

movies can be okay...
My list thus far...with only 11 still hidden, though I'm pretty sure at least 6 of 'em will be a no show.

1 - Hereditary (2018)
2 - [REC] (2007)
3 - Angst (1983)
6 - Funny Games (1997)
8 - Let the Right One In (2008)
11 - mother! (2017)
12 - The Blair Witch Project (1999)
13 - The Host (2006)
15 - Don't Look Now (1973)
18 - The Skin I Live In (2011)
20 - Onibaba (1964)
22 - Jacob's Ladder (1990)
23 - 28 Days Later (2002)
25 - Martyrs (2008)
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

[Let The Right One In]My #23. When people say this is not a horror film or a vampire film, I have to respectfully disagree. Likewise, when people get hung up on the sex of one of the main characters, I believe they're missing the point. Apparently in the novel, there is a description of something which happens to Ely (Lina Leandersson) which somehow affects her on a basic level, but that description is nowhere to be found in the film. True, the film does have one brief moment where Ely's new friend Oskar (Kåre Hedebrant) does see a small patch of protruding pubic hair but nothing resembling anything more than hair. When Ely warns Oskar that she's "not a girl", I took that to be the truth for she's much older than any girl Oskar's age.
Agreed and that's how I seen Ely too. I'd never considered her to be a transgender vampire, but hey maybe a remake is in order with Scarlett Johansson

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Ultimate Experience In Grueling Terror

The Evil Dead (1981)
Runtime: 1 Hr 25 Mins
Production Company: Renaissance Pictures
Distributed by New Line Cinema
Production Budget: $350,000
Box Office: $2,400,000
Twenty-One Votes
262 Points (25, 21, 21, 19, 19, 19, 17, 16, 14, 14, 13, 11, 10, 8, 8, 7, 7, 7, 3, 2, 1)
High Voter: @TheUsualSuspect

In 1981, a few friends got a camera, some lights and grip gear and headed into the woods to create a film that would become iconic in the horror genre. A film that would spawn sequels, remakes, video games, comic books, toys, a stage musical that sprays the first few rows with blood and a television show. A film that would inspire me to go into the film industry myself and desperately try to attend Fan Expos to get my book autographed by the main star. I fell in love with horror because of this film. I own way too many t-shirts with Bruce Campbell's face on it and my prediction came true as all 3 films have finally made this list. The film is indeed The Evil Dead.

The film is actually based on a 30-Minute short from Raimi, called Within The Woods. The assistant editor was Joel Coen and he was inspired to finance his own film with his brother Ethan Coen; that film was Blood Simple.

@Iroquois says that he's the bigger fan of Evil Dead 2 despite someone else having the film higher than him. I'd argue that no one is a bigger fan of these movies than I.

Despite the sequel being a bigger budgeted film that is more or less the same story, there is a unique charm to this film. The extremely low-budget aspect adds a sense of realism that is missing from current horror films, even found footage ones. The Evil Dead introduced us to Ash Williams. Of course he's a big coward in this movie and we don't get to see his more Bad-Ass side until the sequel, but the ground work is there.

The evil itself, the first person view gliding over water, through trees and vehicles. Low budget meant using a 4x4 and a wheelbarrow, but the imagery is striking. The sound that accompanies this is seared into my brain.

I still cringe to this day with that one shot of the pencil going into the ankle. My God, you can decapitate, annihilate, and chop people into tiny little pieces and I'm fine. Show me something so small and spine tingling and I feel the pain in my own ankle. On top of that they dig it in deeper and wiggle it around. Ouch.

Bad continuity (I love it) is part of the charm, it (to me) adds to the chaotic evil that is attacking this world. Nothing seems right in this cabin. I applaud the sheer audacity that these young kids had to make this movie and not only that, for it to stand the test of time and become one of the best horror films of all-time.

I'm a little sad it didn't make the top ten, but am glad that the original placed the highest and that so many people did vote for it. The Evil Dead is the go to definition of a horror movie for me and I hope my kid will want to watch it one day....and be scared out of his mind.

Evil Dead was No.7 on my list. First few watches I just accepted it as a fun,cheesy slasher. On subsequent re-watches I realised how masterful some scenes are at creating suspense and tension.

1. The Blair Witch Project (1999)
3. Funny Games (1997)
4. The Witch (2015)
6. Shaun of the Dead
7. Evil Dead
13. [REC]
14. Hereditary
15. Invasion of the body snatchers (1978)
16. Creep (2014)
17. The Wicker Man (1973)
18. Saw
20. An American Werewolf in London
21. Gremlins

The Evil Dead has always been one of my favorites and I'm glad it placed higher than its sequels. I think of horror movies as usually being either scary or gory, and I feel like this might have one of the best combinations. I absolutely hated the remake.

1. An American Werewolf in London (#16)
2. The Devil's Rejects (#74)
5. Kill List (No Show)
8. The Last House on the Left (#90)
9. Near Dark (No Show)
10. Deep Red (#66)
11. Possession (#33)
12. The Evil Dead (#13)
15. 28 Days Later (#23)
16. Carrie (#45)
20. The Omen (#35)
22. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (#84)
23. Hellraiser (#53)

Quick update, as I have 12 films left on my list, and there's a possibility all 12 of them could make it.

1. Definitely
2. Definitely
3. Definitely
4. Definitely
5. Definitely
6. Definitely
7. Night of the Living Dead
8. Nosferatu (original)
9. Definitely
10. Definitely
11. The Bride of Frankenstein
12. Peeping Tom
13. Most Likely
14. Most Likely
15. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
16. Get Out
17. Most Likely
18. Maybe
19. Saw
20. Scream
21. Freaks
22. A Quiet Place
23. Repulsion
24. The Babadook
25. The Invisible Man

I did not have room for a rewatch nor a spot on my list for Evil Dead. I like all in the trilogy to different degrees though and the first one I saw way way back. It’s a fun memory just stumbling over it on the tv. I really gotta get a rewatch in soon. Feels like it could be a great time to revisit that one again.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Evil Dead was another film where my bro and I went to a midnight sneak preview. He loved the whole thing and was scared out of his mind while I was laughing a lot [both at the amateurishness and the knowing humor] but had to admit every once in a while something pretty damn scary and unforseen happened. The good old days.

I nominated Let the Right One In for the previous general HoF so people probably knew it was going to be high on my list. It's my favorite vampire film by quite a wide margin and in my general top-10. That little gender related matter is the only thing I don't like in it but I try to ignore it (for @mark f - that short shot in the film clearly shows that the film is true to the book in the "I'm not a girl" matter but like you I live in self-deception).

The Evil Dead is my favorite of the series and if this list had been done ten to fifteen years ago I would have voted it. It would likely still be in my top-50 though. One of the few films that really scared me as a kid (I was probably ten when I first saw it) and also one the big reasons I become a horror fan so it does have nostalgic value.

Seen: 77/88

My list so far...

1. 1st or 2nd
2. Let the Right One In (2008) - 14th
3. Ringu (1998) - 31st
4. Nope
5. Yep
6. Nope
7. Ginger Snaps (2000) - 91st
8. Nope
9. Yep
10. Yep
11. Nope
12. The Beyond (1981) - 93rd
13. Maybe
14. Deep Red (1975) - 66th
15. Nope
16. The Descent (2005) - 40th
17. Nope
18. Nope
19. Probably
20. The Conjuring (2013) - 29th
21. Dog Soldiers (2002) - 94th
22. Nope
23. Maybe
24. Nope
25. Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural (1973) - 1 pointer

Let the Right One In was my closest of the last few. It would certainly make my top 30. It's more psychologically interesting for me but it's an excellent film nonetheless.

My List
#1. The Witch (Robert Eggers, 2015)
#3. Possession (Andrzej Zulawski, 1981)
#4. Perfect Blue (Satoshi Kon, 1997)
#5. Repulsion (Roman Polanski, 1965)
#6. Deep Red (Dario Argento, 1975)
#7. Eyes Without a Face (Georges Franju, 1960)
#11. Onibaba (Kineto Shindo, 1964)
#12. Nosferatu the Vampyre (Werner Herzog, 1979)
#14. The Innocents (Jack Clayton, 1981)
#15. Angst (Gerald Kargl, 1983)
#17. The Wailing (Hong-jin Na, 2016)
#21. Vampyr (Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1932)
#22. Raw (Julia Ducournau, 2016)
#25. The Haunting (Robert Wise, 1963)

My #2 and #8 are going to make it.

Let the Right One In was my #2. When I went to see it I'd only vaguely heard of it and so it felt like a great discovery, and I've recommended it to as many people as possible. The American remake Let Me In isn't too bad, but it's dumbed down in numerous places and the actress is way too pretty to be playing a 200 year old androgynous vampire, but that's Hollywood for you. The original is a masterpiece.

My List:

1. The Omen (#35)
2. Let the Right One In (#14)
3. Night of the Living Dead (#17)
4. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) (#70)
7. An American Werewolf in London (#16)
8. Nosferatu (#27)
10. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (#25)
11. Diabolique (#75)
15. Repulsion (#24)
16. Peeping Tom (#54)
17. Bride of Frankenstein (#68)
18. Antichrist (#82)
19. Don’t Look Now (#64)
20. Hausu (#57)
23. Vampyr (#65)